dismiss

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

by Douglas Adams

Series: Dirk Gently (1)

11,943195355 (3.89)2 / 341
The investigations of Dirk Gently, a private detective who is more interested in telekinesis, quantum mechanics and lunch than fiddling around with fingerprint powders, produce startling and unexpected results.

English (191)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (195)
Do yourself a favor and listen to the audiobook which is narrated by Douglas Adams. This dude just gets me. ( )
  dayspring83 | Jul 3, 2020 |
His boss is griping
girlfriend is getting fed up
then, there's this sofa... ( )
1 vote Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |
Benim için okuması zor bir kitap oldu bunun nedeni hem kitabın çok küçük puntolu olması hem de kitapta çok fazla sayıda baskı hatası olmasıydı. Aynı zamanda espriler çok güzel olmasına rağmen çeviri sırasında çok düz bir şekilde çevrildiği için komikliğini kaybetmiş.
Okuyabilirseniz İngilizce okumanızı veya başka bir yayınevinden çıkmasını beklemenizi öneririm.

Kitaba gelecek olursam kitabın başı çok sıkıcıydı ama Dirk Gently'nin adı geçtikten sonra kitap haraketlenmeye başlıyor, Dirk ortaya çıktıktan sonra ise kitabı elinizden bırakamayacak hale geliyorsunuz. İkinci kitabı da kısa bir süre içinde okuyacağım. ( )
  Tobizume | Jun 9, 2020 |
I last read this when I was really young and was shortly getting off a fantastic kick of HHGttG wanting MORE, as, I assume, most people do when they get on a Douglas Adams kick.

Like the other series, every page is filled with wonderfully witty and fascinating and wise (crack) quotes that will delight and amaze and generally blow most writing away by the sheer audacity.

To think that Douglas Adams never considered himself a writer! Truly amazing. And of course us fans just snicker at that and keep reading.

I admit to really liking this but not loving it as much as the Hitchhiker series. I don't know. Maybe I just wanted more of the idiot and less of the incomprehensible mystic in systems-theory sheep's clothing.

What can I say? As an adult, I'm doing an about-face and saying that this might be better by far. It's still wacky and zany and full of oddball moments, but it's closer to Earth... mostly... just not always in the same time-zone. :) And on top of that, it was fun as hell getting into all the old computer stuff and getting into the poetry and the music and ESPECIALLY the problem of the couch.

The couch stayed with me all these years and it was such a wonderful character. It almost reaches the same heights as a certain fridge in the next book. Of which I'm doing a re-read next. :)

Now, to be sure, I probably wouldn't have done a re-read at all if it hadn't been for the BBC tv production of the same name, and even as I was watching it I was going... "Is this remotely the same?"

Definitive answer: SOME. lol. Not all that much. Characters, some. Situations, hints. Zany? That's full-tilt. :) All said, no complaints on either side of the tv screen. )

I'm glad to be doing all of the above. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
DNF @ 20%.
I enjoyed tv-adaptation (season 1 at least, before all the drama about producers), but this book was so hard to get through. I read at least 100 pages and don't care about any of characters or the story itself. Maybe it's lost in translation (I'm reading this in russian), but I didn't get the humor.
Not for me, unfortunately:/ ( )
  Alevis | May 17, 2020 |

Douglas Adamsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Boyd, BillyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carter, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Colman, OliviaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dahlén, KimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maggs, DirkDirectorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sachs, AndrewNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A thumping good detective-ghost-horror-who dunnit-time travel-romantic-musical-comedy-epic -The author
To my mother, who liked the bit about the horse
Janet Thrift
This time there would be no witnesses.
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Wikipedia description: Dirk bills himself as a "holistic detective" who makes use of "the fundamental interconnectedness of all things" to solve the whole crime, and find the whole person. This involves running up large expense accounts and then claiming that every item (such as needing to go to a tropical beach in the Bahamas for three weeks) was, due to the "fundamental interconnectedness of all things", actually a vital part of the investigation. Challenged on this point in the first novel, he claims that he cannot in fairness be considered to have ripped anybody off, because none of his clients have paid him yet. He maintains an office at 33a Peckender St. N1 London, with telephone number 01-354 9112 (407-2882 in the advertising campaign for the book).
Gently has an odd facility for accurate assumptions, as every wild guess he makes turns out to be true. Once a student at St. Cedd's College, Cambridge, he left in disgrace when he attempted to acquire money by selling exam papers for the upcoming tests. His fellow students were convinced that he had produced the papers under hypnosis—in reality, he had simply studied previous papers and determined potential patterns in the questions. However when his papers turned out to be exactly the same as the real papers, to the very comma, he was arrested and sent to prison.
Dirk Gently says: 'All
things are fundamentally
interconnected.'
(passion4reading)
Your usual, run-
of-the-mill detective-time
travel-ghost story.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,988,306 books! | Top bar: Always visible