The Father Christmas Letters by J. R. R.…

The Father Christmas Letters (original 1976; edition 1991)

by J. R. R. Tolkien (Editor)

Member:SharS
Title:The Father Christmas Letters
Authors:J. R. R. Tolkien (Editor)
Info:Houghton Mifflin (1991), Edition: Second Printing

Letters From Father Christmas by J. R. R. Tolkien (1976)

Recently added byprivate library, Tanya-D, dyziunia, vandaaway, EmilyMorland, PyroStick, BrettF, EmmaKG, firstpresge, mrkinch

English (31)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (33)
I can't wait to read this to my granddaughters! Very cute! ( )
  ssimon2000 | May 7, 2018 |
I didn't love this. The overall story was too inconsistent for me, though it was a completely adorable concept and must have been treasured by his children and family. ( )
  BoundTogetherForGood | Feb 1, 2018 |
Charming book of letters written from Father Christmas to Tolkien's four children. Delighted to find that the kindle edition contains all the facsimiles of the letters and drawings, not just the transcribed text. Recommended as a Christmas treat by LizW and I thoroughly appreciated it (even if it took me a while to finish). ( )
  lnr_blair | Jan 15, 2018 |
Letters From Father Christmas - Tolkien
Audio performance by Derek Jacobi, John Moffatt, Christian Rodska
4.5 stars

I found this picture book at a used bookstore years ago. It is a collection of ‘letters’ from Father Christmas, created by Tolkien for his own children. The letters give a chatty picture of a north pole very different from the stereotypical American Santa Claus. While my own children never took to this version of the jolly old elf, it did inspire my husband to write some similarly detailed letters from Santa to our daughter when she was young.

In my opinion, Tolkien’s own detailed watercolor illustrations are, the best part of the collection. I enjoyed this audio production with the very famous voices, but it inspired me to take the book off the shelf to enjoy the pictures one more time. ( )
  msjudy | Dec 31, 2017 |
Stunning, leaves a warm festive feeling inside - I hope to always love Christmas and make it as exciting as Tolkien did for my own children 🎄 ( )
  Charlotte1162 | Nov 29, 2017 |

Tolkien, J. R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tolkien, BaillieEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Can you imagine writing to Father Christmas and actually getting a reply?
Various editions of this book, some titled "Letters from Father Christmas" and some "The Father Christmas Letters",
offer significantly different selections from the letters and from Tolkien's illustrations. Most of these differences are explained here: https://wayneandchristina.wordpress.co...

Charming letters and illustrations done by Tolkien to his children over a period of about 20 yrs.

Every December an envelope bearing a stamp from the North Pole would arrive for J.R.R. Tolkien’s children. Inside would be a letter in a strange, spidery handwriting and a beautiful colored drawing or painting. The letters were from Father Christmas.
They told wonderful tales of life at the North Pole: how the reindeer got loose and scattered presents all over the place; how the accident-prone North Polar Bear climbed the North Pole and fell through the roof of Father Christmas’s house into the dining room; how he broke the Moon into four pieces and made the Man in it fall into the back garden; how there were wars with the troublesome horde of goblins who lived in the caves beneath the house, and many more.
No reader, young or old, can fail to be charmed by Tolkien’s inventiveness in this classic holiday treat.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:00 -0400)

A collection of illustrated letters from Father Christmas recapping the activities of the preceding year at the North Pole. The letters were written by the author to his children.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,559,306 books! | Top bar: Always visible