Peace, Love and Healing: Bodymind Communication & the Path to… (1989)

by Bernie S. Siegel

431447,444 (4)None
A classic of patient empowerment, Peace, Love & Healing offered the revolutionary message that we have an innate ability to heal ourselves. Now proven by numerous scientific studies, the connection between our minds and our bodies has been increasingly accepted as fact throughout the mainstream medical community. In a new introduction, Dr. Bernie Siegel highligths current research on the relationships among consciousness, psychosocial factors, attitude and immune function. "Love and peace of mind do protect us," Siegel writes. "They allow us to overcome the problems that life hands us. They teach us to survive...to live now...to have the courage to confront each day."… (more)

Everybody loves this book. I'm the grump who doesn't. ( )
  dcmr | Jul 4, 2017 |
See page 144 for 'good patient' info
  phoenix4u2c | Jun 5, 2007 |
Siegel's first book, Love , Medicine & Miracles , has headed the paperback best-seller lists since it came out in that format over a year ago. Yes, this latest book is rather haphazardly organized. Yes, it is somewhat repetitive and rambling. Yes, indeed, it needed far better editing. But the hope, spiritual guidance, and compassion it provides, both to people with life-threatening diseases and to their friends, relatives, and health-care providers, overwhelmingly transcend any stylistic imperfections. Highly recommended reading for just about everyone. Library Journal ( )
  LTW | Sep 2, 2006 |
I highly recommend this book to people and regularly give it to anyone I know who is having extreme health problems.

The best discussion I've read describing the distinction between curing and healing. ( )
  bilbette | Aug 18, 2006 |
"That's the most interesting thing of all. The balance depends on the man's frame of mind! Understand? Which means that if he's cheerful and firm in spirit, there will be more sodium in the barrier; and no sickness, none whatever, will bring him to his death. But as soon as he loses heart, the potassium gains the upper hand and he might as well order himself a coffin..."
"The physiology of optimism. The idea is sound. Quite sound..."
"So I wouldn't be surprised...if they discovered some sort of cesium salt in about a hundred years, one that spread out in the organism if there was a clear conscience and didn't if there wasn't and it will depend on that cesium salt whether the cells of the tumor will grow or whether the tumor will clear up."

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, Cancer Ward
I Dedicate this book:

To all the loving, courageous people we have met whose lives have been healed by their disease. You are all winners. Thank you for being my teachers.
To my younger sister, Dossie. It was she who first taught me about responsibility and how to deal with adversity as we trudged the streets of Brooklyn to and from P.S. 226. And to her husband, Len, and children Sarah, David, Cynthia, and Daniel.
To Beth Rashbaum, editor and writer, for her work and perseverance. To Carol Cohen, my editor at Harper & Row, and to my agent, Victoria Pryor, for their continued support. they know how hard it is to be a scrub nurse in the o.r.)
To Julie Foley and Lucile Ranciato, who have sat by me and guided me.
To all my exceptional associates, friends, co-workers and patients.
In January of 1983 John Florio, a seventy-eight-year-old landscape gardener, was contemplating retirement.
I have the conviction that when physiology will be far enough advanced, the poet, the philospher and the physiologist will all understand each other.

Claude Bernard

In the introduction to Peace, Love and Healing Dr. Bernie Siegel writes: "Since writing Love, Medicine, and Miracles, I've received an outpouring of letters and calls from people thanking me for helping them find the path to healing. I hope what I've learning in the intervening years will yelp you, too, to find that path. My emphasis in this new book is on self-healing, that ability given to us by our Creator and too long neglected by medicine. That does not mean that I am advocating turning one's back on the medical profession - but I also do not believe in relying on it alone. Modern medicine and self-healing need not and should not be mutually exclusive. I advice using all your options, which include your innate ability to heal, as well as what science can offer you. Drawing on my experience and that of the many exceptional people I have encountered, I explore the role of the self-healing system, explain the science behind it, and show why love is physiologic."

Peace, Love and Healing challenges uo, whether wee are ill or well, to recognize how our mind influences our body and how to use this knowledge to our advantage. It challenges us to give ourselves "live" messages and to discover the paths by which we are exceptional. Dr. Siegel shows us how to be receptive to the messages our ind gives our body - how to use our dreams, recognize symbols in our lives and view illness as a message or "reset button." As important as learning how to listen is learning how to talk to our inner selves, and Dr. Siegel shows us how to be receptive to the messages our mind gives our body - how to use our dreams, recognize symbols in our lives and view illness as a message or "reset button." As important as learning how to listen is learning how to talk to our inner selves, and  Dr. Siegel shows us how to give ourselves healing messages through techniques of meditation, visualization, relaxation, and peace of mind. The help that medicine can offer is not to be ignored or denied, but Peace, Love and Healing shows us through many accounts of exceptional patients that we, ourselves, play a critical role in communication to our mind, body and healing systems.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,208,947 books! | Top bar: Always visible