Pitch Perfect: The Quest for Collegiate A Cappella Glory

by Mickey Rapkin

Chronicles the competition between three contending groups for the Collegiate A Cappella championship, evaluating how their achievements reflect a rising surge in the music form's popularity, as well as the diversity that has shaped its expression.

My review of this book can be found on my YouTube Vlog at:

Enjoy!
  booklover3258 | Sep 8, 2021 |
An interesting story about a fascinating subculture. It helps a lot if you've been involved in singing a cappella, but even if you hadn't, it's still an interesting book.

Makes me miss singing that stuff though. ( )
  mring42 | Jul 20, 2021 |
My rating of 3 stars should not be taken as a negative regarding this book. First of all, I have seen Pitch Perfect the movie countless times. It's one of my favorites. Therefore, when starting this book, I had anticipated it being similar at least to the movie. I was not prepared for such a history lesson. In spite of my misgivings, I did find the book interesting, if not as entertaining as I had been hoping for. If you're looking to learn the history of a cappella this book is definitely for you. Along with the history we do see some memories from members of three teams going through one season. These memories and anecdotes were the most enjoyable for me and if the entire book were made of them instead of the historical facts and figures, I probably would have enjoyed the book a bit more. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
I really wanted to like this book. I like the subject quite a bit, and I've been listening to collegiate a cappella for many years. However, the drama (real or imagined), in-fighting, and competitive aspects Rapkin decided to focus on leave me cold. Maybe this is the real thing. Maybe it's sensationalized. Either way, I would rather just listen to the music than read more stuff like this book. ( )
  eclecticlibrarian | Jan 7, 2014 |
Pretty good sportswriting, though I would have liked to read more technical explanations of how harmony effects are designed and achieved, how beatboxing works, and how the art of a capella has developed, as well as how the lesser groups train inexperienced singers to do harmony. The contest narrative and emotional ups and downs got a bit tedious. I was struck by his observation that this is a form of college pop stardom, starring your classmates.
  athenasowl | Jan 14, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,127,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible