HomeGroupsTalkExplore

The Accidental Demon Slayer by Angie Fox

The Accidental Demon Slayer (edition 2008)

by Angie Fox (Author)

Newly anointed with demon-fighting powers and suddenly able to hear the thoughts of her hilarious Jack Russell terrier, a preschool teacher finds a whole new world of dark and dangerous, including a sexy shape-shifting griffin she’s not entirely sure she can trust.
Member:RedheadRapunzel
Title:The Accidental Demon Slayer
Authors:Angie Fox (Author)
Info:Love Spell (2008), Edition: First Printing, 292 pages

Work Information

The Accidental Demon Slayer by Angie Fox

mostly fun, but rough around the edges ( )
  travelgirl-fics | May 23, 2022 |
Lizzie's adoptive parents were decent enough but never very loving, so she's thrilled when her biological grandmother contacts her out of the blue and wants to meet. Her dreams of warm hugs are ruined when her grandmother locks her in her own bathroom, just in time for a demon to appear and try to kill her. Once that's been dealt with, her grandmother explains that she's a witch and Lizzie is a demon slayer, and they have to get moving before more demons arrive. Lizzie is a preschool teacher who carefully plans everything, so this is very much outside her comfort zone, but she eventually grabs her dog Pirate (who can now talk) and reluctantly gets on her grandmother's motorcycle.

Lizzie's grandmother takes her to the Red Skulls coven, where she's supposed to gain the coven's protection and begin learning to use her powers. These plans are complicated by imps, more demons, a sexy shape-shifting griffin named Dimitri, werewolves, and no one being willing to tell Lizzie anything about what's going on.

If I hadn't been reading this for my Booklikesopoly game, I might have DNFed it early on and added it to my offload pile. I wouldn't have missed out on much. This was an incredibly frustrating read. Pretty much the only things I liked were Lizzie's talking dog, who was a bit much at first but eventually grew on me, and maybe Lizzie, although I did think she was way too forgiving.

Lizzie barely got a chance to speak to her grandmother for the first time before she was dragged into a world of magic and supernatural creatures. With no time to get her bearings, she was taken to her grandmother's coven, where she was told nothing important and immediately made to take part in a protection spell that wasn't fully explained to her. She was rightfully worried about drinking something that might have bits of roadkill in it, and that potion turned out to be the most important part of the spell. She then blamed herself for screwing up, even though it was due to the coven not explaining anything to her, and the coven had the gall to get mad at her when they found out.

And it kept happening - everyone either lied to Lizzie, expected her to do as she was told without even a basic explanation, or deliberately withheld information from her. Most of the characters in this book sucked, and I wouldn't have blamed Lizzie for leaving them behind to deal with their problems on their own. Dimitri, Ant Eater (a member of the coven), and Lizzie's grandmother were the biggest offenders.

There was no magical system as far as I could see. If the author wanted a spell to exist, it probably did (there were giggle, dance, and transportation spells), and Lizzie eventually learned how to use these things called switch stars that were basically magical ninja stars. The ending was a mess - Lizzie and her grandmother did things more because the story called for it than because it fit anything that had previously been established about how magic and demons worked.

The "paranormal romance" label on the book's spine wasn't very accurate. Lizzie thought Dimitri was hot, and they eventually had sex, but there wasn't much of what I'd call romance and the story was more focused on the whole demon thing than on Lizzie and Dimitri's relationship. "Urban fantasy with romantic aspects" might be a more accurate label.

Anyway, I don't intend to read any more of this series. The dog was sweet, but the magical aspects were very weak, and Lizzie deciding to stay with people who'd spent the whole book lying to her or refusing to tell her anything she needed to know honestly made me think less of her.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Jun 13, 2020 |
When i first read this, I was in the throes of an obsession with paranormal romance. I loved the characters because they seemed so real... Thank You Angie Fox, for writing such a fabulous novel! ( )
  Booksunknown23 | May 18, 2020 |
Got this book free from Amazon....
Before reading this book, I read the reviews. Some of them were on the positive side, but there was a lot that was on the negative side. And so with that, I was a little hesitant on reading this book. But I did, and yes there was some parts that I groaned and was like omg this character is going to be yuck, and needs to grow some figurative balls. Talking about the main character Lizzie. Who is very self preserved and very uptight, she said words like H-E- double hockey sticks. Of course, I rolled my eyes on this, because not even the prissiest person talks like this.

However, even with the cutsie wootsie talk, which gets less annoying the longer your read. I got pretty hooked into this story. Overall, the book was really good. And to hear that it started one night on an envelope while taking care of a fussy infant. Just goes to show that inspiration can strike at anytime.

I definitely will be continuing this series, because not only has Lizzie grown on me, Dimitri entices me, and the red skulls they are a hoot.... also Pirate the dog... can forget that. ( )
  hixxup79 | Feb 23, 2020 |
I wanted to like this book, as I thought it was a fun concept with potentially interesting characters - the 30 year old pre-school teacher who finds out she's a demon slayer, a cute dog sidekick, a Harley riding grandmother and a Greek shape-shifting griffin protector. Unfortunately, the writing is awful. I only made it to chapter 12 before I finally gave up.

My biggest issue is that the story is too choppy - things happen or are said with no explanation; the backstory is chaotic and incomplete; and the characters are flat and confused. The main character, Lizzie, seems to have split personalities. For instance, the story starts with Lizzie meeting her Grandma for the first time after only knowing about her from the day before. Lizzie comments about how she wants honesty, but people keep letting her down - and she names friends we (the readers) have never heard of and have no idea why/how these unknown characters have let her down. Yet, she goes off with her Grandma, who tells her almost nothing and is clearly keeping info from her. Then in less than a day Lizzie is completely devoted to this woman. I just don't buy that. I get that someone who's been adopted may have the need to find blood relatives. But I don't buy that in less than a day, it's "grandma" this and "grandma" that instead of using grandma's (a virtual stranger) name, and Lizzie is already acting like this woman, who she's never met hung the moon. Lizzie also wavers back and forth between wimp and super slayer. She mostly stays in wimp mode - just accepting these things that happen to her, never sticking up for herself. For instance, Lizzie just lets all these characters insult her and pull her in all over the place, but never reminds them that she had no idea about magic, witches, or demon slaying until a few hours ago. Then all the sudden she stands up to Ant Eater (and can anyone explain what's with the witches names?) in the trailer and almost kills her. WTF?

Because of these issues, the book difficult, almost painful, to read, which is why I finally put it down. With a better editor, the choppiness might be ironed out to make it a better read. But my advice, go with MaryJanice Davidson's Undead series or Victoria Laurie's Ghost Hunter series for a better read. ( )
  wanderinglynn | Mar 22, 2018 |
For my parents, Ted and Marie Fox, who pretended not to notice the flashlight I kept under my bed for when I had to read just one more chapter
When I opened the door to greet my grandmother for the very first time, I'm not sure what I was expecting.
The dark spells churned in the musty ship behind me. They stomped and demanded my attention. I'd never been so attracted to danger in my life.

Straight-laced preschool teacher, Lizzie Brown, never lies, never cusses, and doesn’t really care much for surprises. When her long lost Grandma Gertie shows up on her doorstep on a neon pink Harley Davidson wearing a “Kiss My Asphalt” t-shirt and hauling a carpet bag full of Smuckers jars filled with road kill magic, Lizzie doesn’t think her life could get any stranger. That is, until her hyper-active terrier starts talking and an ancient demon decides to kill her from his perch on the back of her toilet.

Lizzie learns she’s a demon slayer, fated to square off with the devil’s top minion in, oh about two weeks. Sadly, she’s untrained, unfit and under attack. Grandma’s gang of seventy-something biker witches promises to whip Lizzie into shape in no time, as long as she joins them out on the road. But Lizzie wants nothing to do with all this craziness. She simply wants her normal life back. When she accidentally botches the spell meant to protect her, she only has one choice – trust the utterly delicious but secretive man who claims to be her protector.

Dimitri Kallinikos has had enough. Cursed by a demon centuries ago, his formerly prominent clan has dwindled down to himself and his younger twin sisters, both of whom are now in the coma that precedes certain death. To break the curse, he must kill the demon behind it. Dimitri needs a slayer. At long last, he’s found Lizzie. But how do you talk a girl you’ve never met into going straight to Hell? Lie (and hope she forgives you). Dimitri decides to pass himself off as Lizzie’s fated protector in order to gain her trust and guide her towards this crucial mission. But will his choice to deceive her cost them their lives, or simply their hearts?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,923,143 books! | Top bar: Always visible