Warleggan (Poldark) by Winston Graham

Warleggan (Poldark) (original 1953; edition 2008)

by Winston Graham

3381332,536 (4.04)1 / 71
Member:KateSherrod
Title:Warleggan (Poldark)
Authors:Winston Graham
Info:Pan Macmillan (2008), Edition: Unabridged, Paperback, 480 pages

Warleggan by Winston Graham (1953)

Didn't see this one coming, Graham has created such a great antagonist to Ross Poldark and he doesn't let up in this book. Demelza rises above it all once again when Ross does the unthinkable.
  Nicole_L_Ochoa | May 6, 2017 |
Francis' partnership with Ross in the mine continues to bring the cousins closer, though it does little to pay their creditors, including the arrogant George Warleggan. Dwight and Caroline's romance blossoms, but with unexpected consequences, while an impulsive act threatens to sever Ross' ties to his wife Demelza.

I love how the author draws deep into his characters, showing their flawed, human sides, tackling their complicated personal relationships in a way that is so seldom found in novels. What a pleasure it has been for me, reading (and rereading) the stories of these fictional yet oh-so-real families in late 1700's Cornwall. ( )
  fuzzi | Apr 8, 2017 |
If you've read this book, then you know Ross does something in it that I think is highly out of character for him, but to keep this a spoiler free review I shant say what it was. However, as a whole, it was a good edition to the series and kept me guessing in some places. Well written. 4 out of 5 stars. I would recommend it. ( )
  Beammey | Dec 15, 2016 |
The most soap operatic Poldark novel so far. Star-crossed lovers! Business ups and business downs! Tragedy! Smuggling! INFIDELITY! And the ridiculous, tempestuous beauty of Cornwall. What the hell more do you want? ( )
  KateSherrod | Aug 1, 2016 |
The series has defienetely taken a turn to the darker, though it was never light weight. Still, I'm enjoying getting to know these characters and their lives. I remain puzzled by Dwight Enys, who seems to fall for the wrong woman at the drop of hat. I've been sad to see Ross and Demelza continue to fall out but there seemed a bit of hope at the end of the book. I'm still looking forward to reading the rest of them.
  amyem58 | Jul 19, 2016 |
aka The Last Gamble

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 033034496X, Paperback)

Ross Poldark plunges into a speculative mining venture which threatens his financial security and his stormy marriage to Demelza. When the old attraction between Ross and Elizabeth begins to rekindle itself, Demelza retaliates by becoming dangerously involved with a Scottish cavalry officer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:08 -0400)

When Ross and Elizabeth's old attraction rekindles itself, Demelza retaliates by becoming dangerously involved with a Scots cavalry officer. With bankruptcy an increasing possibility, the Poldarks seem to be facing disaster on all fronts.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,053,836 books! | Top bar: Always visible