Johnny Cash: I See a Darkness

by Reinhard Kleist

20910131,136 (3.97)4
"...Vividly portrays the unpredictable life of a loner, patriot, outlaw, and music rebel, making this unique biography a compelling read for multiple generations of graphic novel and music fans."

Well, apparently I read this book 12 years ago but I don’t remember reading it! ( )
  LizzK | Dec 8, 2023 |
I See a Darkness is a fairly honest, but incomplete illustrated biography of Johnny Cash, where we see him not only in his most glorious days, but also in his most vulnerable ones. It's a work of myth-making and a memorial to an icon of country music. In many ways, it's similar to the film I Walk The Line.

The artwork in the book is phenomenal and perfectly portrays some of the most iconic moments of Cash's life. It's very expressionistic. I love that the story of Cash's life and career is illustrated with almost hallucinogenic like moments were the tales of his songs come to life and take over the narrative.

If you're a Cash fan you'll appreciate the artistry behind this graphic biography. ( )
  ryantlaferney87 | Dec 8, 2023 |
B&W throughout. Depicts Cash's experience at Folsom prison, and how he performed a song written by one of the inmates there. Also his record deals where he encountered Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis. And some of his time spent with Bob Dylan. Shows his struggles with drugs, his marriage, his daughter, his dead brother, his childhood working with his family in cotton fields, and June Carter. ( )
  AChild | Aug 28, 2023 |
Johnny Cash I See A Darkness is a Graphic Novel written and probably drawn by Reinhard Kleist. The book is really well done, spinning a tale from Cash’s life and songs. Sometimes it goes and covers his famous hits with a story or two from those, other times it goes and discusses actual events from Cash’s path to stardom and everything.

While I am a fan of Cash’s music, I don’t know everything about The Man In Black himself. So I am assuming that this was a really good adaptation and just leave it at that. I am not an expert on art styles or anything art-related for that matter, so I can’t really say anything about that besides the fact that the characters just look and feel right. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
A graphic novel about the life of Johnny Cash, the man in black. Features his life story from childhood to old age, intertwined with story-lines of some of his most famous songs. Special focus is given to his famous concert at the Folsom State Penitentiary, as parts of the story are given as a narrative from a convict waiting for Johnny's performance and hoping he would play his song. The drawings are beautifully detailed without appearing cluttered. Great graphic novel all-around. ( )
  matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |
Traduzir 70 anos de uma vida intensa em pouco mais de 200 páginas. Essa foi a missão de Reinhard Kleist na HQ Cash - I See A Darkness, que retrata a vida do cantor Johnny Cash (1932 - 2003). Três anos depois de ser lançada na Alemanha, a publicação ganhou versão em português nesta segunda, 19, pela editora gaúcha 8Inverso, sob o título Cash - Uma Biografia.

Cash - I See a Darkness saiu na Alemanha em 2006, ano em que entrou em cartaz nos cinemas de todo o mundo o filme Johnny & June - que tinha Joaquin Phoenix na pele e na voz do músico country. Desde então, o volume já foi premiado em feiras do livro na Alemanha e na França. Por aqui, a publicação foi batizada de Johnny Cash - Uma Biografia.

Inside the walls of prison my body may be,
but my Lord has set my soul free.

The first and only illustrated biography of "The Man in Black", Johnny Cash, the most famous country singer of all time

Cash was a 17-time Grammy winner who sold more than 90 million albums in his lifetime and became an icon of American music in the 20th century. Graphic novelist Reinhard Kleist depicts Johnny Cash’s eventful life from his early sessions with Elvis Presley (1956), through the concert in Folsom Prison (1968), his spectacular comeback in the 1990s, and the final years before his death on September 12, 2003.
Already a bestseller and award-winner in Europe, Johnny Cash: I See a Darkness vividly portrays the unpredictable life of a loner, patriot, outlaw, and music rebel, making this unique biography a compelling read for multiple generations of graphic novel and music fans.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,084,624 books! | Top bar: Always visible