Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry…

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) (original 1997; edition 2003)

by J.K. Rowling

Series: Harry Potter (1)

118,68919311 (4.29)7 / 1832
Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School for Wizards and Witches.
Member:dresdon
Title:Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
Authors:J.K. Rowling
Info:Scholastic Inc, Hardcover, 309 pages

Work Information

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (1997)

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (Patangel)
    The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (alexiscartwheel, krizia_lazaro)
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (FFortuna, Morteana)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (xicanti, Unionhawk)
    xicanti: Another take on the whole boy wizard idea, albeit a decidedly darker one.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (wosret, quigui)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Patangel, Leishai)
    The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (psybre)
    The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (_Zoe_)
    The Chronicles of Chrestomanci: Charmed Life / The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (amyblue)
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (guurtjesboekenkast)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Unionhawk)
    Unionhawk: Both good fantasy series. Lord of the Rings is a slightly more difficult read though...
    The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J. K. Rowling (norabelle414)
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (tortoise, persky, suzanney, FFortuna, nfeldbaum)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret, darzzled)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: White's tale of glory and sorcery.
    Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones (kerravonsen)
    kerravonsen: Children's fantasy, check. Protagonist who doesn't know he's a magician/wizard, check. Schooling in magic, check.
    Magyk by Angie Sage (Bitter_Grace, LadyBlakeny)
    The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy (cransell, Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    cransell: The first in an enjoyable series of stories about a young witch at boarding school.
    The Books of Magic by Neil Gaiman (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: You want an explanation? Read The Books of Magic; if you loved Sorcerer's Stone, which is about an ordinary boy discovering a whole new world where he finds a future larger than he had ever imagined, you will love Neil Gaiman's The Books of Magic. If you ever find yourself thinking that after an awful lot of sequels and years of a multi-billion dollar franchise being squeezed for every Knut, that the world of Harry Potter has lost its magic, I urge you to rediscover it again in The Books of Magic. There is nothing else to say; there is only awe and wonders.… (more)
    Fablehaven by Brandon Mull (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This is a great fantasy series about a brother and sister who are sent to live with their grandparents for the summer. When they arrive they are amazed at how much land their grandparents own-a vast forest, expansive grounds, and a beautiful garden. When Seth goes to explore the forest (although his Grandfather has clearly forbidden it), he meets Muriel, a cunning witch who tries to capture him. This meeting soon unlocks a great secret that their grandparents have been guarding for many years. This is an exciting, funny, and mysterious fantasy that I highly recommend reading!… (more)

1990s (12)
Ghosts (265)

English (1,826)  Spanish (19)  German (14)  Dutch (14)  Italian (11)  French (8)  Catalan (3)  Danish (3)  Finnish (3)  Swedish (3)  Hungarian (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Portuguese (1)  Russian (1)  Greek (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (1,914)
A re read

Been planning to read this after a long time . Quite an interesting feeling second time over . I am planning to read more every once I get time . ( )
  rayravi | Aug 13, 2022 |
Obviously a childrens book.
  kazzer2u | Aug 11, 2022 |
Wow! This book was awesome and excellent all wrapped up together in a bow!

It has taken me a long time to step into this world as far as the books go, but I have already been in this world with the movies as I own the complete dvd set. I just hadn't stepped into the book world part...until now.

I am not going to do a backstory like I normally do with my reviews as everyone worldwide knows the story of Harry Potter as this book is now considered a classic, but I will give my thoughts on how the book made me feel.

I loved all the characters even Malfoy as he just gets under my skin, but nothing gets under my skin worse than the Dursleys. They are the worst excuse for an Uncle and Aunt treating Harry the way they did. Dudley of course is a spoiled brat, but thankfully Harry is able to at least get some peace away from all of them when he goes to Hogwarts.

I thought that the book was more detailed than the movie as I could see some different variations throughout the book, but the movie didn't step too far away from the actual happenings that are in the book. I thought that Snape seemed more "mean and hateful" in the book compared to the movie. In the movie, he is more tolerable but in the book he just has a mean streak in him that runs a little rampant.

The friendship of Harry, Hermione, and Ron just meshes together so well in the book that it almost makes them seem like the three musketeers - always together and always in some kind of trouble. There is quite a bit of that "one for all and all for one" going on with them in the story as they would rather stick together then go it alone when it comes to going on their adventure capers around the school.

It is kind of funny but after seeing all the movies and now reading the book, I could actually see stuff played out from the movie instead of my imagination. Normally when reading books your imagination makes things up as you read the books of how the world looks, but when reading books that have been converted to movies there is no imagination left as the only thing you see is what you have already seen a hundred times on the movie screen! The book was still enjoyable, fun, and very entertaining. Giving this one five Magical stars!

For more images and thoughts, please see my blog:
https://booknookretreat.blogspot.com/2021/12/harry-potter-and-sorcerers-stone-by... ( )
  BookNookRetreat7 | Jul 25, 2022 |
I must be one of the few people who has never until now read a Harry Potter book, but I have now done so after seeing the excellent if rather long stage play Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. It is good fun and has a natural heart-warming old fashioned feel about it that I think is the key to why it appeals to readers of all generations. I thought the ending was a little rushed. ( )
  john257hopper | Jul 22, 2022 |
J.K. Rowling does a wonderful job introducing the reader to the magical world of Harry Potter. The creative elements of the story are unique and engaging.
  Maighain | Jul 19, 2022 |
One can reasonably doubt that "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" is going to prove a classic of children's literature, but Rowling, whatever the aesthetic weaknesses of her work, is at least a millennial index to our popular culture. So huge an audience gives her importance akin to rock stars, movie idols, TV anchors, and successful politicians. Her prose style, heavy on cliche, makes no demands upon her readers. In an arbitrarily chosen single page--page 4--of the first Harry Potter book, I count seven cliches, all of the "stretch his legs" variety.

How to read"Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"? Why, very quickly, to begin with, perhaps also to make an end. Why read it? Presumably, if you cannot be persuaded to read anything better, Rowling will have to do. is there any redeeming education use to Rowling? Is there any to Stephen King? Why read, if what you read will not enrich mind or spirit or personality? For all I know, the actual wizards and witches of Britain, or America, may provide an alternative culture for more people than is commonly realized.

Rowling, J. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

for Jessica, who loves stories,
for Anne, who loved them too,
and for Di, who heard this one first.
The wand chooses the wizard, remember…I think we must expect great things from you, Mr. Potter…After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things - terrible, yes, but great.
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone is the original title in the UK.

The change to 'Sorcerer' is in the US title.

Please do not use the canonical title field to force one title over the other.
Please do not use CK to engage in edit wars. Please visit the Common Knowledge, WikiThing, HelpThing
group for discussions.

Harry's a wizard
studies magic at Hogwarts
fights possessed teacher
(asbunny)
A wizard child
saves his school from a Dark Lord
and makes some new friends.
(marcusbrutus)
Orphaned a baby
but growing up unknowing
he is a wizard
(Firefox-Flame_dancer)
Went with a strange man

because he gave me chocolate.

Almost got murdered.

(CathWhitney)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,105,340 books! | Top bar: Always visible