The Gone-Away World (2008)

by Nick Harkaway

The Jorgmund Pipe is the backbone of the world, and it's on fire. Gonzo Lubitsch, professional hero and troubleshooter, is hired to put it out, but there's more to the fire, and the Pipe itself, than meets the eye. The job will take Gonzo and his best friend, our narrator, back to their own beginnings.… (more)
    Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson (ahstrick)
    Rant: An Oral Biography of Buster Casey by Chuck Palahniuk (artificialbunny)
    Just a Couple of Days by Tony Vigorito (knomad)
    The Scar by China Miéville (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: New weird remade people. Plus pirates.
    Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany (vwinsloe)
    The Dervish House by Ian McDonald (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: Another look at hallucinogenic warfare.
    Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer (hairball)
    hairball: Maybe it's the fuzzy cover of the one book, but they remind me of each other.
    Parasites Like Us by Adam Johnson (knomad)
    Vurt by Jeff Noon (KatyBee)
    The History Of Our World Beyond The Wave: A Fantasy by R. E. Klein (ahstrick)
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Industry gone wild creates apocalypse, yet survivors still work for the company. Surprising and touching ending

English (99)  German (1)  All languages (100)
Easily one of the enjoyable books I've read in the last year. Imagine Catch-22 written by Kurt Vonnegut: it's a comparison every review seems to make, but it's dead-on, imo.

It's a little too self-consciously Quirky! in places, but that's easily compensated for with some truly poignant moments amidst the gonzo world Harkaway writes. I loved it. ( )
  qBaz | May 28, 2021 |
Unfortunately I only read the first 50 pages or so... despite having enjoyed Gnomon, the way this was written frustrated me a bit- the language just seemed a bit too contrived, too entertaining. Some other time I may be in the mood- it is a long book and I simply did not feel up to being committed to it when I have so many other good books waiting to be read. ( )
  keithostertag | Apr 30, 2021 |
I loved this book. The Gone-Away World is a rip-roaring apocalyptic adventure story delivered in almost (but not really) stream-of-consciousness style. It is complete with danger, love, mystery, tension, ninjas, mimes and... well, I'll say no more because I don't want to spoil it for any other readers. Suffice to say that it's a wild ride with lots & lots of hilarious and heart-breaking digressions along the way. Once Harkaway begins to wrap things up, the denouement pulls it all together beautifully. ( )
1 vote ScoLgo | Feb 28, 2021 |
Questo è un libro di idee, non di trama.
Nonostante qualche colpo di scena ben piazzato il plot non mi ha convinto del tutto... Ma le idee, cazzo, questo libro ne è pieno: numerose, intelligentissime e spiazzanti...
peccato che non bastino a far arrivare il libro al suo massimo potenziale, magari al livello di capolavoro. Certo, nessuno pretendeva tanto, per 2 motivi soprattutto: 1) questo è un libro d'esordio per Nick Harkaway, 2) questo libro è letteralmente soffocato da parenti illustri, a partire dal padre dell'autore, il celebre Le Carrè fino ad arrivare al padre letterario di questo romanzo: Kurt Vonnegut, autore fin troppo presente che con la sua pesante eredità impedisce a "il mondo dopo la fine del mondo" di volare alto. L'autore ha comunque talento e le idee, come ho già detto, non mancano.. speriamo solo che riesca ad affrancarsi da due padri così ingombranti e sfornare il capolavoro che credo sia capace di sfornare!
P.S. 20 EURO PER QUESTA EDIZIONE CHE SEMBRA STAMPATA SU CARTONE PER PACCHI CON INCHIOSTRO DILUITO????? MA STIAMO SCHERZANDO????!!!!
giusto uno sfogo per i prezzi surreali dei libri, soprattutto dei libri editi dalla collana strade blu: ridicoli!!
  JoeProtagoras | Jan 28, 2021 |
This is an interesting book. It is crude but not explicit, and has some language, but the story is unique and engaging. There are some chapters near the beginning that absolutely drag, but most don't. It really needs a 2.5 rating. ( )
  Ranbato | Dec 17, 2020 |

Harkaway, Nickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bates, MattNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Biavasco, AnnamariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guani, ValentinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Langowski, JürgenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mikhalkova, VivianeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.
This, I did.

-- T.E. Lawrence
For my parents.
You know who you are.
The lights went out in the Nameless Bar just after nine.
The tree of nonsense is watered with error, and from its branches swing the pumpkins of disaster.

Alternate Title: The Wages of Gonzo Lubitsch

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,559,055 books! | Top bar: Always visible