Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm…

Outliers: The Story of Success (edition 2011)

by Malcolm Gladwell (Author)

13,642382327 (3.96)1 / 258
The best-selling author of Blink identifies the qualities of successful people, posing theories about the cultural, family, and idiosyncratic factors that shape high achievers, in a resource that covers such topics as the secrets of software billionaires, why certain cultures are associated with better academic performance, and why the Beatles earned their fame.… (more)
Member:Bridouble6
Title:Outliers: The Story of Success
Authors:Malcolm Gladwell (Author)
Info:Back Bay Books (2011), Edition: 1, 336 pages

Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell (Author)

Recently added bycasablanca58, private library, Jnnfr1450, Jack_Fabulous, jdtschiggfrie, patrikrazem, srlib12, IngNorris, IreneLM
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven D. Levitt (dste)
    dste: Another interesting book that looks at some ideas we think are right and turns them upside down.
    The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable by Nassim Nicholas Taleb (Anonymous user)
    The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives by Leonard Mlodinow (infiniteletters)
    The Medici Effect: What Elephants and Epidemics Can Teach Us About Innovation by Frans Johansson (edwinbcn)
    Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol S. Dweck (peter_vandenbrande)
    peter_vandenbrande: Beide auteurs benadrukken dat je talent moet ontwikkelen om succesvol te worden. Ze ondergraven allebei de mythe dat alleen geniale mensen de top kunnen bereiken. Carol Dweck werkt het hoe en waarom van deze "growth mindset" uit, Malcolm Gladwell nuanceert tegelijk de invloed van deze individuele inspanningen door "toeval" in het verhaal te brengen: hoe omstandigheden en toevallige kansen van invloed zijn op uiteindelijk succes.… (more)
    Status Anxiety by Alain de Botton (peter_vandenbrande)
    The Talent Code: Greatness Isn't Born. It's Grown. Here's How. by Daniel Coyle (infiniteletters)
    Talent Is Overrated: What Really Separates World-Class Performers from Everybody Else by Geoff Colvin (infiniteletters)
    Bounce: Mozart, Federer, Picasso, Beckham, and the Science of Success by Matthew Syed (ANeumann)
    Young Nietzsche by Carl Pletsch (galacticus)
    galacticus: Both books deal with genius. Gladwell touches on genius as a study in success, what it takes generally; Pletsch as a study of one mans desire to be a genius.
    De HR-ballon tien populaire praktijken doorprikt by Patrick Vermeren (peter_vandenbrande)

English (373)  Dutch (3)  French (2)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (381)
3.5. Fascinating study but I liked David and Goliath better. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
I like the central messages of the book, that you don't get anywhere by yourself, that genius is a myth, that we all need luck.

I hope no one takes this to mean that the only way you can be successful is by being born in the right year to the right family in the right place with the right culture. He was talking about people who were off the charts. You don't need the full 10,000 hours to be amazingly good at something. You don't need to be one of the top 100 in your field to have a successful life, you don't need all the stars and constellations to be aligned perfectly on your birthday. That's just how certain legends are made.

Well he obviously cherry picks examples. That doesn't take from it.
Another thing was it kind of reminded me of a few essays I wrote in college: at the beginning I had no idea what the essay was going to be about, but I started writing some really interesting things I'd found. Then as I went to long I realized there was some kind of connection between them and I went back and put in a few lines to bring it all together.
It kind of feels like he had some leftover notes from Tipping Point and he just found an angle from which to present them. ( )
  RebeccaBooks | Sep 16, 2021 |
Fascinating. Would recommend, especially to those with a mind tuned for scientific inquiry. ( )
  KittyCatrinCat | Aug 29, 2021 |
how luck and culture influence success in sports, business, and life
  ritaer | Jul 26, 2021 |
Thought provoking in many ways. Looks at things in new ways, with attempt to explain certain trends, stereotypes, and differences. Among the examples are how national culture impacts airline pilot interaction, math scores of students, etc. ( )
  rsutto22 | Jul 15, 2021 |
“Outliers” has much in common with Gladwell’s earlier work. It is a pleasure to read and leaves you mulling over its inventive theories for days afterward. It also, unfortunately, avoids grappling in a few instances with research that casts doubt on those theories. This is a particular shame, because it would be a delight to watch someone of his intellect and clarity make sense of seemingly conflicting claims.

The world for Gladwell is a text that he reads as closely as he can in seeking to decode and interpret it. He is adept at identifying underlying trends from which he extrapolates to form hypotheses, presenting them as if they were general laws of social behaviour. But his work has little philosophical rigour. He's not an epistemologist; his interest is in what we think, rather than in the how and why of knowledge itself.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Guardian, Jason Cowley (Nov 23, 2008)

The book, which purports to explain the real reason some people — like Bill Gates and the Beatles — are successful, is peppy, brightly written and provocative in a buzzy sort of way. It is also glib, poorly reasoned and thoroughly unconvincing.

Gladwell, MalcolmAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gladwell, MalcolmNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Daisy
Roseto Valfortore lies one hundred miles southeast of Rome in the Apennine foothills of the Italian province of Foggia.
out•li•er\-,lī(-ə)r\ noun
1: something that is situated away from or classed differently from a main or related body.
2: a statistical observation that is marked different in value from the others of the sample.

Pretty good book to discuss some interesting phenomena in real life, and tries to find a reasonable explanation for them. It is good to read a book life this to discuss the success, by uncovering not so well-known facts like for Bill Gates, and some other people in computer science, which I have been learning by self-study for a long time.

Hachette Book Group

4 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0316017922, 031602497X, 1600243916, 0316017930

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,217,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible