Why Is God Laughing?: The Path to Joy and Spiritual Optimism (2008)

by Deepak Chopra

In this refreshing new take on spirituality, bestselling author Deepak Chopra uses a fictional tale of a comedian and his unlikely mentor to show us a path back to hope, joy, and even enlightenment—with a lot of laughter along the way.Meet Mickey Fellows. A successful L.A. comedian, he’s just a regular guy, with his fair share of fears, egocentricities, and addictions. After his father’s death, Mickey meets a mysterious stranger named Francisco, who changes his life forever. The two begin an ongoing discussion about the true nature of being. Reluctantly at first, Mickey accepts the stranger’s help and starts to explore his own life in an effort to answer the riddles Francisco poses. Mickey starts to look at those aspects of himself that he has hidden behind a wall of wisecracks all his life. Eventually Mickey realizes that authentic humor opens him up to the power of spirit—allowing him to finally make real connections with people.After taking the reader on a journey with Mickey, Chopra then spells out the lessons that Mickey’s story imparts to us: ten reasons to be optimistic, even in our challenging world. Chopra believes that the healthiest response to life is laughter from the heart, and even in the face of global turmoil, we can cultivate an internal sense of optimism. Rich with humor and practical advice,Why Is God Laughing?shows us without a doubt that there is always a reason to be grateful, that every possibility holds the promise of abundance, and that obstacles are simply opportunities in disguise. In the end, we really don’t need a reason to be happy. The power of happiness lies within each of us, just waiting to be unleashed. And Mickey Fellows’s journey shows us the way.From the Hardcover edition.… (more)

English (3)  French (1)  All languages (4)
Chopra creates the parable of L.A. comedian Mickey Fellows who, after his father's death meets Francisco. Mickey and Francisco have conversations regarding the true nature of being being, and Mickey learns the ten reasons to be optimistic - and how to truly laugh. ( )
  hermit | Nov 27, 2010 |
I seem to be going through a series of books dealing with serious topics through humor. Is this a trend or is it something more personal?

This book is written about achieving spiritual optimism but I think it applies to all facets of life – relationships, careers, hobbies, everything.

As I contemplate what to say in this review, it occurs to me that perhaps there is nothing ‘new’ or ‘enlightening’ in the ideas conveyed in this book but Deepak Chopra has a new way of presenting the ideas that feels fresh. For example, rather then being stuck in a rut, he describes it as an addiction to the past. Same idea but by looking at it differently if feels different.

A little ‘new-agey’ but a quick read that will leave you feeling better then when you started.
  CarolO | Apr 24, 2009 |
I can always count on Deepak to have some good words and insights to help on my path. The title was weird and almost turned me off but I'm glad I read it. He gives a well-worded reason to meditate toward the end of the book. ( )
  hammockqueen | Oct 26, 2008 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,147,474 books! | Top bar: Always visible