Elantris by Brandon Sanderson

Elantris (original 2005; edition 2012)

by Brandon Sanderson (Author)

3,9631831,954 (4.01)4 / 428
"In 2005, Brandon Sanderson debuted with Elantris, an epic fantasy unlike any other then on the market. To celebrate its tenth anniversary, Tor is reissuing Elantris in a special edition, a fresh chance to introduce it to the myriad readers who have since become Sanderson fans. This new edition begins with a preface by author Dan Wells, the first person to read the completed novel, and a new afterword by Sanderson explaining how he came to write the book and its place in the Cosmere, the unified universe of all his Tor novels. Also included is the first book appearance of the short story "The Hope of Elantris," revealing interesting action referred to late in the novel, and an expanded version of the "Ars Arcanum" appendix, with more of the technical details of the book's magic that fans can never get enough of. Elantris was truly a milestone both for Sanderson and for the genre of epic fantasy. It deserves this special treatment, something Tor has done only once before, with Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game. Sanderson fans old and new will be excited to discover it"--… (more)
Member:DeboraNunes
Title:Elantris
Authors:Brandon Sanderson (Author)
Info:
Collections:Your library, Read, Read but unowned, BDI, 2015
Tags:fantasy, magic, curses, knights, Cosmere, royalty, politics

Elantris by Brandon Sanderson (2005)

Recently added byJeeps, Zandirak, Jacquipuff, Grayhexagon, SandraArdnas, MSaus, alekc, private library

English (172)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (3)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (182)
A fun read! ( )
  yonitdm | Sep 5, 2019 |
Great book. Loved it. Kept me up at night reading it. ( )
  aarondesk | Sep 1, 2019 |
(Thanks for eating my review, Goodreads.)

The gist, though, was that this was good, but not great. It shows all the elements that Sanderson grows into with more confidence - for instance, he really has a thing for the charismatic heroes that lift up people mired in despair - but it's just not quite delivered with the full confidence and skill of a practiced author. Interesting and fun, with a typically intricate and original magical system, but just a little too pat and straightforward to enmesh me, perhaps. ( )
  cupiscent | Aug 3, 2019 |
Elantris is a story about a land in turmoil. Once Elantrians were like gods in the country of Arelon. They had magic that allowed them to do miracles. No one was hungry, wounds could be healed with the wave of a hand, and the Elantrians literally glowed. One day the Elantrians gifts changed into a curse. Instead of magical godlike beings they became walking corpses that lived in perpetual pain. The political and religious structure of the country was destroyed. Ten years later, a king has become a tyrant and a foreign religious leader has decided the country must convert or be destroyed. The book is told from the point of view of three different characters: Raoden, prince of Arelon who woke up one day with the Elantrian curse; Hrathen, high priest of Fjordell who is given the task of converting Arelon, and Sarene, princess of neighboring Teod who comes to Arelon to marry Raoden but finds out she is a window instead of a bride. There is alot of political maneuvering in this book, which I really enjoyed. I also appreciated a fantasy novel with a strong female protagonist. The mystery of what happened to the Elantrian magic was interesting and different than what I have read in the past. I found myself cheering on the characters, even some of the "bad guys." I recommend this book to fans of fantasy, especially those that don't mind a lot of politics in their books. ( )
  Cora-R | Jul 31, 2019 |
  Cora-R | Jul 31, 2019 |
The author's skill at turning conventional fantasy on its head produces a tale filled with surprising twists and turns and a conclusion both satisfying and original.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Journal, Jackie Cassada (May 15, 2005)

A cut above the same-old, but hardly a classic.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus (May 1, 2005)

A surprisingly satisfying, single-volume epic fantasy that invokes a complex, vibrant world.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Regina Schroeder (May 1, 2005)

The intrigue and excitement grow steadily in this smoothly written, perfectly balanced narrative; by the end readers won't want to put it down.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Apr 8, 2005)

This a book that if you haven't read already, it should be high up on your list of books to read next. While the steep learning curve and the slow pacing can be a little frustrating at times, the compelling characters and the intriguing mysteries make it so hard to put this book down.

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Martiniere, StephanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to my mother,

Who wanted a doctor,

Ended up with a writer,

But loved him enough not to complain

(Very much).
Elantris was beautiful, once.

Elantris, fabled
city of old. Then: Sheod,
doom. Magic restores.
(passion4reading)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,170,968 books! | Top bar: Always visible