Disney After Dark by Ridley Pearson

Disney After Dark (2005)

by Ridley Pearson

Series: Kingdom Keepers (1)

Thirteen-year-old Finn Whitman and four other young teens have been transformed into holgorams to be guides for visitors to Disney World. When Finn is unexpectedly transported to the Magic Kingdom in his hologram form, Wayne, an Imagineer, tells him that he and the other guides must save the park from the scheming witch Maleficent and the Overtakers.… (more)
    Disney at Dawn by Ridley Pearson (disney42)
    Hidden Mickeys, 2nd Edition : A Field Guide to Walt Disney World's Best Kept Secrets by Steven M. Barrett (KingdomKeeperCM)
    KingdomKeeperCM: If you enjoyed solving the clues in KK, you will love Hidden Mickeys! Ever heard of Walt Disney World's Best Kept Secret? The Imagineers hid Disney icons in the Parks, on everything from pats of butter to original statues of Characters. Now Steven M. Barrett brings you a guide to find these wonderful icons! What's more- you can turn these guides into contests if you are in a long waiting queue (pretty soon, nobody will need Fastpasses because of these books)!… (more)
    Witch and Wombat by Carolyn Cushman (SunnySD)

This was a middle grade fantasy story similar to a Disney-themed Five Nights at Freddy's where five teens deal with evil forces coming to life in the Disney World park at night in the form of Disney characters and animatronics from the rides.

I enjoyed reading this book a lot. Though the young characters and Disney-themed plot are indicative of a middle grade novel, the writing itself passed for YA to me; nothing felt unbelievably whimsical or silly the way middle grade often does. I enjoyed this aspect of the story a lot. I also had fun reading about the characters using VMK, or Virtual Magic Kingdom, a Disney-run MMO chat game that used to exist. I played on the site very briefly as a kid (my mom found out and decided she didn't want me on it) but I have strong, fond memories of it which I found myself revisiting in the reading of this book.

My main dislike of this book was its ending. It felt like it was wrapped up way too fast and not enough was explained. I realized when I was searching the title on good reads that the book has a sequel, at least, and so the writer probably planned from the beginning not to explain everything at the end, but that was not evident to me by the presentation of the book's cover jacket, etc., so the somewhat unfinished feel felt out of place. I also felt bad about the author's treatment of a minor character named Dillard, who seemed to exist entirely for the author to call fat in the first half of the book.

All-in-all, I was very impressed with the book. It was much better than I had expected going in. ( )
  NovelInsights | Sep 21, 2019 |
This book is the first in a series of adventure and mystery children's novels set in the Walt Disney World theme parks that I'm reading to my Disney fan daughter. The basic gist is that five young teenagers have been used as models for holographic theme park guides in Disney's Magic Kingdom known as Disney Host Interactive (DHI). A simple one-time acting gig unexpectedly leads the kids to start crossing over in their sleep and appearing in the Magic Kingdom in the form of their holograms. An old and mysterious Imagineer named Wayne tells them that they were created to counter the characters of Disney villains who are coming to life and trying to take over the parks (and thus known as the Overtakers).

The five teens kind of have a Scooby Doo crew crossed with a Disney Channel Original Movie vibe. Finn is the leader and the main protagonist of the book. Charlene is an athletic cheerleader who is often frightened about participating in the adventures. Maybeck, a tall African-American, is the sceptic of the group and typically responds with sarcasm. Willa, possibly of Native American background, is more positive and is good at working out clues. Philby is the redheaded tech genius of the group. Finn's mysterious friend Amanda also helps out, although she is not a DHI.

They have to solve a mystery by finding clues on the rides. The Overtakers try to stop them by turning the rides against them. Which leads to the creepiest scene ever in It's a Small World that will totally ruin the ride for you. They ultimately have to face down Malificent and her sidekick Jez.

It's a fun and interesting story, and much more of a literary children's book than you might expect from it's commercial tie-in with a big theme park. In fact, since the Disney company is so image conscious, I'm surprised that they actually make the company look bad at some points in the narrative. My daughter enjoyed this book and I expect we'll be reading the whole series. ( )
  Othemts | Jul 15, 2019 |
Interesting premise, decent characters, a bit shaky on the execution. The story got a little convoluted at times, and the author seemed to revel in their insider knowledge of all things Disney World. Still going to read the next one. ( )
  ladypembroke | May 17, 2019 |
Eh. I got two chapters in and just didn't care about any of it.
  liz.mabry | May 13, 2019 |
This book was SO much better than I expected. Fun characters, neat storyline. ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |
Ridley Pearson's fantasy is fast paced and technologically savvy. Finn and his friends make repeated forays after hours into the very guts of such Disney icons as Tom Sawyer's Island, It's a Small World, Adventure Mountain, and other rides both tame and wild as they lay siege to Maleficent, an evil witch whose minions are at work to destroy the Disney mystique. The kids hang out at the park looking for signs and signals that will aid them in their nighttime quest for securing Disney power. Their parents are mildly suspicious, but Finn and his pals are fast talkers, willing to face their nighttime nemeses alone, rather than bringing in adult forces. Gary Littman reads with a variety of accents, some of which are less successful than others, and it's easy to differentiate among both kids and adults. Given how much Disney has seeped into the very core of Americana, most listeners will be able to understand the references and will know for whom Maleficent is a foil. While the details about why one would become a hologram for Disney are slighted, the sleuthing aspect of the tale has universal appeal.
added by lampbane | editLibrary Journal, Francisca Goldsmith

For anyone who has imagined what goes on in Walt Disney World after the gates close to the public, Pearson's (Peter and the Starcatchers) tale and Littman's authentic-sounding narration, in middle-schooler Finn Whitman's voice, offer a suspenseful all-access pass to the Magic Kingdom behind the scenes-filled with action, technology and a tricky (and implausible) riddle. Finn lands a cooler-than-cool opportunity after he becomes a model for a new breed of "holographic hosts" (Disney Host Interactive/Daylight Hologram Imaging) at Disney World. But the experience gets weirder than weird when Finn and the other four DHIs find themselves transported to the park via their nighttime dreams and must save the Magic Kingdom from Disney witches and villains called "Overtakers" by solving a puzzle said to be left behind by Walt himself. Littman reads at a smooth pace, speeding up along with the story's tension. He nails realistic kid-like reactions and dialogue even though listeners might find much of the plot hard to believe (and some of the plugs for Disney a bit over the top).
added by lampbane | editPublishers Weekly

Pearson, RidleyAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Elwell, TristanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Littman, GaryReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to anyone and everyone who ever wondered what happens when the gates are closed and the lights go out.
He found himself standing next to the flagpole in Town Square, in the heart of the Magic Kingdom.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,760,608 books! | Top bar: Always visible