Eat This Not That! for Kids!: Be the Leanest, Fittest Family on the Block!

by David Zinczenko

Series: Eat This Not That (2)

This must-have guide for concerned parents offers detailed analysis and nutritional tips on thousands of the most popular food choices for kids. Covering the best and worst options available at the most popular restaurants in the country as well as the healthiest--and most harmful--foods in the supermarket aisles, if kids are eating it, this book is probably analyzing it. Other features include: restaurant report cards on the best chain restaurants for your kids; drink this, not that! for kids; the 20 worst kids' meals in America; 10 "healthy" foods that aren't; and, the 8 foods you should feed your kid every day.… (more)

This book is okay for looking at for leisure, but for cold hard facts this may not be the best book. For example, Haagan Daaz Ice Cream is a "Not That" while Edy's/Dreyer's is a "Eat This". This is one of many times that the authors placed the healthier items on the "Not That" side and vice versa. When I got this book as a kid, it was surprising to see how much really was in my meals. Now, knowing about good quality brands, it makes me want to laugh and cringe at times. Honestly, this book is just for leisure, but not true nutrition. ( )
  TeeChoo | Jan 5, 2017 |
Eat This, Not That for Kids is just as good as the other two Eat This, Not That books (the original and the supermarket version), despite containing some of the same information (i.e. what to eat during certain holidays and what to buy at the grocery store). ( )
  06nwingert | Jun 4, 2009 |
My kids love these books (the kids' version and the adult one). I didn't even check them out for the kids, but they latched on to them, anyway. The format of both books is the similar. They start with a chapter on the basics of good nutrition. Each successive chapter tackles a different place where you get food like restaurants or school. They even tackle familiar Thanksgiving menu items.

Making the book heavy on full-color photos and naming names was a brilliant move. There is a section on decoding a generic restaurant menu, but the sections that picture specific brands are what sell the book. The kids could easily look up restaurants and brand-name items we have in our kitchen and see where they stand health-wise.

David Zinczenko's writing style is similar to what he uses in the magazine Men's Health. He sounds like the guy you play basketball with or sit next to at work. It's easier to listen to what he has to say because he isn't preaching to you. If you have kids ages 10 and up, don't lecture them about nutrition -- just sit this on the coffee table and let them figure it out. ( )
  daniinnc | Oct 26, 2008 |
Very similar to the original version of this book (in fact, I think a few sections are the same) but geared towards children's nutrition. Although the concept of the book is still kinda skewed for me (sorry, Spaghettios are not healthy), I appreciate that the focus of nutrition is not just on calories and fat, but also fiber, sugar, and sodium intakes. ( )
  DiscoDeb | Oct 14, 2008 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,213,768 books! | Top bar: Always visible