Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God…

Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God (original 2008; edition 2013)

by Francis Chan (Author)

"God is love. Crazy, relentless, all-powerful love. Have you ever wondered if we're missing it? It's crazy, if you think about it. The God of the universe--the Creator of nitrogen and pine needles, galaxies and E-minor--loves us with a radical, unconditional, self-sacrificing love. And what is our typical response? We go to church, sing songs, and try not to cuss. Whether you've verbalized it yet or not ... we all know something's wrong. Does something deep inside your heart long to break free from the status quo? Are you hungry for an authentic faith that addresses the problems of our world with tangible, even radical, solutions? God is calling you to a passionate love relationship with Himself. Because the answer to religious complacency isn't working harder at a list of do's and don'ts--it's falling in love with God. And once you encounter His love, as Francis describes it, you will never be the same. Because when you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything"--Cover verso.… (more)
Member:aleq_7
Title:Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God
Authors:Francis Chan (Author)
Info:David C Cook (2013), Edition: New, Revised and Updated, 224 pages
Rating:***

Work Information

Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God by Francis Chan (2008)

作者是一個很熱情的人,他在書裡的熱情很有感染力。書中前幾章的主題是神對人的crazy love,書後面四分之三的主題是人可以怎樣回應神的愛,即使要活出激進、旁人看來「瘋狂」的人生也應該在所不惜。他特別關心貧富議題,他自己被神的愛感動、又接觸了非洲一些生活在貧困之中的朋友之後,就把他在加州的房子賣掉,一家人改住小房子,賣房子的錢拿去奉獻。他說他的朋友,很多甚至是基督徒朋友,會覺得這個決定是不明智、不負責任的,而他認為基督徒會有這樣的想法,反應出現代美國社會的基督徒,不是以聖經裡所敘述的,一心一意的方式在跟隨耶穌,「美國夢」反而取代了神在信徒心中的位置,他鼓勵基督徒要有一個願意被神改變的心。他有兩章很著重在描述,一個把神放在美國夢之上的基督徒,是什麼樣子的,並且舉了很多他生活中認識的,有這樣一份crazy love,和窮人與社會邊緣人親近的弟兄姊妹以及他們的人生選擇,作為例子來激勵讀者。 ( )
  CathyChou | Mar 11, 2022 |
i was hesitant to read this as i had hear mixed reviews.... so glad the Lord would have me read it now with all he has for me currently. great read, listened on audible :) such good encouragement and truth... oh how easy it is to wander from what the Lord really wants for us and from us! ( )
  Isaiah40 | Sep 7, 2021 |
Halfway through the book, I started drafting my review, planning to rip it apart point by point — but now that I’ve finished the book I have no desire to finish my already inordinately long review, and it’s not worth that much of your time anyway. Suffice to say: in part because it’s based on a common misinterpretation of the “lukewarm” verse in Revelation (look it up in G.K. Beale’s commentary, p. 275ff*), this book is essentially a legalistic-evangelical motivational speech, complete with threats of hell, “what will they say at your funeral?” guilt trips, sloppy argumentation, mind-boggling contradictions, and plugs for his own website.

*TL;DR - “lukewarm” refers to the water in Laodicea, which was brought to the city from two other cities nearby also with churches in them, where the water was hot and cold, respectively. Hot water had healing properties, and cold water was refreshing, whereas lukewarm water was not only useless, but also nauseating. It’s used as a metaphor for the Laodicean church which prided itself on its wealth and self-reliance; Jesus chastises it for failing to perform any useful ministry or bear witness in its city. It’s a warning against complacency, spiritual compromise, prosperity gospel, and faith without works - NOT an exhortation to get more fired up for Jesus, give away all your possessions, come to church more, etc. ( )
  exhypothesi | Mar 7, 2021 |
In the interest of full disclosure, because I imagine this fact very much shaped by reaction to Crazy Love, I listened to this book immediately – two minutes, I mean – after finishing Rob Bell’s much more controversial, and thus interesting, Love Wins. The phrase, or Bible verse, really, that most stuck with me after listening to Francis Chan read his own book (much less dramatically than Rob Bell reads his), was his instruction to love and care for “the least of these,” regardless of what sacrifices this may mean for one’s own comfort. Chan espouses several seemingly extreme ways of life and makes them sound easy and fun. Living under the median – the idea of living at or under the povery level and donating the rest of your earnings – might seem wildly appealing to anyone who hasn’t had to make such extrordinary sacrifices; it’s an idea I’ve tucked away for when I have a steady income in the (distant) future. He says that his church is donating fifty percent of its income because Jesus instructed you to love your neighbors as yourself – as, as in equal to. At one point, Chan relates a story about a young man who claims that the only reason he could possibly go on a mission trip now would be obedience. The young man doesn’t feel called or led by God to go, but he has the means and the resources and the love of God for these little ones abroad. Chan asks him what he’s waiting for; in something like this quotation, Chan tells the young man “God doesn’t say to go and help the least of these when you feel called to do so. He says to go.” Like plenty of Christian writers, he points out that the point of it all isn’t to get into heaven; the point of a personal relationship with God is about the present, about the peace and Love that God can bring to your daily life when you know and praise and love God through your actions and your interactions with others. Chan speaks of evangelism not only in terms of saving others for heaven, but rather to improve their lives in concrete – financial and otherwise – ways that just so happen also to reflect the Love of God. ( )
  revatait | Feb 21, 2021 |
All books resonate or not, depending on where you are in life.

Francis Chan no doubt is a genuine caring person who wants us all to fall in love with this God who is crazy in love with you. For recovery evangelicals (like myself) who struggle with traditional language and doctrine, parts of Crazy Love are frustrating. Chan espouses expected reformed theology.

That being said, I recommend the book for those new to faith and want to go deeper. His call is prophetic and challenging, taking serious Jesus' radical claims and expectations. Two come to mind. He said that lukewarm people call "radical" what Jesus expects of his followers. Second was the question - how does the way you live require faith? If I'm honest, often it doesn't. ( )
  nrt43 | Dec 29, 2020 |

Francis Chanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Yankoski, DanaeAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Tomlin, ChrisForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my best friend, Lisa,
for being a godly, gorgeous, excellent wife and mother
What if I said, "Stop praying"?

Have you ever wondered if we're missing it?

It's crazy, if you think about it. The God of the universe-the Creator of nitrogen and pine needles, galaxies and E-minor-loves us with a radical, unconditional, self-sacrifi cing love. And what is our typical response? We go to church, sing songs, and try not to cuss.

Whether you've verbalized it yet or not.we all know something's wrong.

Does something deep inside your heart long to break free from the status quo? Are you hungry for an authentic faith that addresses the problems of our world with tangible, even radical, solutions? God is calling you to a passionate love relationship with Himself. Because the answer to religious complacency isn't working harder at a list of do's and don'ts-it's falling in love with God. And once you encounter His love, as Francis describes it, you will never be the same.

Because when you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything.

Learn more about Crazy Love at www.crazylovebook.com

Check out Francis Chan's video blog at francischanblog.blogspot.com.
The creator of nitrogen and pine needles,galaxies and E-minor---loves us with a radical, unconditional, self-sacrificing love. God is calling you to a passionate love relationship with himself.
Does something deep inside your heart long to break free from the status quo? Are you hungry for an authentic faith that addresses the problems of our world with tangible, even radical, solutions? God is calling you to a passionate love relationship with Himself. Because the answer to religious complacency isn't working harder at a list of do's and don'ts — it's falling in love with God. And once you encounter His love, as Francis describes it, you will never be the same.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,163,148 books! | Top bar: Always visible