The Truth Will Out: Unmasking the Real Shakespeare

by Brenda James

The question of who wrote Shakespeare¿s plays has been the subject of furious debate among scholars for over 150 years. Everything known about the facts of William Shakespeare¿s life seems incompatible with the extraordinary genius of his writing. How could a man who left school at the age of 13, and apparently never travelled abroad have authored the incomparable Sonnets or so intricately described Renaissance Venice? Shakespeare ¿candidates¿ abound, among them Sir Francis Bacon, The Earl of Oxford, even Queen Elizabeth I herself, but none have stood up to serious scrutiny. Until now¿. This remarkable, intriguing, and provocative book offers a completely plausible new candidate; Sir Henry Neville.… (more)

I was pretty much convinced by this book that Shakespeare could not have written the plays attributed to him, and persuaded by the arguments for who likely wrote them. I really enjoyed this book. And it didn't diminish my respect for the plays or poetry of whomever wrote them. ( )
  MylesKesten | Jan 23, 2024 |
Although I find wading through Sakespeare sonnets and plays a huge bore (It must be me, I understand he is well regarded by others) reading about the authorship I do find very interesting. From the books I've read, I don't see how he could have done so much writing at the same time buying/selling real estate, theaters, ect. But then again, what do I know? Anyway, I liked the theory of book, it seemed to make make sense. ( )
  Badgerbars | Dec 28, 2007 |
Piffle. Not a shred of direct evidence linking Henry Neville with Shakespeare except two or three admittedly interesting linguistic coincidences. Only reccomended for Shakespeare industry junkies (sadly that includes me) ( )
1 vote shakespearesmonkey | Nov 10, 2007 |

Brenda Jamesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rubinstein, William D.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,024,959 books! | Top bar: Always visible