Disney After Dark (2005)

by Ridley Pearson

Series: Kingdom Keepers (1)

Thirteen-year-old Finn Whitman and four other young teens have been transformed into holgorams to be guides for visitors to Disney World. When Finn is unexpectedly transported to the Magic Kingdom in his hologram form, Wayne, an Imagineer, tells him that he and the other guides must save the park from the scheming witch Maleficent and the Overtakers.… (more)
    Disney at Dawn by Ridley Pearson (disney42)
    Hidden Mickeys, 2nd Edition : A Field Guide to Walt Disney World's Best Kept Secrets by Steven M. Barrett (KingdomKeeperCM)
    KingdomKeeperCM: If you enjoyed solving the clues in KK, you will love Hidden Mickeys! Ever heard of Walt Disney World's Best Kept Secret? The Imagineers hid Disney icons in the Parks, on everything from pats of butter to original statues of Characters. Now Steven M. Barrett brings you a guide to find these wonderful icons! What's more- you can turn these guides into contests if you are in a long waiting queue (pretty soon, nobody will need Fastpasses because of these books)!… (more)
    Witch and Wombat by Carolyn Cushman (SunnySD)

This book does not deserve the paper it was written on. When middle school kids complain that they do not like to read, or that books are too hard to read, I wouldn't blame them if they were talking about this book.

As a brief illustration of how stupid this book was, behold this magnificent passage:
"Her hair was the color of laundry lint. Her eyelashes were so pale they were almost invisible, which left her eyelids looking like weird flesh-colored cups that blinked down over her eyes like a bird's."

"Like a bird's"? Like a bird's what? Like a bird's... flesh-colored cups? How did this line make it past an editor? Also, lint can be purple. It can be red. It can be green or pink or blue. Lint comes in every glorious shade of the rainbow. What then, pray tell, was the color of her hair?

All in all, this book stinks. If you are in middle school, I beg of you, read the Penderwicks or the Melendy books or something that will not discourage you from reading forever. ( )
  Samantha_Quick | Jul 15, 2021 |
Finn, along with a group of four other teenagers, is the basis for one of Disney's new hologram tour guides, with his image serving to host and direct visitors throughout the park. However, in a weird sort of dream he learns that there is great danger facing the park against which he and the other hosts need to fight. The group then goes on nighttime adventures throughout the Magic Kingdom, trying to win back control over the Kingdom from the evil characters trying to take it over.

This book was a fun, quick read. The story was definitely creative, and I enjoyed the Disney setting. Though I didn't think they meshed especially well with the rest of the story, I also did enjoy the parts involving Virtual Magic Kingdom, as that definitely reminded me of my childhood. The book very clearly targeted a younger audience, and that definitely showed, I think, in how parts of the book were (or weren't, as the case may be) fleshed out; and even though this book obviously has fantastical elements, it sometimes pushed suspension of disbelief a little to far. I may well pick up another book from this series for a light read sometime. ( )
  forsanolim | Jun 12, 2020 |
I read this because one of my 6th graders kept telling me how good it was. It came out in 2005, and I’m sure it’s not a coincidence that Gail Carson Levine’s [book: Fairy Dust and the Quest for the Egg] came out that same year. It seems that Disney paid a lot of money to talented writers to flesh out bad storylines involving classic Disney characters. (Although, I adore David Christiana’s illustrations in the latter.) This book has a lot of good elements- a mismatched group of kids who have to overcome their differences to save the world (including one who is treasonous), three-dimensional holographs that enable the kids to enter a parallel, sinister world, and roller coasters. Unfortunately, the story just doesn’t hang together well. Aside from the main character and the one who defects to the dark side, the kids are pretty much interchangeable. One of the more annoying plot contrivances is the man who seems to know what the kids need to do to save Disneyland from the villains, but insists that the kids have to find out for themselves. It’s never really clear why he can’t solve the problem himself. ( )
  amandabock | Dec 10, 2019 |
Really fun book about disney ( )
  KirstenHillig | Nov 13, 2019 |
This was a middle grade fantasy story similar to a Disney-themed Five Nights at Freddy's where five teens deal with evil forces coming to life in the Disney World park at night in the form of Disney characters and animatronics from the rides.

I enjoyed reading this book a lot. Though the young characters and Disney-themed plot are indicative of a middle grade novel, the writing itself passed for YA to me; nothing felt unbelievably whimsical or silly the way middle grade often does. I enjoyed this aspect of the story a lot. I also had fun reading about the characters using VMK, or Virtual Magic Kingdom, a Disney-run MMO chat game that used to exist. I played on the site very briefly as a kid (my mom found out and decided she didn't want me on it) but I have strong, fond memories of it which I found myself revisiting in the reading of this book.

My main dislike of this book was its ending. It felt like it was wrapped up way too fast and not enough was explained. I realized when I was searching the title on good reads that the book has a sequel, at least, and so the writer probably planned from the beginning not to explain everything at the end, but that was not evident to me by the presentation of the book's cover jacket, etc., so the somewhat unfinished feel felt out of place. I also felt bad about the author's treatment of a minor character named Dillard, who seemed to exist entirely for the author to call fat in the first half of the book.

All-in-all, I was very impressed with the book. It was much better than I had expected going in. ( )
  NovelInsights | Sep 21, 2019 |
Ridley Pearson's fantasy is fast paced and technologically savvy. Finn and his friends make repeated forays after hours into the very guts of such Disney icons as Tom Sawyer's Island, It's a Small World, Adventure Mountain, and other rides both tame and wild as they lay siege to Maleficent, an evil witch whose minions are at work to destroy the Disney mystique. The kids hang out at the park looking for signs and signals that will aid them in their nighttime quest for securing Disney power. Their parents are mildly suspicious, but Finn and his pals are fast talkers, willing to face their nighttime nemeses alone, rather than bringing in adult forces. Gary Littman reads with a variety of accents, some of which are less successful than others, and it's easy to differentiate among both kids and adults. Given how much Disney has seeped into the very core of Americana, most listeners will be able to understand the references and will know for whom Maleficent is a foil. While the details about why one would become a hologram for Disney are slighted, the sleuthing aspect of the tale has universal appeal.
added by lampbane | editLibrary Journal, Francisca Goldsmith

For anyone who has imagined what goes on in Walt Disney World after the gates close to the public, Pearson's (Peter and the Starcatchers) tale and Littman's authentic-sounding narration, in middle-schooler Finn Whitman's voice, offer a suspenseful all-access pass to the Magic Kingdom behind the scenes-filled with action, technology and a tricky (and implausible) riddle. Finn lands a cooler-than-cool opportunity after he becomes a model for a new breed of "holographic hosts" (Disney Host Interactive/Daylight Hologram Imaging) at Disney World. But the experience gets weirder than weird when Finn and the other four DHIs find themselves transported to the park via their nighttime dreams and must save the Magic Kingdom from Disney witches and villains called "Overtakers" by solving a puzzle said to be left behind by Walt himself. Littman reads at a smooth pace, speeding up along with the story's tension. He nails realistic kid-like reactions and dialogue even though listeners might find much of the plot hard to believe (and some of the plugs for Disney a bit over the top).
added by lampbane | editPublishers Weekly

Pearson, RidleyAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Elwell, TristanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Littman, GaryReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to anyone and everyone who ever wondered what happens when the gates are closed and the lights go out.
He found himself standing next to the flagpole in Town Square, in the heart of the Magic Kingdom.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,437,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible