Ayla und das Tal der Großen Mutter by Jean…

Ayla und das Tal der Großen Mutter (original 1990; edition 2002)

by Jean M. Auel, Jean M. Auel (Author)

Title:Ayla und das Tal der Großen Mutter
Authors:Jean M. Auel
Other authors:Jean M. Auel (Author)
Info:Heyne (2002), Taschenbuch, 953 pages

The Plains of Passage by Jean M. Auel (1990)

Recently added byBabsW, CompetaPedro, eden1013, private library, roezbd26, LitaVore, Aoeth, Joelwb, waiting4beckett
Legacy LibrariesEeva-Liisa Manner

English (49)  Spanish (4)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (56)
A reread of this book. I always enjoy this series, and this book is probably my favorite. Ayla and Jondalar have made the decision to leave the Mamutoi and make the trip back to Jondalar's home. Along the way they meet up with several other groups of people, some good and some not.

Ayla is nervous about leaving the Mamutoi, who have adopted her and given her a family of her own. But she loves Jondalar and will go with him despite her qualms. Because she was raised by "flatheads" after her own family died in an earthquake, she frequently faces prejudice from those who don't understand. However, she is always able to win over her detractors by way of her healing skills or personality.

Jondalar started out his Journey with his brother, but ended up with Ayla after a cave lion killed his brother and injured him. While happy to be with Ayla, he is homesick for his own people and convinces Ayla to come with him. After spending several months with the Mamutoi, it is time to move on. Having made the Journey this far, Jondalar knows the way back home and is anxious to get there.

I liked the descriptions of the land and animals that they saw along the way, but my favorite parts were when they encountered other people. The first of these are the Sharamudoi, with whom Jondalar and his brother had stayed before. They arrive to find that the wife of the leader has been hurt and Ayla immediately steps into healer mode to help her. She is successful, of course, which puts her in good graces with the rest of the people. I also enjoyed the reactions to Ayla's wolf and horses. They stay for awhile with the group, who want them to stay, but Jondalar insists that they keep moving.

The next group they encounter are the S'Armunai, with a welcome that is not so pleasant. The leader of the group is a woman who stole the leadership and is mentally unbalanced. Jondalar is captured and is confined with the other men. He does what he can to help the other men while he tries to figure out how to escape and find Ayla. Meanwhile, she has been looking for him, and watches the camp for several days while trying to find the best way to rescue him. How she does so is very dramatic and intense. Of course, she also insists on staying long enough to treat those who have been injured and neglected, before they leave to continue their Journey.

Next up are the Losadunai, who live at the edge of the glacier Jondalar and Ayla must cross to get to his home. Again, they are warmly welcomed and treated well. I enjoyed seeing Ayla getting to know everyone. There is also some drama involving a young girl who was assaulted by some young men. Ayla's empathy helps the girl move past it and embrace her future. As Ayla and Jondalar continue their journey they run into those same young men who have attacked a Clan (flathead) man and woman. After reading them the riot act and sending them on their way, Ayla treats the injured man as they share their fire and a meal. I liked how seeing Ayla with a man of the Clan helped Jondalar understand her a little better.

There is danger as they cross the glacier at the end of the winter. The arrival of spring temperatures can cause dangerous melting, putting them at greater risk of injury or death. After several close calls, they make it off the glacier, to the home cave of some of Jondalar's family. A bit of a romantic tangle is present with a young woman there that adds a bit of angst. Ayla also encounters a man of "mixed spirits" half clan and half Other, who reminds her of her son Durc, left behind in the first book of the series. I really enjoyed their connection and seeing Ayla ease his anger about the way his mother was treated. After a brief period with them, they at last reach Jondalar's home, with a cliffhanger ending as we wait to see how they are welcomed.

I always enjoy seeing Ayla win over new people, and this book was no exception. I also loved seeing reactions to the animals, especially Wolf. I especially loved his part in the rescue of Jondalar from the S'Armunai. It is also really sweet to see Wolf with the various children.

This was not my first reread of this book and it won't be the last. ( )
  scoutmomskf | Sep 15, 2016 |
Once again, Jean M. Auel manages to snatch her readers up into a mythical past of mammoths and humans and their forgotten cousins. Ayla and Jondalar have overcome their internal struggles and prejudices and bring their makeshift animal family across a distant Ice Age. I loved getting to meet the different peoples and their many different inventions. But I especially loved the chance to return to more about the Clan. You don't realize how much you miss them and their strange ways after the first book, until moments like these. Of course, there's plenty of action and passion and moments that made me laugh out loud. Because the beautiful thing about Auel's story is not simply her mastery of the English language, but for crafting one of the most endearing love stories I've found. ( )
  JSilverwood | Aug 27, 2016 |
Review: The Plains of Passage by Jean M. Auel. This is the fourth book to Jean Auel’s Earth’s Children Series. The reason I enjoy this series is because it was so long ago that I read it that I wanted to read the adventures of Ayla and Jondalar from a different viewpoint. I love adventure, the Stone Age era, the characters, their culture, and the creative way things where made back then. Jean Auel gives so much research information of that era that just fascinates me. The writing is very descriptive and that has always been a highlight in her books. Some of the environment descriptions are a bit too much at times but that’s what kept me turning the pages. This book starts out with Jondalar and Ayla taking a long journey across many miles of treacherous terrain while heading back to Jondalar’s home, the People of the Zelandonii’s. They headed west to get back to the Great Mother River which they followed all the way to the west end. Along the way they met several different types of people, many were friendly, and they made new friends. They also came across some trouble with another group of people who were led by a female xenia-type warrior leader who hated men and kept them in a cage like structure with little food, less water and no warm clothing for the winter months. These men were so abused that they were dying off slowly day by day. Plus, Jondalar was one of her captives for a while until Ayla spoilt of the women’s barbaric events when she rode into the S’Armunai camp on horseback to rescue Jondalar. There was more to that scene which was interesting and Ayla justified the events their leader was holding over her group of women warriors. In between some of the adventurous there were some graphic scenes of Ayla and Jondalar having what they called Pleasures….Within other scenes Ayla was considered a healer and helped many people along the way. It was amazing that back then they used datura, wormwood, and chamomile which I even heard my grandmother used during her lifetime. It’s a good story with a feeling of being part of it covering human issues that would not go away, being forgotten, bigotry, hatred, weakness, honor, love and the whole host of human conditions and how they started….. The ending was a special surprise…..! ( )
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
Wasn't sure I was going to like returning to the Stone Age, but got completely drawn in. I enjoyed Auel's periodic geologic and botanical commentary and was very impressed with Ayla and Jondalar's creativity and inventiveness. ( )
  Lylee | Apr 3, 2016 |
Far too much time spent describing the scenery. ( )
  Karin7 | Jan 20, 2016 |

Jean M. Auelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burr, SandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eklöf, MargaretaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kattelus, KirstiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ohinmaa, TiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rantanen, AulisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
the last to come home,
whose namesake appears in these pages,

and for MICHAEL,
who looks forward with her,
with love.

The woman caught a glimpse of movement through the dusty haze ahead and wondered if it was the wolf she had seen loping in front of them earlier.
French language editions are published in two volumes: Le Grand Voyage and Le retour d'Ayla. Do not combine these.

blurb: With her companion, Jondalar, Ayla sets out on her most dangerous and daring journey - away from the welcoming hearth of the Mammoth Hunters and into the unknown. Their odyssey spans a beautiful but treacherous continent, the windswept grasslands of Ice Age Europe, casting the bold pair among strangers. Some will become friends, intrigued by Ayla’s ways of taming wild horses and wolves. Others will become fierce enemies, threatened by what they cannot understand. But always the orphaned Ayla and the wandering Jondalar will heed the voice and vision that urges them on, deeper into the dark and spectacular heart of an unmapped world. For they are driven to reach that place on earth they can call him. Together, they hold their future in their hands.

Jean M. Auel’s enthralling Earth’s Children® series has become a literary phenomenon, beloved by readers around the world. In a brilliant novel as vividly authentic and entertaining as those that came before, Jean M. Auel returns us to the earliest days of humankind and to the captivating adventures of the courageous woman called Ayla.

With her companion, Jondalar, Ayla sets out on her most dangerous and daring journey--away from the welcoming hearths of the Mammoth Hunters and into the unknown. Their odyssey spans a beautiful but sparsely populated and treacherous continent, the windswept grasslands of Ice Age Europe, casting the pair among strangers. Some will be intrigued by Ayla and Jondalar, with their many innovative skills, including the taming of wild horses and a wolf; others will avoid them, threatened by what they cannot understand; and some will threaten them. But Ayla, with no memory of her own people, and Jondalar, with a hunger to return to his, are impelled by their own deep drives to continue their trek across the spectacular heart of an unmapped world to find that place they can both call home.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:52 -0400)

As Ayla and Jondalar travel across Ice Age Europe they encounter savage enemies and brave friends in their search for a place they can call home.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,805,018 books! | Top bar: Always visible