Happy Hour Is for Amateurs: Work Sucks. Life…

Happy Hour Is for Amateurs: Work Sucks. Life Doesn't Have To. (edition 2009)

by Philadelphia Lawyer

73None163,391 (3.29)25
Member:tconklin
Title:Happy Hour Is for Amateurs: Work Sucks. Life Doesn't Have To.
Authors:Philadelphia Lawyer
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2009), Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Have Read, To read

Damn, it Feels Good to Be a Banker: And Other Baller Things You Only Get to Say If You Work On Wall Street by Leveraged Sellout (AvengingAngels)
    AvengingAngels: Hilarious parodies of what people perceive to be glamorous jobs in a modern capitalist society.

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An easy read of debauchery and moral compromise in the legal world. While many of the anecdotes are interesting and funny, after reading several the novelty of these ribald tales diminishes, and the predictability of each increases.
  cao9415 | Jan 6, 2011 |
This book was just ok. It had some very funny parts, but dragged a lot. It seemed like a lot of the stuff was just thrown in, as if the author was flailing around for some filler material and figured he'd throw in another party to eat up another 5-10 pages. I enjoyed it, but can't see myself going back and re-reading it in the future. ( )
  knfmn | Sep 11, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
[This review also appears on FingerFlow.com, a site for review and discussion of creative works.]

While this book might arouse interest for the first few chapters, the entertainment value drops off quickly. How many times can the same tweaked story be retold? How many times can one guy relive the same premise with minor alterations in the details? Here's the gist of the book: the narrator gets drunk/high, gets into a situation, then gets out of said situation, sometimes with wit (but usually through dumb luck). Rinse, repeat. Also, throw in a few easy women, and one friend with an alcohol/rage/drug problem whose name keeps changing for some odd reason...

The Philadelphia Lawyer is the kind of guy that rubs me the wrong way. He's proud of getting through college drunk, squeaking through law school and getting high to escape the boredom of legal work. Boo hoo. And to top it off, he thinks he's better and smarter than nearly every person he meets!

However, this book is not without merit. It gives what appears to be an honest and intimate look into the legal profession. It's a corrupt system, like many other systems in our society, and I wouldn't be surprised if it scared off some law students.
  megacoupe | Mar 3, 2010 |
Why: An allegedly true story by a bitter, disillusioned lawyer. Since I am a bitter, disillusioned lawyer with allegedly true stories of my own, it seemed natural.
There are two things about this book. One: it's crude and somewhat debauched, but the debauchery seems like he's trying too hard. Perhaps it is there to demonstrate the lengths to which a miserable lawyer will go for escapism. I wasn't really impressed with this part, but Two: he tells the truth (I could recognize it) about practicing law in this country, and that's the real reason why he didn't sign his name to this book. You might think, What's the big deal, it's not like the legal profession is the Mafia. To which I would answer, hmmm.... I think, that in many (but not all) cases, to be successful in a law firm, you have bifurcate your personality, compromise your integrity, raise your BS tolerance to max level and learn to trust no one (not to mention get real comfortable with boredom), all of which are extremely painful. No one wants you to know this. That's where the value of this book lies. ( )
  citygirl | Feb 12, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It's important to note that "The Philadelphia Lawyer" thinks that middle-class consists of a $250k salary a year and regards women as sexual objects who he continually insults. If you can put up with that personality, you'll be able to make it through the book. As it was, I almost stopped after the second chapter, but decided to read on because the writing style is easy to read and I figured it important to "understand the enemy", someone who is completely self-absorbed, has no idea what "real work" is like, and whose world revolves around himself.

That being said, the rest of "Happy Hour Is For Amateurs" was, for the most part, interesting. The writing is good and entertaining. It was just hard to stomach the insulting personality writing the book. If he would get over his sexist views, he'd actually make for a good writer. The failure to get inside his other characters' heads and see other viewpoints leaves the book feeling incomplete, though, and hard to take seriously. It's hard to believe someone so incredibly superficial and sexist really feels like an outsider and a cog in the machine. ( )
  ironicqueery | Jul 30, 2009 |
"You threw it out?" I barked into the receiver.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Happy Hour Is for Amateurs: A Lost Decade in the World's Worst Profession by Philadelphia Lawyer was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,476,890 books! | Top bar: Always visible