The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway

The Gone-Away World (2008)

by Nick Harkaway

Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson (ahstrick)
    Just a Couple of Days by Tony Vigorito (knomad)
    Rant: An Oral Biography of Buster Casey by Chuck Palahniuk (artificialbunny)
    Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany (vwinsloe)
    Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer (hairball)
    hairball: Maybe it's the fuzzy cover of the one book, but they remind me of each other.
    The Scar by China Miéville (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: New weird remade people. Plus pirates.
    Vurt by Jeff Noon (KatyBee)
    The History Of Our World Beyond The Wave: A Fantasy by R. E. Klein (ahstrick)
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Industry gone wild creates apocalypse, yet survivors still work for the company. Surprising and touching ending
    Parasites Like Us by Adam Johnson (knomad)

English (91)  German (1)  All languages (92)
Annoying! We are left hung in the middle of a crisis in the first section, so the author can take us leisurely into the past lives of his characters.
Drawn out so long, I abandoned them all. ( )
  2wonderY | Jun 5, 2019 |
This book was awesome! I highly recommend it to anyone who loves science fiction or hates the dehumanizing structures of corporations. The book is an excellent modern example of the former and a clever, articulate invective against the latter.

Corporations have been on my mind a lot lately, mostly because of non-fiction books and lectures I have come across, as well as recent political debates. I found it delightful to read a work of fiction that pulls a lot of those threads together and presents the ideas in a new way with strings of words that haven't been used before. His taxonomy of "pencilneck" company men was particularly enjoyable.

The book is an examination of the multiple personas that people have and the way that corporations exploit them. The company man is expected to squash his most human traits and to become a cog in the machine, with no qualms about immoral or inhuman actions. Those that are unwilling or unable to switch off their humanity are replaced by those who can.

I am surprised that I had not heard of this book before. It was published four years ago. I only happened to find it at the library because the paperback has a very bright orange cover that called out to me to pick it up. This book is the perfect piece of science fiction for our times. I hope some of my friends read it so I can discuss it with them. ( )
  joshuagomez | May 31, 2019 |
Pretty amazing. Exciting, innovative wild and only occasionally too wordy (roughly in the middle), hence 4 not 5 stars. ( )
  Swybourn | May 29, 2019 |
Loved the story, and that kept me going, imaginative and scary. The author's writing style, verbose, stylistic, disjointed, bombastic is not usually something I appreciate. In this case, the story and some characters were strong enough to hold me. I skipped untold numbers of words as they did not advance the story, or excite me. But read it, lovely story. ( )
  RekhainBC | Feb 15, 2019 |
Masterful, hilarious and so much fun to read. I can't believe this is a first novel. Can't wait to read everything he's written. ( )
  ADLutz | Jan 8, 2019 |

Nick Harkawayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bates, MattNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Biavasco, AnnamariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guani, ValentinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Langowski, JürgenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mikhalkova, VivianeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.
This, I did.

-- T.E. Lawrence
For my parents.
You know who you are.
The lights went out in the Nameless Bar just after nine.
The tree of nonsense is watered with error, and from its branches swing the pumpkins of disaster.

Alternate Title: The Wages of Gonzo Lubitsch

A hilarious, action-packed look at the apocalypse that combines a touching tale of friendship, a thrilling war story, and an all out kung-fu infusedmission to save the world.Gonzo Lubitch and his best friend have been inseparable since birth. They grew up together, they studiedmartial arts together, they rebelled in college together, and they fought in the Go-Away War together. Now, with the world in shambles and dark nightmarish clouds billowing over the wastelands, they have been tapped for an incredibly perilous mission. But they quickly realize that this assignment is not all it seems, and before it is over they will have encountered everything from mimes, ninjas, and pirates to one ultra-sinister mastermind, whose only goal is world domination. Unlike anything else, The Gone-Away World is a remarkable literary debut that will be remembered and rediscovered for years to come.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:56 -0400)

Gonzo Lubitsch and his friends, the Haulage & HazMat Emergency Civil Freebooting Company, are called into action on a mission to save humanity when the Jorgmund Pipe, the only thing keeping the Livable Zone safe from the bandits, monsters, and nightmares left in the wake of the Go Away War, becomes engulfed by fire.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,396,622 books! | Top bar: Always visible