Desert Places (Andrew Z. Thomas/Luther Kite…

Desert Places (Andrew Z. Thomas/Luther Kite Series Book 1) (edition 2010)

by Blake Crouch (Author), Jack Kilborn (Foreword)

Member:XanderS
Title:Desert Places (Andrew Z. Thomas/Luther Kite Series Book 1)
Authors:Blake Crouch (Author)
Other authors:Jack Kilborn (Foreword)
Info:(2010), 272 pages
Collections:Your library, Kindle, Read, Read in 2019
Tags:Fiction, Suspense, Thriller, Mystery, Science Fiction, Andrew Z Thomas, Luther Kite, Crouch, Black Crouch, Kindle, E-Books, Read, Read in 2019

Desert Places by Blake Crouch

Desert Places by Blake Crouch – In 2002 Blake Crouch published his first novel entitled Desert Places and it was a very thrilling and entertaining beginning for him. In that first book, Andrew Z. Thomas (a successful horror novelist) receives a letter informing him that a dead girl has been buried on his property, soaked in his (Andrew’s) blood. The letter demands that he must travel to a specified isolated place in the desert or the police would be informed of the location of the body. After some thought he naively decides to make the trip to attempt to convince the blackmailer to possibly drop his demands. However, Andrew’s nemesis gains complete control of him, and he is horrified when he is forced to participate in other murders. This is a compelling book that is filled with savage violence and desperation as Andrew struggles to possibly extricate himself from the control of his enemy. It’s a very engrossing first novel and it foretells the excellence and popularity of Crouch’s later novels. ( )
  clark.hallman | Jun 30, 2016 |
3.5 stars ( )
  Pet12 | Aug 4, 2015 |
A moderately sick and twisted book. Full of twists and turns of the knife. Most of it was decent serial killer horror. It kept me guessing until the end. Never knew who was going to get tortured and killed next.

That being said, the main character, Andrew, who narrates the book, is the most boring cunt there is. Throughout the entire book, I was rooting for someone to fucking stab him in his stupid goddamn cunt. Somebody please shut this guy's whore mouth.

Seriously. Andrew is a stuck-up little girly boy who deserves all the pain and anguish that he gets. Actually more. They should have tortured him more.

But no. He always gets away. Goddamnit to hell. I mean how hard is it to kill one guy? He's a writer, not a fucking super hero. And the bad guys in this book are just total monsters. They kill people for no fucking reason. All the time.

So why's it so hard to kill Andrew? Sure, he's the brother to one of the bad guys. And the bad brother wants to mentally torment poor Andrew. But really, where's the fun in that? Just shoot him in the fucking face.

So fuck Andrew in his stuck-up, tight butthole. Because he's boring. In fiction, that's the worst sin of all. ( )
1 vote gecizzle | Mar 5, 2015 |
Blake Crouch could extract flop sweat from a cold stone. He delves into some of the darkest playgrounds imaginable, the type most readers peruse and find themselves questioning the author's morals. I took my sweet-ass time getting through the first 25% of this book, not because the writing or story were bad, but because I read before I go to bed. What I'm getting at is, I read to relax, but a racing pulse does not a sound sleeper make. Once I hit the end of the first section of this book, I couldn't stop. Lost sleep over it, dissected it, wondered how Blake managed some of the descriptions in the book, and cussed his talent like a dog.

Andrew Z. Thomas is a protagonist I can get behind. He's troubled, mostly because of the events of Desert Places, and you feel his descent into darkness is real. The guy can't catch a break, and that alone makes you root for him.

Orson, on the other hand, is f***ing crazy. I loved the villain of Desert Places just as much as I did Andrew Z. Thomas. When the plot thickens and the tables are turned, then rotated over once more, I found myself pulling for the continuation of Orson's story as well as Andrew's. I don't know if that means I'm a screwed up individual, but I will say this, I love a well-written bad guy.

Desert Places is not for people with weak stomachs or those readers that enjoy having a full set of long, perfectly maintained fingernails. Blake Crouch turns on the tension full blast in this book and rarely lets up. He tugs at the heart strings, all the while playing with your mind.

I will be reading the sequel to Desert Places, Locked Doors, in the near future. But first, I must find a cache of cute kitty pics.

E. ( )
  Edward.Lorn | Feb 13, 2015 |

Debut novelist Crouch puts a nasty spin on the serial killer thriller in this gruesome tale that, alas, folds under the weight of its ambitions. The story starts at full throttle: narrator Andrew Thomas, a successful horror writer, finds a letter outside his secluded North Carolina home that begins, "Greetings. There is a body buried on your property, covered in your blood."

Indeed there is, and further missives direct Andrew to a motel outside Denver, where he is drugged, kidnapped and brought to a house surrounded by desert; there he meets his captor - his long-lost twin brother, Orson. Orson, who walked out of Andrew's life years ago, has, it turns out, been quite busy in the interim as a serial killer. Hoping that Andrew will share his passion, Orson forces his brother to participate in mutilating and killing three victims; he then lets Andrew go. Back home, Andrew joins forces with his best friend to track Orson down, locating him at a New England college. However, their plan to kill Orson ends with the friend dead and Orson locked in the trunk of Andrew's car as Andrew drives cross-country to the desert house, where matters reach a grisly denouement.

"Andrew Z. Thomas is a successful writer of suspense thrillers, living the dream at his lake house in the piedmont of North Carolina. One afternoon in late spring, he receives a bizarre letter that eventually threatens his career, his sanity, and the lives of everyone he loves. A murderer is designing his future, and for the life of him, Andrew can't get away."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,328,933 books! | Top bar: Always visible