The End of History and the Last Man (1992)

by Francis Fukuyama

A LANDMARK WORK OF POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY. A GLOBAL BESTSELLER. STILL AS RELEVANT TODAY.Ever since its first publication in 1992, The End of History and the Last Man has provoked controversy and debate.

English (11)  Italian (1)  All languages (12)
This should be considered a "bail" because I am choosing to discontinue reading it. Many sections were fascinating, very readable and concise. My version was an online copy, which is not interactive for me as a hard copy. So much info I wanted to underline and star. I like how the author added cross references to history and lots of supporting evidence for his arguments.

However, I don't have an urgency to finish it, like so much of the histories I have read from the WEM. I wonder if I just did not care for Susan Wise Bauer's choices. I will say that many of them made reference back to previous histories on the list, which is a plus.

So for now I am going to finish my reading here, and if I get to the end of all I want to read and still have time left, maybe this will be one of the books I return to. ( )
  GRLopez | Aug 21, 2021 |
I read this sometime in the mid/late 1990s (along with a bunch of Toffler), and at the time it seemed obviously true -- fall of USSR until dotcom was "nothing is really happening anywhere" and then dotcom was "tech singularity will finally save the world". Islamism/islamic terrorism, Putin/Russia, and the new US/China antagonism are superficial challenges, but don't actually refute the core proposition of the book (as I remember it 20 years later) that we're all fighting/facing challenges/etc., but from a fairly similar intellectual frame. ( )
  octal | Jan 1, 2021 |
Utterly naive. ( )
  scottcholstad | Jan 13, 2020 |
Quite good, brings out his thesis, and explains his arguments very well. When he delves deep into philosophy some readers might go a little cross-eyed, Hobbes, Hegel, et al, but a compelling book. ( )
  charlie68 | Apr 15, 2019 |
Difficult, unique insights. ( )
  pricklybear | Mar 16, 2012 |

Konijnenbelt, AnneliesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lange, Barbara deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stjernfelt, FrederikForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,427,295 books! | Top bar: Always visible