The Way of Shadows: The Night Angel Trilogy:…

The Way of Shadows: The Night Angel Trilogy: Book 1 (Night Angel, 1) (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Brent Weeks (Author)

4,1941252,177 (3.98)1 / 119
For Durzo Blint, assassination is an art-and he is the city's most accomplished artist, his talents required from alleyway to courtly boudoir.For Azoth, survival is precarious, something you never take for granted. As a guild rat, he's grown up in the slums and learned to judge people quickly-and to take risks. Risks like apprenticing himself to Durzo Blint.But to be accepted, Azoth must turn his back on his old life and embrace a new identity and name. As Kylar Stern, he must learn to navigate the assassins' world of dangerous politics and strange magics-and cultivate a flair for death.… (more)
Member:DoaneNerd
Title:The Way of Shadows: The Night Angel Trilogy: Book 1 (Night Angel, 1)
Authors:Brent Weeks (Author)
Info:Orbit (2008), Edition: 1st, 645 pages

Work Information

The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks (2008)

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Kassilem)
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (simon211175)
    The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie (ghilbrae)
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: A fantasy epic that while not dealing with magic still is reminiscent of the inner workings of a political structure.
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (Norwegianbear)
    Norwegianbear: if you are into "Assassin" fantasy stuff
    The Innocent Mage by Karen Miller (generalkala)
    Luck in the Shadows by Lynn Flewelling (Kaelkivial)
    Kaelkivial: Master apprentice relationship between assassins and saboteurs. Heavy political ramifications, intrigue and deception/disguises, magic is present but not all encompassing. Note: Way of Shadows much darker than Luck in the Shadows.

English (120)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Icelandic (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (125)
Brent Weeks's first book in the Night Angel series was a wonderfully engaging fantasy novel. He obviously comes from the George R. R. Martin school of writing and is thusly unafraid to maim or even kill his main characters. His characters are full and grow beautifully throughout the story, and more than one will surprise you. This is a great, quick read for someone looking for a good fantasy diversion.

Reread: This pass through the book left me with a few misgivings about character voice, some awkward relationship dialogue, and a rather convenient return of a villan that didn't really seem believable. Still, with all that, it's a good book. Read and enjoy. ( )
  jamestomasino | Sep 11, 2021 |
My first sample of Brent Weeks' work was his novella prequel from the Night Angel Trilogy. I enjoyed that read enough to go ahead and pick up the entire trilogy. I just recently finished the first installment The Way of Shadows. I was intrigued from the novella's story and hooked right from the beginning of this one. I still find myself struggling with the beginning of so many stories and series because they begin with child POV's. I understand this is part of establishing the characters background, I just feel more of a disconnect with these times the older I get myself. Regardless the adventure and intrigue kicks off right away. I enjoyed the twists and turns of this one from the beginning to the end. I will say there are many dark parts of this book but the second half gets extremely brutal. So if that isn't your cup of tea, you might want to prepare yourself or look for adventure between pages elsewhere.

For myself I enjoyed this story enough that I dove right into book 2 Shadow's Edge the same day of finishing The Way of Shadows. I don't do this often so that should tell you something. ( )
  Chad.M.Barnard | Jul 25, 2021 |
Well. That was a book.

On one hand, you're sort of tossed into the world and it takes rather a while to really figure out what was going on. For that matter, I still have a handful of questions on exactly how this world works, although I guess that's what sequels are for.

On the other hand, it's a fascinating world and story, dark and gritty from the get go that never really lets you go.

On the positives, the world building has what feels the right mix of interesting and mysterious to keep me interested. I want to know more about how the magic system works. I want to know what the ka'kari are.

On top of that, I actually liked most of the main characters. Durzo is dark and complicated and makes an interesting version of the typical mentor figure. Azoth, as protagonist, isn't hugely unique but I also didn't hate him, which given some of the choices he makes through the books could have gone far worse.

On the negatives, the word choice seems odd at a few times in the book. Azoth is training to be a wetboy, which is basically just a weird word for a magical assassin. On top of that, characters will sometimes swear in a 'modern' manner, which feels strange/anachronistic in the setting. It took me out of the book a few times, but it's still skip-past-able.

It's definitely a dark and depressing book, so if that's not what you're looking for, avoid this. If that's something that doesn't both you though, you could do far worse than giving this book a try.

Quote of the book (spoiler'ed because NSFWish):

“I spoke with the count this morn—” Logan said when he was suddenly silenced as breasts went past. No, not just breasts. The breasts. They were perfect. Not precipitously exposed, but perfectly shaped, these floated past him, held in a gossamer embrace of fabric rejoicing to cling to such nubile curves. Logan didn’t even see the woman’s face. Then, as she walked past, the sweet curves of swaying hips and a flash of lean, muscular calves.

Let no one say that Weeks doesn't have a way with words. ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
Very good book about a street rat, who rises above his station in life by minding his moral compass. Azoth/Kylar Stern stays devoted to his friends, while becoming a wetboy (assassin), but has to make impossible choices along the way. Definitely recommended for adult fantasy readers. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
The Way of Shadows (The Night Angel Trilogy) On hindsight I should have read The Way of Shadows more carefully because I'm really not sure how I feel about it. Although I wasn't expecting Lightbringer standards, I didn't think I'd find the storyline unclear or that I'd be confused. And I don't know if my confusion was from laziness due to my part or if some of the plot was…confusing. My confusion lies with the sudden (and, to me, jarring) introduction of the kakari. Although it gave the characters purpose, it just seemed a little out of the blue. I think a second read will clarify the role of the kakari within the story (I hope). A lot of fans seem to hero worship the two main characters, Durzo and Kyler. This is what I feel about them: meh. They were interesting enough, but not so much that I'd tattoo their names across my face {for the record I don't think anyone has done that}. I wish some of the non-main characters had more page time though. Dorian the cheeky oracle {now his name I would tattoo across my face}, Niner the creative curser {"You shitting… shitting... shit!" - best line in the book} and Logan the oblivious hormonal teenager. Still, the main annoyance of this book was only a minor one and it was one regarding romance. Kyler and Elene's romantic interactions were soppy; some of the dialogue was pretty cheesy too. On the other hand, Durzo's romantic escapades were far more to my taste. Maybe it's cos I'm an evil heartless b*tch, but I loved the Momma K twist at the end .I'm not really mad about this book - it hasn't made me go "OMG when the hell does the next one come out???" like I did for The Black Prism. ( )
  meerapatel | Dec 29, 2020 |

Brent Weeksprimary authorall editionscalculated
Boehmer, PaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kristi, Confidante, companion, best friend, bride. They're all for you.
Azoth squatted in the ally, cold mud squishing through his bare toes.

Hachette Book Group

An edition of this book was published by Hachette Book Group.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,512,309 books! | Top bar: Always visible