The Mother Dance: How Children Change Your…

The Mother Dance: How Children Change Your Life (edition 1999)

by Harriet Lerner

Series: Dance books (4)

From the celebrated author of The Dance of Anger comes an extraordinary book about mothering and how it transforms us -- and all our relationships -- inside and out. Written from her dual perspective as a psychologist and a mother, Lerner brings us deeply personal tales that run the gamut from the hilarious to the heart-wrenching. From birth or adoption to the empty nest, The Mother Dance teaches the basic lessons of motherhood: that we are not in control of what happens to our children, that most of what we worry about doesn't happen, and that our children will love us with all our imperfections if we can do the same for them. Here is a gloriously witty and moving book about what it means to dance the mother dance.… (more)
Member:PSFLIBRARY
Title:The Mother Dance: How Children Change Your Life
Authors:Harriet Lerner
Info:Harper Paperbacks (1999), Paperback, 336 pages
Tags:Mothering

The Mother Dance: How Children Change Your Life by Harriet Lerner

It was okay. I liked the end especially ("Kids? Why Risk It?"), because it was what I was looking for.

My take away:
-- be careful about transmitting your food and body issues to your kids. Forbidding food (sweets and chocolates) will only make them want those more. Don't force your kids to Clean Their Plates. Encourage them to eat when hungry and stop when full.
-- No couple can maintain the same workload as before. But it doesn't have to be the mother (or father) completely giving up one's career. Both parents could cut down on their working hours.
-- Worrying is inherent to being a parent.
-- Kids will turn your life upside down.

She quotes Anne Lamott a lot. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |

Smith-Hansen, AstaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zetterström, GunTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,410,027 books! | Top bar: Always visible