Harbor by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Harbor (original 2008; edition 2011)

by John Ajvide Lindqvist (Author), Marlaine Delargy (Translator)

"From the author of the international and New York Times bestseller Let the Right One In (Let Me In) comes this stunning and terrifying book which begins when a man's six-year-old daughter vanishes.One ordinary winter afternoon on a snowy island, Anders and Cecilia take their six-year-old daughter Maja across the ice to visit the lighthouse in the middle of the frozen channel. While the couple explore the lighthouse, Maja disappears -- either into thin air or under thin ice -- leaving not even a footprint in the snow. Two years later, alone and more or less permanently drunk, Anders returns to the island to regroup. He slowly realises that people are not telling him all they know; even his own mother, it seems, is keeping secrets. What is happening in Domaro, and what power does the sea have over the town's inhabitants? As he did with Let the Right One In and Handling the Undead, John Ajvide Lindqvist serves up a blockbuster cocktail of suspense in a narrative that barely pauses for breath"--… (more)
Member:brokensandals
Title:Harbor
Authors:John Ajvide Lindqvist (Author)
Other authors:Marlaine Delargy (Translator)
Info:Thomas Dunne Books (2011), Edition: Reprint, 512 pages
Collections:To read
Tags:to-read

Work Information

Harbor by John Ajvide Lindqvist (2008)

English (63)  Finnish (3)  Swedish (2)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (70)
Just finished Människorhamn by John Ajvide Lindqvist and this was the very first book I've read by the author, and I really, really like this book. I both listened to the audio version (read by the author himself) and read the book, sitting outside in the sun (far away from water). This is a perfect book for those that love reading books with a paranormal angle. ( )
  MaraBlaise | Jul 23, 2022 |
This is the best Lovecraftian horror I've read since Lovecraft, and even better than most-to-all of Lovecraft. I won an ARC of it from Tor, and promptly spent 6-7 years _not_ reading Harbor, which I now regret. ( )
  Azuaron | Mar 1, 2022 |
Meh - It was good but it was plodding and slow. I would recommend it for people who like that type of writing but for others, pass on it. ( )
  Drunken-Otter | Aug 20, 2021 |
Che cos'è che non va ne "Il porto degli spiriti"?
Penso soprattutto una cosa: l'autore non ha progettato bene l'opera. Probabilmente è partito molto ispirato, ma invece di pianificare una trama si è basato su suggestioni e su immagini: il mare del nord, la bruma, il cielo carico di nubi,il vento gelido e la vertigine che le forze dalla natura provocano negli animi umani. Infatti il romanzo è pieno di bellissime cartoline, descrizioni potenti degli elementi naturali, scene cariche di tensione e bellissime descrizioni psicologiche dei protagonisti (come ho già detto, Lindqvist sa usare la penna) e tutto ciò sembra anche funzionare all'inizio, ma poi ci si accorge dell'inconsistenza del tutto e ci si domanda quand'è che inizierà la storia. Credo che, a un certo punto, anche Lindqvist si sa reso conto di averla tirata troppo per le lunghe e cerca di risolvere il libro con un finale velocissimo che sa di raffazzonato a 20 km di distanza.
Ecco, sono queste le cose che non vanno ne "il porto degli spiriti". Queste e anche il fatto che, sarà che ho letto troppi romanzi in cui sono presenti, sarà che, in uno di questi, ci vivo, ma i villaggi su cui gravano orribili maledizioni e innominabili forze abissali mi hanno un po' stancato. ( )
  JoeProtagoras | Jan 28, 2021 |
This novel isn’t really a horror novel, to me. It was rather tense a couple times, but I wouldn’t classify it as horror. I’m not sure what I’d say it’s genre is, but it was good...!
This novel varied from incredibly interesting history and knowledge of Sweden and the towns mentioned, to utter weirdness. GOOD weirdness! Usually it takes me two days to listen to an audiobook, or maybe three if I don’t have much time. But with this novel I kept rewinding parts to listen to again. The narrator isn’t Swedish so I wasn’t having issues understanding a thick accent or anything ; in fact, he’s British. I think....lol. The narrator is Julian Rhind-tutt, and easily understandable. Maybe it was just that Sweden and Swedish things are so foreign to me that I had to hear some parts twice (and one part three times) just to get what was happening ‘straight’ in my head. But it was mostly enjoyable.
The only part I didn’t like was the ending. Just BOOM and it was done, and you have no idea what happened next. I hate this. There was also a disgusting part where the main character ate a bug, but that’s no big deal lol.
Anyway, read this book! You might like it.
4 stars, and recommended. ( )
  stephanie_M | Apr 30, 2020 |
Den stockholmske skjærgården beskrives stort sett alltid som en idyll med strålende solskinn og blått hav og uendelige, late sommerdager. Men det var før John Ajvide Lindqvist skrev en bredt anlagt skrekkroman fra Roslagen, ei bok som kaster lange, mørke skygger over både farbror Melker og Evert Taube.
added by annek49 | editDagbladet, Kurt Hanssen (Dec 17, 2008)

De dødes hav : «Menneskehavn» er nok en strålende roman fra John Ajvide Lindqvist, en velopplagt, potent fortelling som er både grøssende og rørende.

Skumlest av alt er kjærligheten : Hvem skulle tro at skrekkindustriens språk kan brukes til å skrive en uhyre effektfull og gripende roman om grenseløs kjærlighet?

Existentiell grundforskning : SORG OCH SAKNAD Trots gengångare och magi är skräckinslagen nedtonade i John Ajvide Lindqvists nya roman. Hans perfekta gehör för miljöer och stämningar går igen från de tidigare romanerna ­liksom förmågan att berätta

Människohamn hakar tag direkt, och en föreställningsvärld där liv kräver död, offer sin belöning och brott straffar sig verkar lika rimlig som den förtvivlade pappans övertygelse om att dottern finns kvar i det skeva huset de bodde i på ön, och meddelar sig med honom på olika rörande sätt.

John Ajvide Lindqvistprimary authorall editionscalculated
Delargy, MarlaineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rhind-Tutt, JulianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sybesma, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my father
Ingemar Pettersson (1938-1998)
He gave me the sea
The sea took him from me
För tretusen år sedan var Domarö bara en stor, flat sten som stack upp ur vattnet, krönt av ett flyttblock som isen hade lämnat efter sig.

They only stopped watching her for a matter of minutes. Which was all it took.

On a clear winter's day, Anders took his wife and feisty six-year-old, Maja, for a walk from his home on the island across the frozen sea to the lighthouse at Gavasten. There was no one for miles around, so they stayed to admire the view while Maja struck out alone.

They never saw her again.

Two years later and Anders' wife has left him, he's an unemployable alcoholic, so he returns to what's left of his family on the island. Moving back to the hut where he'd been staying with Maja that last time, he soon begins to feel a presence in the house. Could Maja be trying to communicate with him? Someone — or something — is leaving him messages and he can feel them getting stronger.

Before long, it's not just a feeling and Anders starts seeing people who've been missing for years. Is it the drink or is he going mad?

When he realizes Maja's is just the last in a long line of disappearances and that his fellow islanders know a lot more than they'll admit, he digs deeper and unearths a dark and deadly secret at the heart of the community — an ancient evil, which he'll be forced to awaken if he's going to find out the fate of his beloved daughter.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

John Ajvide Lindqvist's book Harbor was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1921656670, 192175866X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,141,702 books! | Top bar: Always visible