Icarus at the Edge of Time

by Brian Greene

A futuristic reimaging of the classic Greek myth, as a boy ventures through deep space and challenges the awesome power of black holes. The beauty of the book lies in the images, provided by NASA and the Hubble Space telescope, and printed on board rather than paper.

Not a good children's book ( what were they thinking ? ~ they weren't , other than get the name ' Brian Greene ' on the cover ) ( )
  Baku-X | Jan 10, 2017 |
Gorgeous photos. Story concept is engaging and shares good science (more at author's note). I found the language itself to be somehow awkward & flat. And I found the 'board' pages distracting. Nobody in my family can figure out why it isn't simply on good quality picture-book paper. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Can be read in almost no time at all. A creative and pleasing retelling with an educational component as well. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
  BakuDreamer | Sep 7, 2013 |
A board-book for all ages, Briane Greene's Icarus at the Edge of Time is a futuristic reinvention of the Greek myth of Icarus, the boy who disregarded his father's advice, and flew too near the sun. Like his ancient counterpart, our Icarus is the son of innovative men, who finds himself trapped in a prison of his father's making. In his case, that prison is the Proxima, a starship dispatched from Earth on a multi-generational voyage to contact another sentient species. A brilliant young man, Icarus resents the idea that he will live and die aboard the Proxima, and - in a rash act of defiance - decides to explore a passing black hole...

As someone with an abiding interest in mythology, and the ways in which it is continuously reinvented, as well as a great fondness for space-opera of the Star Trek variety, I was quite intrigued when a friend recommended this book to me. Gorgeously illustrated with photographs of various cosmic phenomena taken by the Hubble Space Telescope, this chunky picture-book explores Einstein's prediction that time will slow down as one approaches a black hole, while also offering a meditative picture of human impatience, and our impulse to explore. I was actually rather surprised to find myself so moved by Greene's narrative, and wish that I was acquainted with some young astronomer, to whom I could give this title. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jul 17, 2013 |
To my son, Alec, and the memory of my father, Alan, with a love that transcends all time.
As the starship Proxima hurtled through space, Icarus looked longingly at the distant stars.

(from the back of the book) Icarus at the Edge of Time is a futuristic reimagining of the classic Greek myth.  This time, rather than wax wings and a journey near the Sun, a boy ventures through deep space and challenges the awesome power of black holes.  The fable dramatizes the startling implications of what is perhaps Einstein's greatest insight - Brian Greene

GenreThing

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,266,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible