Cleopatra by Diane Stanley

I have always heard stories from movies about Cleopatra. Many say she was the most beautiful woman that lived. I knew she was the queen of Egypt and that she was a great ruler. I feel like this book did not do her justice. I understand that not much is known about her life because records of her life were destroyed and stautes of her were destroyed but i would have liked to know more. What i did learn was that she married Julius Caesar and then married Mark Antony. Although her biography was not the best, I enjoyed the illustrations. They reflect Egyptian culture very well. I also have to mention the great job the illustrator did in drawing Cleo, Julius Caesar, and Mark Antony. I do wish there was more information on Cleo, the book would have been more enjoyable if it had more information on her. ( )
  dmesquivel | Feb 3, 2019 |
Cleopatra ruled Egypt for 21 years, she has a reputation of being strong, beautiful, and charming. This book tells the story of her life and her great two loves. ( )
  SarahTrenticosta | May 2, 2018 |
The book, "Cleopatra" by Diane Stanley, talks about Cleopatra's life as a ruler. She became a ruler at the age of 18 and got married several times to very powerful rulers. She faces struggles and threat, but through it all she overcame most of her obstacles. She brought about the downfall of Egypt, but was still and is still known and a great leader. The book ends with her death at the age of 39.

The book, "Cleopatra" was okay. I did not enjoy reading it. I found nothing interesting about it. The pictures were the only thing I liked. I think children in 3rd grade would find this as a longer book, as opposed to 6th graders. I also found it strange that the book talked about her many marriages in a children's book. Would I read this book again? No. Would I read this book to my child? No, but I would find a different Cleopatra book and read it to my child. ( )
  kpacheco1 | Jan 31, 2018 |
This picture book about Cleopatra spans her life from becoming queen at age eighteen to her romances with Caesar and Antony to her death at age thirty-nine. The book is written in a way to easily convey the political issues Cleopatra, Octavian, and Antony faced in their battles. Taken from the notes of Plutarch, Stanley recreated an accurate portrayal of one of the most powerful women in history. Stanley also informs the reader of the main points of Cleopatra's life and the culture she came from, allowing the reader to have a sense of the queen's personality. Adding dates and historical events, this book is educational for those beginning to learn history. The pictures give the reader an accurate portrayal of how Cleopatra may have looked, showing the Roman culture of the time. With historical facts at the beginning and end of the book, Stanley successfully creates a simplified version of Cleopatra's life. ( )
  kvedros | Jan 24, 2018 |
I would utilize this book in a fourth, fifth, or sixth grade classroom because of the higher reading level of this particular text. Students could use this book to write about misconceptions about various people in history because the book mentions that most stories about Cleopatra are written by her enemies, whereas this text does not choose sides, or at least attempts not to. Every biography is somewhat biased since it is an outside source writing about a certain subject. Students can utilize the timelines and the illustration description boxes in research and as facts from the text about Cleopatra. If a teacher was doing a lesson on Egypt and/or pharaohs and the pyramids, this text could be utilized. Students could utilize the maps provided throughout the text to view where people lived and where certain events occurerd, such as the murder of her husband/brother.
  jthodesen01 | Apr 2, 2017 |

Stanley, Dianeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vennema, Petermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Cleopatra VII was eighteen years old when she bacame Queen of Egypt in the year 51 B.C. As was the custom, she ruled together with her brother, Ptolemy XIII, who was only ten.

This beautifully illustrated book (incorporating mosaic-like illustrations throughout) is a biography of Cleopatra, Queen of Egypt in the first century B. C. . This book provides excellent historical and biographical information on Cleopatra, and other important contemporaries.

Queen of Egypt at the age of eighteen, Cleopatra's passion was to untie the world under Egyptian rule. Legendary leaders risked their kingdoms to win her heart, and her epic life has inspired countless tales throughout history. A timeless story of love, war, and ambition, their pictorial biography is sure to entertain and educate.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:48 -0400)

A pictorial biography of the Queen of Egypt. Examines the life and reign of the woman who ruled Egypt from 51 to 30 B.C. and discusses her relationship with two powerful Roman leaders, Julius Caesar and Mark Antony.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,453,097 books! | Top bar: Always visible