Tales From Outer Suburbia by Shaun Tan

Tales From Outer Suburbia (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Shaun Tan

Member:ohioyalibrarian
Title:Tales From Outer Suburbia
Authors:Shaun Tan
Info:Arthur A. Levine Books (2009), Hardcover, 96 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:ya, new, currently cool, illustrated stories, short stories

Tales from Outer Suburbia by Shaun Tan (2008)

English (92)  German (3)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (98)
This is an interesting collection of fantasy stories. There are several mini-stories in this book that appear to be largely unrelated to each other, so it's more a vignette style than a chapter book. The stories are listed in the table of contents as a collection of stamps on a mailing envelope. The stories and illustrations are very clever; the author has quite the imagination! In addition to stories, there is a poem that is made to look like it was created from scraps of paper. At first glance, it looked like it would be a little overwhelming to read, but it ended up being one of my favorite parts of the book!
  BTPiglet | Jul 17, 2018 |
The stories are as good as the illustrations.

The illustrations are as good as the stories. ( )
  RashikNahiyen | Apr 16, 2018 |
This never quite captivated me. The tone is a bit bitter at times, the storylines repetitive, and the metaphors hammy. Gorgeous art though. ( )
  mrgan | Oct 30, 2017 |
Awesome illustrated shorts full of whimsy, mystery, and great good humor. I am especially fond of “The Water Buffalo.” ( )
  Mrs_McGreevy | Nov 17, 2016 |
Thanks to Jen Campbell over on BookTube I was turned onto the magic that is Shaun Tan. Thus far, I've only read one of his books but I already know I'm going to have to READ ALL THE THINGS. (Note: I've just picked up two more and put another one on hold.) Until that day, however, here's a review of Tales from Outer Suburbia. :-)

You guys know how much I love all things creepy and dark. You also know that 2016 has turned out to be the year of the graphic novel for me. So it's no wonder that Shaun Tan is right up my alley. Tales from Outer Suburbia is a collection of short stories and illustrations of a typical suburban neighborhood turned on its head. Think The Burbs meets Home and you're in the right neighborhood. (Didn't even plan that little pun out. You're welcome.) It was his art style that caught my attention but his writing is really haunting and beautiful. It's also super snarky with political undertones. His "style" is a mixture of fine line drawing in pencil, bold paints, watercolor, and just plain unique which is why I feel like he can't really be pigeonholed into one genre. From the inside cover to the very last page this book is full to bursting with creepy, weird, and beautiful art with short stories to match. Some of the pages have no words at all which I've learned is one of his fortes so get excited for that in the near future. XD If you're a fan of Grimm's Fairy Tales or Neil Gaiman then this would very likely appeal to you. This was a definite 10/10 for me. ( )
  AliceaP | Sep 23, 2016 |
Jurybegründung
"...Mit Geschichten aus der Vorstadt des Universums lädt Shaun Tan die Leser ein zur Begegnung mit dem Alltäglichem und mit dem Phantastischem in einer ganz eigenen fiktionalen Welt und zeigt ihnen, wie Literatur „funktioniert“. Eike Schönfeldt hat die poetische Kraft und den freundlich-optimistischen Ton von Tans Texten überzeugend ins Deutsche übertragen und uns die Erzählungen in ihrer ganzen Schönheit zugänglich gemacht."

Contains

To Paul, (who always enjoys a good expedition) Perth, W.A.
When I was a kid, there was a big water buffalo living in the vacant lot at the end of our street, the one with the grass no one ever mowed.

Shaun Tan follows THE ARRIVAL with a collection of off-the-wall tales combined with his genius illustrations in a unique hybrid format that will build on our current success.

An exchange student who's really an alien, a secret room that becomes the perfect place for a quick escape, a typical tale of grandfatherly exaggeration that is actually even more bizarre than he says... These are the odd details of everyday life that grow and take on an incredible life of their own in tales and illustrations that Shaun Tan's many fans will love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:15 -0400)

Fifteen illustrated short stories, some humorous and some haunting, set in the Australian suburbs.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Shaun Tan's book Tales From Outer Suburbia was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,175,515 books! | Top bar: Always visible