Antsy Does Time by Neal Shusterman
3111955,576 (4.14)20
Fourteen-year-old Anthony "Antsy" Bonano learns about life, death, and a lot more when he tries to help a friend with a terminal illness feel hopeful about the future.

Oh I love Antsy and the situations he gets into and the friends he makes. I love how Shusterman gets everything but the kitchen sink in these books, but makes them seem natural and real. Slapstick, pathos, wit, poignancy, romance, adventure.... The only problem was that I inhaled the book, and the third isn't out yet. Despite my ginormous to-read lists, I might have to reread these.

I don't possess the self-preservation instinct. I've got the this-frying-pan-isn't-hot-enough-let's-try-the-fire instinct."

"I wouldn't invalidate his pain [by comparing it mine]. Every problem is massive until something more massive comes along."

"In this world, there is a fine line between enlightenment and brain damage, and I have to say that Skaterdud grinds that line perfectly balanced."" ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Narrated by the author. When Antsy learns that classmate Gunnar has been diagnosed with a rare disease and only has months to live, Antsy donates a month of his own life to Gunnar. Soon everyone at school wants to donate months and a movement is born. But is Gunnar really dying or is this his way of dealing with a family that's falling apart? Neal Schusterman does a credible job reading his own work, especially voicing the incredulous Antsy. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
I read this book because the author also wrote [b:Unwind|764347|Unwind|Neal Shusterman|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1255833059s/764347.jpg|750423] and that was pretty good, but this one was great. It's almost like it was written by a completely different person, as the story and writing style are so different. This book is hilarious in parts and generally good throughout. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
Sequel to the Schwa. Interesting plot that will keep readers involved. Good characters. ( )
  librarian1204 | Apr 26, 2013 |
For Readers:

Well, the first thing you should know is that this is the sequel to Shusterman's The Schwa was Here. I'm not sure this book is as good--it's not as funny or poignant--but it's still worth reading to find out more about Antsy Bonano. These books are not actually about Antsy's weird friends (the Schwa, or in this case, Gunnar Umlaut, a kid obsessed with his own mortality). Instead they are about watching Antsy grow as a young man. What I like about these books is Antsy's basic humanity. He's definitely someone you would want on your side. If you liked The Schwa was Here, this is worth reading. If you didn't like it, skip this one, because it's more of the same.

I Liked the Schwa was Here, so I enjoyed this book. The humor is darker, and it grapples with that biggest of human topics-death. Gunnar is a kid in Antsy's 9th grade class who announces one day that he only has sixth months to live. As a joke, Antsy gives him one month of his own life. From there, suddenly it seems like all of Brooklyn wants to help Gunnar out. But Antsy stumbles on some dark secrets, and finds out that things are not always what they seem...

For Educators and Librarians:

This book is worth having if you have kids who liked The Schwa was Here, or you like having complete collections of an author's books. Language and content-wise, this book is perfectly appropriate for middle school. But the themes are pretty adult-some kids might be depressed by the aura of death that surrounds the story. Of course, other kids will eat it up, so there you go.

I found this to be a slower read. I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you have the money, this is a good book to have. If you are on a limited budget, though, there are better Shusterman books out there.

Reading level: 11+
Appropriateness: Language and content is appropriate; adult themes may turn kids off (death, mortality, etc.)
Kids who would like this book: Kids who liked Antsy Bonano in The Schwa, maybe your goth kids (sorry, if that isn't PC) ( )
  ALelliott | Oct 5, 2011 |
The voice of Antsey is very prominent and rings with truth. He is a boy with a sarcastic look on life but makes the most out of any situation. The main theme in this book was all about life and the value of it. It’s a story about friendship and the support anyone should have. Difficult times strike every single person in this book but with the power to give a month of your life away to a friend anything is possible.
I wish I could talk more about how much I loved this book, but I can’t without giving too much away. You’ll just have to read for yourself!
added by SPSVLibrary | editSPSVLibrary

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,794,187 books! | Top bar: Always visible