Test book with all fields by David Foster…

Test book with all fields (edition 1999)

by David Foster Wallace (Author), FirstName2 LastName2 (Composer), Stephen King (Introduction), JK Rowling (Afterword)

Series: Harry Potter (1)

132,40620351 (4.29)7 / 1896
Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School for Wizards and Witches.
Member:knerd.knitter
Title:Test book with all fields
Authors:David Foster Wallace (Author)
Other authors:FirstName2 LastName2 (Composer), Stephen King (Introduction), JK Rowling (Afterword)
Info:Publication information (1999)
Collections:Test Pages, Fiction
Rating:****1/2
Tags:one, two, three, remove, four

Work Information

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (alexiscartwheel, krizia_lazaro)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (Patangel)
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (FFortuna, Morteana)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (xicanti, Unionhawk)
    xicanti: Another take on the whole boy wizard idea, albeit a decidedly darker one.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (wosret, quigui)
    The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (psybre)
    Northern Lights by Philip Pullman (Patangel, Leishai)
    The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (_Zoe_)
    The Chronicles of Chrestomanci: Charmed Life / The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (amyblue)
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (guurtjesboekenkast)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Unionhawk)
    Unionhawk: Both good fantasy series. Lord of the Rings is a slightly more difficult read though...
    The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J. K. Rowling (norabelle414)
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (tortoise, persky, suzanney, FFortuna, nfeldbaum)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret, darzzled)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: White's tale of glory and sorcery.
    Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones (kerravonsen)
    kerravonsen: Children's fantasy, check. Protagonist who doesn't know he's a magician/wizard, check. Schooling in magic, check.
    Magyk by Angie Sage (Bitter_Grace, LadyBlakeny)
    The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy (cransell, Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    cransell: The first in an enjoyable series of stories about a young witch at boarding school.
    Witch Week by Diana Wynne Jones (tortoise)
    Fablehaven by Brandon Mull (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This is a great fantasy series about a brother and sister who are sent to live with their grandparents for the summer. When they arrive they are amazed at how much land their grandparents own-a vast forest, expansive grounds, and a beautiful garden. When Seth goes to explore the forest (although his Grandfather has clearly forbidden it), he meets Muriel, a cunning witch who tries to capture him. This meeting soon unlocks a great secret that their grandparents have been guarding for many years. This is an exciting, funny, and mysterious fantasy that I highly recommend reading!… (more)

1990s (12)
Ghosts (269)

English (1,919)  Spanish (22)  German (14)  Dutch (14)  Italian (11)  French (8)  Danish (4)  Catalan (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Hungarian (3)  Swedish (3)  Finnish (3)  Portuguese (1)  Russian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Piratical (1)  Greek (1)  Latin (1)  All languages (2,013)
Showing 1-5 of 1919 (next | show all)
Ah, Harry Potter. This series always gets me. I genuinely can't get enough of it. It is one of the most well-written series of all time. Let's start off by discussing the first book: The Sorcerer's Stone.

I don't really have much to say about it that hasn't already been said. It is a timeless classic. J.K. Rowling created an incredible magical world for us to explore. Sure, it's low fantasy, so it's not like we have an entire new world and location to explore, but what we have is still very interesting. I love learning about the history of the wizarding world as well as all of its spells, creatures, and notable figures. It is deep, rich, and exciting.

Rowling's writing style is phenomenal. She doesn't beat around the bush. She gets straight to the point. This is a very fast-paced book that you will not be bored reading at all. Every single character is notable and memorable. Rowling absolutely nailed it with the characterization. You can describe every single character she's created with at least a couple adjectives off the top of your head. That's a sign that these characters are well-written.

I also love the mysteries she implements into her stories. They all play an integral role in the main plot, and the massive reveals in the end are always so exciting. Every time I go on a couple years without reading these books and then come back to read them having forgotten a great deal of information, those last few chapters get me. The plot twists never fail to blow me away. Rowling is a master at setting up them and revealing them in the most enthralling ways possible.

While I do still love this book overall, I'd definitely say it's one of the weaker ones in the whole series. The biggest problem I have with this book is that it's a little too childish at times. I know that it's a children's book, but tons of elements feel a little too cartoonish and comical at times. Certain character's traits feel a little too exaggerated and not nuanced enough, and that can make them more black and white than I'd like. I prefer grayer characters, but that's just me.

Also, some aspects of the world-building don't make a lot of sense if you've read the upcoming books, so certain plot holes can arise. Why did Dumbledore fly back to Hogwarts from the Ministry of Magic instead of just apparating? If love saves you from the Killing Curse, why did no one else have that mark on them? Were they not loved as much as Lily loved her son? Also, there are tons of contradictions here and there about using magic outside the magical world. As we find out later on, the Ministry knows when magic is used in the presence of Muggles and can punish you for it. If that's the case, why wasn't Hagrid punished for using magic in front of the Durselys? Why did he tell Harry not to mention the fact that he used magic to anyone else? Can the Ministry not detect magic if it's issued from an umbrella?

Anyway, I still find tons of enjoyment in this book despite the problems I have with it. It is a great read and will instantly hook in anyone who's never heard of Harry Potter before. ( )
  Moderation3250 | Feb 24, 2024 |
I've seen all of the movies, and I've had the books for a while, but I never got around to reading them (I started this book a couple years ago but didn't finish it until now).

Honestly, what can I say that hasn't already been said about this book? Maybe it's because I watched the movies first, but I just love the characters so much and when they laugh, I laugh, when they cry, I cry. I care about them, I want to see them succeed and be happy. I really enjoyed reading this book! I imagine it's just as amazing an experience if you haven't seen the movies, but seeing them helps a lot with looks and quirks of the characters, I think. No matter your age, you'll most likely fall in love with Harry, who always finds trouble, Hermione, who is so smart and brave, and Ron, who serves not only as comedy relief, but also shows what being a best friend is truly about! ( )
1 vote AnnoyingTiger888 | Feb 20, 2024 |
Fantasy
  BooksInMirror | Feb 19, 2024 |
He leído este maravilloso libro por quinta vez, y es, sin duda, uno de mis favoritos en el género de fantasía. Es divertido, original y de lectura ágil, lleno de momentos ingeniosos donde la amistad prevalece ante todo.

A pesar de que inicialmente podría parecer una historia juvenil, abordando temas como el acoso escolar, la familia desestructurada, las primeras amistades y la magia, profundiza en cuestiones importantes como el racismo, el clasismo, el bien y el mal, todo de manera políticamente correcta, convirtiéndolo en un libro adecuado para todo tipo de público. ( )
  judithDelRio | Feb 8, 2024 |
The book is okay I suppose, but I wasn't all that impressed by it. There isn't much in terms of character development and the plot is too perfect. It just doesn't make logical sense that three new wizards just happen to encounter and achieve all they are able to. ( )
  mlstweet | Feb 5, 2024 |
Showing 1-5 of 1919 (next | show all)
One can reasonably doubt that "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" is going to prove a classic of children's literature, but Rowling, whatever the aesthetic weaknesses of her work, is at least a millennial index to our popular culture. So huge an audience gives her importance akin to rock stars, movie idols, TV anchors, and successful politicians. Her prose style, heavy on cliche, makes no demands upon her readers. In an arbitrarily chosen single page--page 4--of the first Harry Potter book, I count seven cliches, all of the "stretch his legs" variety.

How to read"Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"? Why, very quickly, to begin with, perhaps also to make an end. Why read it? Presumably, if you cannot be persuaded to read anything better, Rowling will have to do. is there any redeeming education use to Rowling? Is there any to Stephen King? Why read, if what you read will not enrich mind or spirit or personality? For all I know, the actual wizards and witches of Britain, or America, may provide an alternative culture for more people than is commonly realized.
added by vibesandall | editWall Street Journal, Harold Bloom (Jul 11, 2000)

Gerda Wurzenbergers Rezension ist deutlich anzumerken, dass sie eigentlich nicht so recht nachvollziehen kann, was die Ursache für das grassierende „Harry-Potter-Fieber“ sein mag und wieso sich gerade Erwachsene mit solcher Emphase auf diese Geschichten stürzen. Und der Tatsache, dass dieses Kinderbuch nun in einer deutliche teureren Ausgabe für Erwachsene erschienen ist (mit „erwachsenentauglichem Schutzumschlag“) mag sie auch nur wenig Begeisterung entgegenbringen. Sie findet die Geschichte einfach nur bedingt interessant. Spannung, Abenteuer und Phantasie könne man genauso gut auch in anderen Kinderbüchern finden, die „Ambivalenz des Lebens in der realen Welt“ spiele hier keine Rolle und mit „pädagogischen Bedenken“ hält sich die Autorin ihrer Ansicht nach auch nicht unnötig auf. Sie vermisst den Tiefgang in dieser Literatur und erklärt sich die Begeisterung vieler erwachsener Leser damit, dass diese sich möglicherweise an die Internatsgeschichten von Enid Blyton erinnert fühlen.
added by vibesandall | editNeue Zürcher Zeitung (Mar 22, 2000)

J. K. Rowlingprimary authorall editionscalculated

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Awards

Distinctions

Notable Lists

for Jessica, who loves stories,
for Anne, who loved them too,
and for Di, who heard this one first.
Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
The wand chooses the wizard, remember…I think we must expect great things from you, Mr. Potter…After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things - terrible, yes, but great.
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone is the original title in the UK.

The change to 'Sorcerer' is in the US title.

Please do not use the canonical title field to force one title over the other.
Please do not use CK to engage in edit wars. Please visit the Common Knowledge, WikiThing, HelpThing
group for discussions.

Harry's a wizard
studies magic at Hogwarts
fights possessed teacher
(asbunny)
A wizard child
saves his school from a Dark Lord
and makes some new friends.
(marcusbrutus)
Orphaned a baby
but growing up unknowing
he is a wizard
(Firefox-Flame_dancer)
Went with a strange man

because he gave me chocolate.

Almost got murdered.

(CathWhitney)
Mamija raconte
L'histoire du sorcier célèbre
Mélen comprend rien
(Tiercelin)

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,963,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible