Beautiful Boy: A Father's Journey Through His Son's Addiction

by David Sheff

The story of one teenager's descent into methamphetamine addiction is told from his father's point of view, describing how a varsity athlete and honor student became addicted to the dangerous drug and its impact on his family.

I heard about this book and the movie that is coming out soon from a friend. It was marked down from $15.99 on Amazon to $5.18 so I bought it and couldn't put it down.

The boy in this book is addicted to meth, but I highly recommend it to anyone who has any kind of addiction or mental illness in the family or knows someone that has addiction or mental illness in the family.

I also recommend it to parents who are divorced or considering getting divorced, even if your kids are not doing drugs. The author talks about the effect joint custody had on their son. He also talks about the effects that having to travel to visit each parent had on their son. His son agrees it was very hard on him to have to leave the other parent for long periods of time. "I was always missing someone" he said. So, read this book, Divorcing Parents!!! ( )
  Jinjer | Jul 19, 2021 |
David Scheff's son is an addict and David tells his experience with having to go through it as a father and the effect it has on his family. Absolutely heart breaking at times. ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Jul 16, 2021 |
Required reading for family members who are dealing with the co-dependency that goes hand in hand with having a loved one in active addiction. Read for school. ( )
  Rellwood74 | Feb 18, 2021 |
Beautiful Boy by David Sheff follows the journey of a son battling with drug addiction through the eyes of his father. Beautiful Boy follows the growth of Nic, David's son, from birth all the way to adulthood. In this recapitulation of Nic's life, David finds the places in which he feels personally responsible for Nic's drug addiction. While carrying blame for Nic's drug addiction, David Sheff shows just how devastating drug addiction is for the addict along with their family. It highlights the challenges of sobriety and the uncertainty that follows both drug addicts and those in their lives. Beautiful Boy is a poignant piece about the very real battle of drug addiction. ( )
  emmab23 | Nov 4, 2020 |
Beautiful Boy is amazingly written and gut-wrenching to read. Not only does it follow the true story of Nic Sheff told by his father David, it educates the reader on the topic of drug abuse as a whole. Most chapters are dedicated to telling his own personal narrative, but others are meant to display the research the Sheff did to try to understand his son's addiction. This makes the book especially educational. Since this is a true story, it makes the novel that much more emotional to read. I would recommend this book to be mandatory for all high school students to read because it gives an interesting perspective of drug addiction, from a parents point of view. ( )
  mgolden22 | Nov 4, 2020 |

David Sheffprimary authorall editionscalculated
Heald, Anthonysecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When you cross the street,
Take my hand.
--JOHN LENNON, "Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)"
This book is for the men and women who have dedicated their lives to understanding and combating addiction at rehabs, hospitals, research centers, sober-living and half-way houses, and organizations devoted to education about drug abuse, as well as the anonymous - the brave ones who keep coming back - at countless twelve-step meetings every day and night throughout the world - to them and their families: the people who understand my family's story because they have lived and are living it, the families of the addicted - their children, brothers and sisters, friends, partners, husbands and wives, and parents like me. "It's just that you can't help them and it's all so discouraging," wrote F. Scott Fitzgerald. But the truth is, you do help them, and you help one another. You helped me. Along with them, this book is dedicated to my wife, Karen Barbour, and my children, Nic, Jasper and Daisy Sheff.
Howdy Pop, God, I miss you guys so much.
Some of the material in this book appeared in the article, "My Addicted Son," New York Times Magazine, February 6, 2005

What had happened to my beautiful boy? To our family? What did I do wrong? Those are the wrenching questions that haunted every moment of David Sheff’s journey through his son Nic’s addiction to drugs and tentative steps toward recovery. Before Nic Sheff became addicted to crystal meth, he was a charming boy, joyous and funny, a varsity athlete and honor student adored by his two younger siblings. After meth, he was a trembling wraith who lied, stole, and lived on the streets. David Sheff traces the first subtle warning signs: the denial, the 3 A.M. phone calls (is it Nic? the police? the hospital?), the rehabs. His preoccupation with Nic became an addiction in itself, and the obsessive worry and stress took a tremendous toll. But as a journalist, he instinctively researched every avenue of treatment that might save his son and refused to give up on Nic.
Beautiful Boy is a fiercely candid memoir that brings immediacy to the emotional rollercoaster of loving a child who seems beyond help. [retrieved 7/23/2014 from Amazon.com]

Nic Sheff wrote his own account of his life and addiction: Tweak

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,421,496 books! | Top bar: Always visible