When Will There be Good News

When Will There be Good News (original 2008; edition 2008)

3,2731972,494 (3.95)415
Member:shayguitarra
Title:When Will There be Good News
Authors:
Info:Black Swan (2008)
Collections:Read, Your library

When Will There Be Good News? by Kate Atkinson (2008)

Case Histories: A Novel by Kate Atkinson (hbsweet)
    Started Early, Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson (KayCliff)
    The Invisible Ones by Stef Penney (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: The novels have a similar tone. Both have private investigators who are hospitalized with memory lapses, and both have bright, engaging teenage characters readers will root for.
    Odds Against by Dick Francis (hbsweet)
    What Hetty Did: Life and Letters by J. L. Carr (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Katy and Hetty seem to be two of a kind.
    The Sea Detective by Mark Douglas-Home (YossarianXeno)

English (190)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (197)
When Will There Be Good News by Kate Atkinson is the third book in her Jackson Brodie series. This novel is so much more than a simple mystery; starting with the harrowing opening, the author weaves her intricate story slowly, allowing the characters to develop fully, the plot to evolve brilliantly, and the setting to be described in detailed prose. I settled in to enjoy the book as with this author, I know the journey is going to be well worth it.

The tension was slowly increased as it was soon apparent that the characters and plot lines were on a collision course. With the suspense being brought to an almost unbearable level I found it very difficult to put the book down. Even though the story had it’s share of brutal murders and violence, it is also a carefully crafted tale of fate, love and belonging, unfolding through Atkinson’s unique writing style.

When Will There Be Good News revisits some of this author’s favorite themes of how the past can affect the future, and how the choices we make have long lasting implications. I found this book to be an excellent read and it’s left me both deeply satisfied and very excited to read the next Jackson Brodie story. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Apr 13, 2019 |
This is the first book by Kate Atkinson I have read, and it took me a bit of time to get a grip on what was on my Kindle. I am blown away by the mix of body count and humor. I love, if not the characters themselves, the way that the characters are shaped and retain their difficult dints. The co-incident count is distractingly high. I'll have to read more do discover if that is the rule or an exception. ( )
  quondame | Apr 5, 2019 |
First off, the cover of this book is so 'ladies' lit'-y that I was embarassed to read it on the bus, but luckily I got sick on Christmas eve and could read in the privacy of my own home.

I am always kind of reluctant to give any book five stars, but, honestly, I love Jackson Brodie I love multiple storylines, and I love it when huge plot points aren't given the ol' "duh Duh DUNNNN!!!" treatment. I love Kate Atkinson. ( )
  covertprestige | Feb 24, 2019 |
Another one of Atkinson's intertwined narratives featuring Jackson Brodie - and just as good as the earlier ones. Great pacing and intricate plotting; a cracking good read. ( )
  JBD1 | Feb 12, 2019 |
Even the title sounds ominous. One chapter in and my head was reeling with the gruesomeness of it all. But that was all in the past - although who is this shabby chap, lurking outside a primary school in the Yorkshire Dales and acting very furtively? It can't, surely, be Jackson Brodie the detective from earlier thrillers from this author? Or is it someone altogether more sinister, come from the past to haunt the present?

Meanwhile back in Edinburgh excitable young Regina (known to the world as Reggie because it makes a handy plot device) is getting worried about the sudden disappearance of the warm-hearted but somewhat scatty GP for whom she acts as baby-minder. The baby - possibly the most engaging baby in all fiction - has disappeared with her and what's worse, nobody else but Reggie seems to care and the GP's husband is getting more nervous and frazzled by the minute. Good news is indeed hard to come by as trouble comes thick and fast for Reggie, but will her natural feistiness see her through?

What's really striking about this book is the deftness and lightness of touch the author gives to such dark material. What could have been dense and depressing is turned into something which is racy and even funny at times without being flippant about its subject matter. There's a subplot, too, involving Jackson Brodie and a handy lesson about our cynical modern world. Trust nobody!

In short, I loved it.

enitharmon | Jan 14, 2019 |

Kate Atkinsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Crossley, StevenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'We never know we go, - when we are going
We jest and shut the door;
Fate following behind us bolts it,
And we accost no more'

Emily Dickinson
For Dave and Maureen - thanks for many good times, the best is yet to come
The heat rising up from the tarmac seemed to get trapped between the thick hedges that towered above their heads like battlements.
"A coincidence is just an explanation waiting to happen"
"I'm a goddess to him [her baby son] now," Dr Hunter laughed, "but one day I'll be the annoying old woman who wants to be taken to the supermarket".
What was new was a note, stuck on the door with chewing gum, that read, "Reggie Chase -- you cant hide from us". No apostrophe. ... In the shower room ... the walls had been spray-painted with the words, "Your dead". ... Who was "us"? Who were these people who didn't know how to use an apostrophe?
Louise had been there, been there with Archie when he was little, at the empty play parks and deserted duck ponds, suddenly aware of the nutter's sloping walk, his shifting gaze. Don't make eye contact. Walk past briskly, don't draw attention to yourself. Somewhere, in some Utopian nowhere, women walked without fear. Louise would sure like to see that place.

On a hot and beautiful day in the English countryside, six-year-old Joanna Mason witnesses an appalling crime. Thirty years later, the man convicted of the crime is released from prison.

Detective Chief Inspector Louise Monroe is also looking for a missing person, unaware that hurtling toward her is an old friend-Jackson Brodie- himself on a journey that becomes fatally interrupted.

On a hot summer day, Joanna Mason's family slowly wanders home along a country lane. A moment later, Joanna's life is changed forever...
On a dark night thirty years later, ex-detective Jackson Brodie finds himself on a train that is both crowded and late. Lost in his thoughts, he suddenly hears a shocking sound...
At the end of a long day, 16-year-old Reggie is looking forward to watching a little TV. Then a terrifying noise shatters her peaceful evening. Luckily, Reggie makes it a point to be prepared for an emergency...
These three lives come together in unexpected and deeply thrilling ways in the latest novel from Kate Atkinson, the critically acclaimed author who Harlan Coben calls "an absolute must-read."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:06 -0400)

"On a hot and beautiful day in the English countryside, six-year old Joanna Mason witnesses an appalling crime. Thirty years later, the man convicted of the crime is released from prison." "Sixteen-year-old Reggie works as a nanny for a doctor devoted to her new young son. But Dr. Hunter has gone missing, and Reggie, no stranger to bad luck and worse, seems to be the only person who is worried." "Detective Chief Inspector Louise Monroe is also looking for a missing person, unaware that hurtling toward her is an old friend - Jackson Brodie - himself on a journey that becomes fatally interrupted." "As lives and histories intersect, as past mistakes and current misfortunes collide, Jackson is caught up in the most personal, and dangerous, investigation of his life."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,122,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible