Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

by Douglas Adams

Series: Dirk Gently (1)

12,358202364 (3.89)2 / 352
The investigations of Dirk Gently, a private detective who is more interested in telekinesis, quantum mechanics and lunch than fiddling around with fingerprint powders, produce startling and unexpected results.

English (198)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (202)
Alright I'm going to be controversial but this story is better than Hitchhikers guide. It's funny, witty, smart, and will have you rolling on the floor. I absolutely love this book. It's a shame there is only 3 books with this character in the world ( )
  darksaint | Apr 19, 2021 |
Prior to my BFF giving me this book and the second Dirk Gently book, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul, for my Birthday a couple years ago, I had no idea that Douglas Adams had written other books than the ones in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. I'm so glad she set me straight about that!

While I think The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is probably his best work, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency isn't far behind. Also, I think it's a bit unfair to compare the two since the first started out as a radio series before being rewritten into a novel and polished.

Regardless, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency is everything you could hope for from a Douglas Adams novel. It's Sci-Fi that doesn't take its self seriously, and it's a wonderful way to escape from reality for a bit. It also makes you wonder if the story isn't more real than reality as we know it, which is what I love about Adams' writing. I'm greatly looking forward to The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul. ( )
  FortifiedByBooks | Jan 5, 2021 |
I keep trying to read various Douglas Adams works because so many people seem to find them wildly amusing adventures. Most of the time, I'm just left confused and feeling a bit like I've missed the boat. ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |
I laughed out loud a couple of times and it was really nice to get into DA’s old style of storytelling again, but I didn’t connect fully with the characters and story. ( )
  Vividrogers | Dec 20, 2020 |
I read the print version of this book long ago (in fact, I owned it, but it has mysteriously disappeared), but thought the full-cast audio version sounded fun. And it was--a lot of fun! Of course, Adams is a perennial favourite of mine, and can pretty much do no wrong, so your mileage may vary. I like these books only slightly less than the Hitchhiker's Guide series, and Adams is at his witty best in them. ( )
  sdramsey | Dec 14, 2020 |

Douglas Adamsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Boyd, BillyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carter, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Colman, OliviaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dahlén, KimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maggs, DirkDirectorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sachs, AndrewNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A thumping good detective-ghost-horror-who dunnit-time travel-romantic-musical-comedy-epic -The author
To my mother, who liked the bit about the horse
Janet Thrift
This time there would be no witnesses.
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.
'Don't you understand that we need to be childish in order to understand? Only a child sees things with perfect clarity, because it hasn't developed all those filters which prevent us from seeing things that we don't expect to see?'
If the Universe came to an end every time there was some uncertainty about what had happened in it, it would never have got beyond the first picosecond. And many of course don't. It's like a human body, you see. A few cuts and bruises here and there don't hurt it. Not even major surgery if it's done properly. Paradoxes are just the scar tissue. Time and space heal themselves up around them and people simply remember a version of events which makes as much sense as they require it to make.

Wikipedia description: Dirk bills himself as a "holistic detective" who makes use of "the fundamental interconnectedness of all things" to solve the whole crime, and find the whole person. This involves running up large expense accounts and then claiming that every item (such as needing to go to a tropical beach in the Bahamas for three weeks) was, due to the "fundamental interconnectedness of all things", actually a vital part of the investigation. Challenged on this point in the first novel, he claims that he cannot in fairness be considered to have ripped anybody off, because none of his clients have paid him yet. He maintains an office at 33a Peckender St. N1 London, with telephone number 01-354 9112 (407-2882 in the advertising campaign for the book).
Gently has an odd facility for accurate assumptions, as every wild guess he makes turns out to be true. Once a student at St. Cedd's College, Cambridge, he left in disgrace when he attempted to acquire money by selling exam papers for the upcoming tests. His fellow students were convinced that he had produced the papers under hypnosis—in reality, he had simply studied previous papers and determined potential patterns in the questions. However when his papers turned out to be exactly the same as the real papers, to the very comma, he was arrested and sent to prison.
Dirk Gently says: 'All
things are fundamentally
interconnected.'
(passion4reading)
Your usual, run-
of-the-mill detective-time
travel-ghost story.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,670,452 books! | Top bar: Always visible