dismiss

Lords of the storm by David A. McIntee

Lords of the storm (edition 1995)

by David A. McIntee

The 5th Doctor and Turlough land in the midd le of the mightiest conflict of all time, the war between th e Sontarans and the Rutans. The Doctor suspects a link betwe en the battle and the unusual illnesses amoung the castes of Raghi. '
Member:rabbitprincess
Title:Lords of the storm
Authors:David A. McIntee
Info:London : Doctor Who, 1995.
Rating:**
Tags:doctor who, fifth doctor, sci-fi, book sale: church, read in 2020

Lords of the Storm by David A. McIntee (Author)

This is a Missing Adventure featuring Five and Turlough on a human colony planet called Raghi that becomes the latest battlefront in the ongoing war between the Sontarans and the Rutan. I found this book very slow to get going and to maintain its momentum, even though it had a fair bit going for it (namely a female character who is also a pilot). The book really didn’t pick up until the Sontarans and Rutans showed up, and that was about 2/3 of the way through. Of the three Missing Adventures I’ve read so far, two felt ponderous and not really much FUN. Not sure if I’ve just been having rotten luck with this line of stories or whether the one I read and liked (The Plotters) was an exception rather than the rule. I’ll have to try another (I have several) to see what the answer is. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Jun 30, 2020 |
I had high hopes for Lords of the Storm, but it fell a little short. Well, maybe it's better to say that we met in the middle, the book and I. It's a tidy, engaging story of the Doctor and Turlough stumbling into a Sontaran plot against a human colony. The plot itself is fairly clever, but it seems to take forever to for the reader to come around to seeing the full scope of it. After all, what do Sontarans want with a bunch of humans? Matters pick up speed once the Rutan Host arrives in all their blorpy alien glory and the Sontarans actually have something to do. There are the usual close scrapes, heroic sacrifices, and wild dashes through corridors, and the story ends with People Doing the Right Things.

It's a solid, workmanlike offering, but it didn't leave me craving another Doctor Who book, as some of the best ones do. ( )
  melonbrawl | Feb 25, 2015 |
A space adventure in the future with the Fifth Doctor, Turlough, and devious plans by the Sontarans in their war against the Rutan. ( )
  mari_reads | Mar 18, 2012 |

Fifth Doctor, Turlough and Sontarans, on a human colony with an Indian cultural background, and the Rutans make an appearance as well. Lots of good continuity for both Turlough and the Sontarans, and lots of good world-building, combined with a decent plot; one to look out for. ( )
  nwhyte | Aug 15, 2011 |
Lords of the Storm is a missing adventure starring the Fifth Doctor and Turlough, one I ended up enjoying a good deal more than I had expected. It was a relatively fast-paced story involving the Sontarans and a planet that got caught up in a plot to ensnare their enemies, the Rutan. There was a lot of action, some decent secondary characters, a sprinkling of crack, and I loved the way Turlough was written. This ended up being fun to read. ( )
  mscongeniality | Dec 30, 2007 |

Belongs to Series

Doctor Who (MA Novel)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,600,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible