Selected Short Stories of William Faulkner…

Selected Short Stories of William Faulkner (Modern Library) (original 1961; edition 1993)

by William Faulkner

Thirteen stories deal with small town southern life, love, betrayal, murder, and arson. Faulkner was a master of the short story. Most of the stories in this collection are drawn from the greatest period in his writing life, the fifteen or so years beginning in 1929, when he published the Sound and the Fury. They deal with many of the themes found in the novels and with the subjects and characters of small town Mississippi life that are uniquely Faulkner's. In a Rose for Emily, the first of his stories to appear in a national magazine, a straightforward, neighborly narrator relates a tale of love, betrayal, murder, and implied necrophilia. The vicious Snopes family of the Hamlet trilogy turns up in Barn Burning (1938), about a son's response to the activities of his arsonist father. Other inhabitants of Yoknapatawpha County appearing here include Jason and Caddy Compson, childish witnesses to the terror of the pregnant black laundress in That Evening Sun (1930), who fears that her lover will murder her.… (more)
Member:cwzimmer
Title:Selected Short Stories of William Faulkner (Modern Library)
Authors:William Faulkner
Info:Modern Library (1993), Hardcover, 336 pages

Work Information

Selected Short Stories of William Faulkner by William Faulkner (1961)

Despite my mixed feelings about Faulkner, I keep coming back to him. This collection of short stories is quite good; I would have to say better than his full legnth novels I have read. Chock full of Southern vernacular, love of land and home, crusty old men, the Confederacy, the smell of whiskey, jasmine, tobacco, and the stench of fear. I especially liked Dry Semptember; Turnabout; Race at Morning; and A Rose for Emily is probably the best short story I've ever read -- creepy.

As usual there were elements I loathed, and times I was thouroughly confused and frustruated, offended even. (Red Leaves; Lo!) But I am coming around to actually appreciate the well -- almost mystical quality of his writing. From the story Beyond -- "who is he who will affirm that there must be a web of flesh and bone to hold the shape of love?" ( )
3 vote jhowell | Dec 23, 2007 |
I think he is an excellent short story writer. ( )
  eslee | Mar 18, 2007 |

Belongs to Publisher Series

Legacy Library: William Faulkner

William Faulkner has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See William Faulkner's legacy profile.

See William Faulkner's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,286,664 books! | Top bar: Always visible