When Will There be Good News

When Will There be Good News (original 2008; edition 2008)

Member:shayguitarra
Title:When Will There be Good News
Authors:
Info:Black Swan (2008)
Collections:Read, Your library

When Will There Be Good News? by Kate Atkinson (2008)

Case Histories: A Novel by Kate Atkinson (hbsweet)
    Started Early, Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson (KayCliff)
    The Invisible Ones by Stef Penney (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: The novels have a similar tone. Both have private investigators who are hospitalized with memory lapses, and both have bright, engaging teenage characters readers will root for.
    Odds Against by Dick Francis (hbsweet)
    What Hetty Did: Life and Letters by J. L. Carr (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Katy and Hetty seem to be two of a kind.
    The Sea Detective by Mark Douglas-Home (YossarianXeno)

English (182)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (189)
Kate Atkinson sure can write. This is great storytelling - nuanced and believable characters, clever plot twists, page turning tension, and some humor as well. The best Jackson Brodie novel yet - I'm excited about reading the next one. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
When, indeed! It’s a grim world that Atkinson creates for readers, a world in which almost everyone is damaged and, to some extent, alienated. There is Joanne who survived the massacre of her mother, older sister, and younger brother at age 6 and, as an acclaimed athlete and physician, married a man possibly involved in criminal activity and plotting her murder. There is Louise, a police detective who married a successful, attentive, caring man and can’t stand him. There Jackson who married a woman because he could never bring himself to express his feelings to the woman he actually loved.

Atkinson seems particularly averse to depicting men in an unreservedly positive manner, but in fairness most of the women don’t fare particularly well either. Parenthetic observation: In an interview with Nancy Pearl Atkinson said she doesn’t understand men so she wrote Jackson as a woman. Yet Jackson’s actions and motivations are completely consistent with those of most men I know. Men and women are just not that different in many important respects.

Thank goodness for Reggie, the 16-year-old girl whose mother died, leaving her alone in the world with a delinquent older brother. Not only is she seemingly the only healthy person in Atkinson’s universe, she is genuinely likeable, competent, and resourceful.

This is the third Atkinson novel including Jackson Brodie. I can’t say it “features” him as he receives much less attention than some of the other characters. As in the earlier novels in this series, the emphasis is on character development and it is there that Atkinson excels. Page after page reveals additional quirks, attitudes, experiences, and thoughts of the characters with very little attention given to plot. Some of the characters like Reggie are genuinely appealing while Atkinson’s treatment of others like Brodie-who gets lost because he forgot to take his map, can’t get around a sheep in the road, then gets on a train going the wrong direction-is irritating. “Why was he always in the wrong place at the wrong time?” succinctly states Atkinson’s view of Brodie.

A plot does begin to appear about page 60 in “When …,” but there is certainly no hurry to give it form and substance. The story kicks into high gear when Brodie, Louise, Jackson, and Reggie wind up in the same car. Louise and Jackson play the part of the quarreling children with Reggie as the adult. Genuinely funny! Yet like so many books I have read recently, Atkinson feels a need to tie up all the secondary and tertiary plot lines after the climax.

“When …” is interesting throughout and captivatingly “can’t put down” when Louise, Jackson and Reggie join forces. She crafts a genuinely surprising resolution to the case of the missing woman, and Brodie is in for a major surprise himself. ( )
  Tatoosh | Jun 8, 2018 |
My favorite of the Jackson Brodie books.

(I feel that I should have something more substantial to say, but honestly, that's the sum total of my opinion of this book: it's the best of the Jackson Brodie books.) ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
This is the third book in the Jackson Brodie detective series. I loved it and thought it was much better than the second. The focus of the plot was mainly on three women, and less on Jackson himself. There is Reggie, a young girl who has been through a lot. Then Dr. Joanna Hunter, who employs Reggie as a nanny. Joanna‘s history is a bloody one. Finally, Louise, a detective and close friend of Jackson’s. He, on the other hand, is in a train crash and is out of commission for part of the book.

“When you had children, you measured your years in theirs.”

“Really, every time a person said good-bye to another person, they should pay attention, just in case it was the last time.”

“It was funny how sometimes you could realize you were alone in a roomful of people.” ( )
  bookworm12 | Apr 9, 2018 |
I bought this book when it came out. It came highly recommended and with a lot of splashy reviews. I had a hard time getting into the story, especially with the way the story started. It was very disconcerting.
I picked it up and put it down a number of times in the interim. This year I decided that I must persevere at least up until the half way mark; I am happy that I persevered, for this is a remarkable book, even though it is gloomy and dark.
A professor once said that a good mystery starts with the murder weapon introduced on the first page, and the murder is solved on the last with the weapon prominently featured. While not following the edict exactly, Kate Atkinson does marvelous work entering tidbits of facts, clues and descriptions that makes very little sense initially but as the story gets rolling along, the tidbits begin to fit together in a coherent manner. She has a masterful way of describing and observing the people’s surroundings with their inner voice, their personality. Her eye for detail and words make those scenes, even when it is a head fake, extremely interesting to read.
The characters are well thought out and well developed; you see them as others see them as well as how they see themselves. Not all of them are sympathetic obviously, but the reader does hang their words as the story develops. They are all flawed in their own way, they have all been damaged in their own way, which is what makes for the tapestry of the plot so intriguing and enthralling. Atkinson is the weaver of multiple complex threads to create this tapestry. Even when she telegraphs the plot twist, I didn’t mind much as I was engrossed in the telling.
Without giving away the plot, the story involves the survivor of a long ago senseless crime, a young orphan girl, and a couple of police detectives, one former and one present, their entanglements, past and present. The resolution of the full story was complete without seeming fanciful, except for a couple of the storylines felt rushed at the end, as resolutions are wont to be.
A bonus for me is that part of the story takes place in Scotland, one of my favored locales. While the comparison to the Tartan Noir School could be loosely drawn, I would place this novel on its own because it is so uniquely told.
I am now a Kate Atkinson fan. More books to buy. ( )
  pw0327 | Jan 1, 2018 |

Kate Atkinsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Crossley, StevenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'We never know we go, - when we are going
We jest and shut the door;
Fate following behind us bolts it,
And we accost no more'

Emily Dickinson
For Dave and Maureen - thanks for many good times, the best is yet to come
The heat rising up from the tarmac seemed to get trapped between the thick hedges that towered above their heads like battlements.
"A coincidence is just an explanation waiting to happen"
"I'm a goddess to him [her baby son] now," Dr Hunter laughed, "but one day I'll be the annoying old woman who wants to be taken to the supermarket".
What was new was a note, stuck on the door with chewing gum, that read, "Reggie Chase -- you cant hide from us". No apostrophe. ... In the shower room ... the walls had been spray-painted with the words, "Your dead". ... Who was "us"? Who were these people who didn't know how to use an apostrophe?
Louise had been there, been there with Archie when he was little, at the empty play parks and deserted duck ponds, suddenly aware of the nutter's sloping walk, his shifting gaze. Don't make eye contact. Walk past briskly, don't draw attention to yourself. Somewhere, in some Utopian nowhere, women walked without fear. Louise would sure like to see that place.

On a hot and beautiful day in the English countryside, six-year-old Joanna Mason witnesses an appalling crime. Thirty years later, the man convicted of the crime is released from prison.

Detective Chief Inspector Louise Monroe is also looking for a missing person, unaware that hurtling toward her is an old friend-Jackson Brodie- himself on a journey that becomes fatally interrupted.

On a hot summer day, Joanna Mason's family slowly wanders home along a country lane. A moment later, Joanna's life is changed forever...
On a dark night thirty years later, ex-detective Jackson Brodie finds himself on a train that is both crowded and late. Lost in his thoughts, he suddenly hears a shocking sound...
At the end of a long day, 16-year-old Reggie is looking forward to watching a little TV. Then a terrifying noise shatters her peaceful evening. Luckily, Reggie makes it a point to be prepared for an emergency...
These three lives come together in unexpected and deeply thrilling ways in the latest novel from Kate Atkinson, the critically acclaimed author who Harlan Coben calls "an absolute must-read."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:06 -0400)

"On a hot and beautiful day in the English countryside, six-year old Joanna Mason witnesses an appalling crime. Thirty years later, the man convicted of the crime is released from prison." "Sixteen-year-old Reggie works as a nanny for a doctor devoted to her new young son. But Dr. Hunter has gone missing, and Reggie, no stranger to bad luck and worse, seems to be the only person who is worried." "Detective Chief Inspector Louise Monroe is also looking for a missing person, unaware that hurtling toward her is an old friend - Jackson Brodie - himself on a journey that becomes fatally interrupted." "As lives and histories intersect, as past mistakes and current misfortunes collide, Jackson is caught up in the most personal, and dangerous, investigation of his life."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,809,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible