HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry…

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) (edition 2003)

by J.K. Rowling

Series: Harry Potter (1)

122,30319561 (4.29)7 / 1852
Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School for Wizards and Witches.
Member:Beardicus
Title:Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
Authors:J.K. Rowling
Info:Scholastic Inc, Hardcover, 309 pages
Rating:***

Work Information

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (Patangel)
    The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (alexiscartwheel, krizia_lazaro)
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (FFortuna, Morteana)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (xicanti, Unionhawk)
    xicanti: Another take on the whole boy wizard idea, albeit a decidedly darker one.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (wosret, quigui)
    The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (psybre)
    The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, Book 1) by Philip Pullman (Patangel, Leishai)
    The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (_Zoe_)
    The Chronicles of Chrestomanci: Charmed Life / The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (amyblue)
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (guurtjesboekenkast)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Unionhawk)
    Unionhawk: Both good fantasy series. Lord of the Rings is a slightly more difficult read though...
    The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J. K. Rowling (norabelle414)
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (tortoise, persky, suzanney, FFortuna, nfeldbaum)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret, darzzled)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: White's tale of glory and sorcery.
    Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones (kerravonsen)
    kerravonsen: Children's fantasy, check. Protagonist who doesn't know he's a magician/wizard, check. Schooling in magic, check.
    Magyk by Angie Sage (Bitter_Grace, LadyBlakeny)
    The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy (cransell, Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    cransell: The first in an enjoyable series of stories about a young witch at boarding school.
    The Books of Magic by Neil Gaiman (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: You want an explanation? Read The Books of Magic; if you loved Sorcerer's Stone, which is about an ordinary boy discovering a whole new world where he finds a future larger than he had ever imagined, you will love Neil Gaiman's The Books of Magic. If you ever find yourself thinking that after an awful lot of sequels and years of a multi-billion dollar franchise being squeezed for every Knut, that the world of Harry Potter has lost its magic, I urge you to rediscover it again in The Books of Magic. There is nothing else to say; there is only awe and wonders.… (more)
    Fablehaven by Brandon Mull (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This is a great fantasy series about a brother and sister who are sent to live with their grandparents for the summer. When they arrive they are amazed at how much land their grandparents own-a vast forest, expansive grounds, and a beautiful garden. When Seth goes to explore the forest (although his Grandfather has clearly forbidden it), he meets Muriel, a cunning witch who tries to capture him. This meeting soon unlocks a great secret that their grandparents have been guarding for many years. This is an exciting, funny, and mysterious fantasy that I highly recommend reading!… (more)

1990s (12)
Ghosts (265)

English (1,856)  Spanish (19)  Dutch (14)  German (14)  Italian (10)  French (7)  Danish (3)  Finnish (3)  Catalan (3)  Swedish (3)  Hungarian (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Portuguese (1)  Russian (1)  Greek (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (1,942)
I loved all of the movies as a kid and have always told my self to read the books. Let me tell you you are REALLY missing out if you haven't read the books. JK Rowling is a goddess loved everything about the books this one being one of my favorites. ( )
  Kdwinamst | Jan 25, 2023 |
First sentence: Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much. They were the last people you'd expect to be involved in anything strange or mysterious, because they just didn't hold with such nonsense.

Premise/plot: Harry Potter, our protagonist, is an orphan destined for adventures--and misadventures. Raised by muggles, his aunt and uncle, he is clueless that his parents were involved in magic--witch and warlock. Both attended Hogwarts. Though the Dursleys plan to send Harry to an ordinary school, well, fate (if you will) has other plans. He receives dozens--and dozens and dozens--of invitations to Hogwarts. No matter how much his aunt and uncle want to deny Harry his heritage--his legacy--they are thwarted. (One might sympathize with them if they weren't presented as Roald Dahl style caricatures. After all, if they treated Harry as their own flesh and blood, if they treated him well, if they truly, deeply had his best interests at heart...then one might argue that they are trying to protect Harry.

Much of the book is set at school--Hogwarts--and involves Harry interacting with his closest friends (like Ron and Hermione), his classmates, his professors, his enemies. Harry (and company) get in and out of trouble on multiple occasions. Harry does have a BIG ENEMY (one who is not to be named, perhaps). He does make a brief appearance towards the end of the novel.

My thoughts: I have not read the series. Let's just get that out in the open from the start. I read this for the first time in 1997 as a college student for a course in children's literature. I wasn't intrigued enough to get into the craze, the phenomenon, the obsession. In the twenty-five years since, I've not picked up another title in the series.

Honestly, I'm not sure I will continue with the series this time. I might. I might not. It's just enough out of my comfort zone that it is not an easy decision.

I will say that it was easier the second time around. I got so confused the first time through. Perhaps because I was probably juggling a million different texts and textbooks at the time. That's life as an English major for you. Each class has a heavy load of books, books, and more books. ( )
  blbooks | Jan 20, 2023 |
Oh yeah! I was also slightly dissapointed that Hagrid's birthday cake message for Harry was written in perfect Japanese. In the English version it was badly written, suggesting a low level of education. I was hoping to see an equivalent in the Japanese translation and was curious as per how they'd choose to translate it. I guess they decided to avoid it lol ( )
  enlasnubess | Jan 13, 2023 |
Enjoyable, relaxing read. Looking forward to moving on with the series. ( )
  amcheri | Jan 5, 2023 |
Read this with my son and we both enjoyed it. He enjoyed it a bit more than I did. I, honestly, didn't think I'd get into it but I did and found myself quite involved. Rowling has a great gift at writing a scene. I felt like I was in the stands watching Harry play Quidditch. ( )
  amcheri | Jan 5, 2023 |
One can reasonably doubt that "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" is going to prove a classic of children's literature, but Rowling, whatever the aesthetic weaknesses of her work, is at least a millennial index to our popular culture. So huge an audience gives her importance akin to rock stars, movie idols, TV anchors, and successful politicians. Her prose style, heavy on cliche, makes no demands upon her readers. In an arbitrarily chosen single page--page 4--of the first Harry Potter book, I count seven cliches, all of the "stretch his legs" variety.

How to read"Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"? Why, very quickly, to begin with, perhaps also to make an end. Why read it? Presumably, if you cannot be persuaded to read anything better, Rowling will have to do. is there any redeeming education use to Rowling? Is there any to Stephen King? Why read, if what you read will not enrich mind or spirit or personality? For all I know, the actual wizards and witches of Britain, or America, may provide an alternative culture for more people than is commonly realized.

Rowling, J. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

for Jessica, who loves stories,
for Anne, who loved them too,
and for Di, who heard this one first.
The wand chooses the wizard, remember…I think we must expect great things from you, Mr. Potter…After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things - terrible, yes, but great.
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone is the original title in the UK.

The change to 'Sorcerer' is in the US title.

Please do not use the canonical title field to force one title over the other.
Please do not use CK to engage in edit wars. Please visit the Common Knowledge, WikiThing, HelpThing
group for discussions.

Harry's a wizard
studies magic at Hogwarts
fights possessed teacher
(asbunny)
A wizard child
saves his school from a Dark Lord
and makes some new friends.
(marcusbrutus)
Orphaned a baby
but growing up unknowing
he is a wizard
(Firefox-Flame_dancer)
Went with a strange man

because he gave me chocolate.

Almost got murdered.

(CathWhitney)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,619,972 books! | Top bar: Always visible