Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (1) by…

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (1) (original 1997; edition 1998)

by J. K. Rowling (Author)

Series: Harry Potter (1)

120,88219591 (4.29)7 / 1843
Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School for Wizards and Witches.
Member:samaloney
Title:Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (1)
Authors:J. K. Rowling (Author)
Info:Scholastic Press (1998), 309 pages

Work Information

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (1997)

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (Patangel)
    The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (alexiscartwheel, krizia_lazaro)
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (FFortuna, Morteana)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (xicanti, Unionhawk)
    xicanti: Another take on the whole boy wizard idea, albeit a decidedly darker one.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (wosret, quigui)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Patangel, Leishai)
    The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (psybre)
    The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (_Zoe_)
    The Chronicles of Chrestomanci: Charmed Life / The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (amyblue)
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (guurtjesboekenkast)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Unionhawk)
    Unionhawk: Both good fantasy series. Lord of the Rings is a slightly more difficult read though...
    The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J. K. Rowling (norabelle414)
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (tortoise, persky, suzanney, FFortuna, nfeldbaum)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret, darzzled)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: White's tale of glory and sorcery.
    Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones (kerravonsen)
    kerravonsen: Children's fantasy, check. Protagonist who doesn't know he's a magician/wizard, check. Schooling in magic, check.
    Magyk by Angie Sage (Bitter_Grace, LadyBlakeny)
    The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy (cransell, Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    cransell: The first in an enjoyable series of stories about a young witch at boarding school.
    The Books of Magic by Neil Gaiman (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: You want an explanation? Read The Books of Magic; if you loved Sorcerer's Stone, which is about an ordinary boy discovering a whole new world where he finds a future larger than he had ever imagined, you will love Neil Gaiman's The Books of Magic. If you ever find yourself thinking that after an awful lot of sequels and years of a multi-billion dollar franchise being squeezed for every Knut, that the world of Harry Potter has lost its magic, I urge you to rediscover it again in The Books of Magic. There is nothing else to say; there is only awe and wonders.… (more)
    Fablehaven by Brandon Mull (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This is a great fantasy series about a brother and sister who are sent to live with their grandparents for the summer. When they arrive they are amazed at how much land their grandparents own-a vast forest, expansive grounds, and a beautiful garden. When Seth goes to explore the forest (although his Grandfather has clearly forbidden it), he meets Muriel, a cunning witch who tries to capture him. This meeting soon unlocks a great secret that their grandparents have been guarding for many years. This is an exciting, funny, and mysterious fantasy that I highly recommend reading!… (more)

1990s (12)
Ghosts (265)

English (1,850)  Spanish (19)  Dutch (14)  German (14)  Italian (11)  French (7)  Danish (3)  Finnish (3)  Swedish (3)  Catalan (3)  Hungarian (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Portuguese (1)  Russian (1)  Greek (1)  Piratical (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (1,937)
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone is the first in a 7-book children's/young adult series about a boy who discovers he is a wizard and attends a boarding school. It has the tough job of hooking in the reader to take a chance on a large book series, but it does the job well. The story is quite simplistic, and rather short with few details of world-building in the first book, but it is through the eyes of an 11-year of child, and the reader is meant to grow with the protagonist. If you are an adult re-reading the series, you will still be charmed by nostalgia. This is definitely a good book for a child/young adult, and can encourage them to read more and more fiction. ( )
  WaldensLibrary | Nov 28, 2022 |
Cute, charming little book for children before things start to turn dark. ( )
  Anniik | Nov 26, 2022 |
Ok so I've avoided this book for 18 years. I'm not a fan. Didn't care for the movies. But as part of a local reading group challenge I read it.
And I liked it. I actually enjoyed it. Teach me to make assumptions! I should truly know better than to make a judgement before actually reading.
I'm still not certain if I will continue the series, but I loved this one. ( )
  reneeg | Nov 25, 2022 |
This is more of a 3.5 stars book, but overall I very much enjoyed the re-read of this book.i find that when you read a book series a second time, you pick up on things you never really noticed before. Anyway, Harry Potter is just one of those series that is just brilliantly wonderful and holds a lot of nostalgia for me and my family. The last time I read this I was maybe 7 or 8, so reading it over has given me a new perspective on the story. Anyway, this is just such an amazing series that everyone should read at least once! ( )
  EvelynNygren | Nov 17, 2022 |
Of course this book is 5/5 stars for me, and honestly although the illustrated edition didn't NEED to exist, I'm so glad that it does. It made the story even more beautiful. Seeing Jim Kay's incredible art portraying the universe made this book 10x better than it was. I truly think the art is exquisite, and that the novel feels incredible with the illustrations. it just adds so much to the story. If I could rate this edition 8/5 stars I would, that's how much I enjoyed this.

It felt so nostalgic to read because well it's Harry Potter, but with the illustrations it was an entirely new experience. I really enjoyed this and it was definitely worth the $50. ( )
  emilytimco | Nov 12, 2022 |
One can reasonably doubt that "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" is going to prove a classic of children's literature, but Rowling, whatever the aesthetic weaknesses of her work, is at least a millennial index to our popular culture. So huge an audience gives her importance akin to rock stars, movie idols, TV anchors, and successful politicians. Her prose style, heavy on cliche, makes no demands upon her readers. In an arbitrarily chosen single page--page 4--of the first Harry Potter book, I count seven cliches, all of the "stretch his legs" variety.

How to read"Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"? Why, very quickly, to begin with, perhaps also to make an end. Why read it? Presumably, if you cannot be persuaded to read anything better, Rowling will have to do. is there any redeeming education use to Rowling? Is there any to Stephen King? Why read, if what you read will not enrich mind or spirit or personality? For all I know, the actual wizards and witches of Britain, or America, may provide an alternative culture for more people than is commonly realized.

Rowling, J. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

for Jessica, who loves stories,
for Anne, who loved them too,
and for Di, who heard this one first.
The wand chooses the wizard, remember…I think we must expect great things from you, Mr. Potter…After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things - terrible, yes, but great.
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone is the original title in the UK.

The change to 'Sorcerer' is in the US title.

Please do not use the canonical title field to force one title over the other.
Please do not use CK to engage in edit wars. Please visit the Common Knowledge, WikiThing, HelpThing
group for discussions.

Harry's a wizard
studies magic at Hogwarts
fights possessed teacher
(asbunny)
A wizard child
saves his school from a Dark Lord
and makes some new friends.
(marcusbrutus)
Orphaned a baby
but growing up unknowing
he is a wizard
(Firefox-Flame_dancer)
Went with a strange man

because he gave me chocolate.

Almost got murdered.

(CathWhitney)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,114,731 books! | Top bar: Always visible