Getting the Girl: A Guide to Private…

Getting the Girl: A Guide to Private Investigation, Surveillance, and…

by Susan Juby

Sweet story about sticking up for the underdog, school bullying and friendship. I didn't get very close to any of the characters however. Three stars. ( )
  MegAnastasi | Oct 26, 2015 |
Her usual unique brand of humour, that causes much laughing-out-loud humour. Realistic young male voice with bang-on dialogue. Great book! ( )
  LoriShwydky | May 6, 2015 |
I've been trying to decide why I don't think this book quite pulled it together all the way and I think it's because it couldn't decide how serious it wanted to be. The treatment of the Defiled at some points is so severe that it seemed to call for a more serious treatment than it got, but the tone throughout remains quite light and breezy. I also have trouble believing that this precise system would be allowed to exist in a high school. I did feel that Sherman was a very believable and likeable character, but everything else was so quirky. Also, if you're trying to market your book as a mystery, which seems to be the aim with this one, there should be some more actual detecting. Sherman mostly stumbles around without finding anything out. I think in part this was just not what I expected and so suffered some in my estimation. Still good and fun - probably best for those who are fans of Juby's other work - it will be interesting to see if she goes with a sequel to this. ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |
Every now and then, a Harewood Tech girl finds herself D-listed. Her picture goes up in the bathrooms, and it’s like she doesn’t exist anymore—at least, once people get past the verbal abuse and throwing things stage. Sherman Mack is in love with a girl he’s pretty sure is going to get D-listed, unless he can figure out who’s responsible before they get to her. His investigation will go nowhere, though, as long as he’s the only one willing to stand up against the D-listing in the first place.

What I particularly liked: Sherman, who is completely girl-crazy and a little obsessed with his masculine image, is a cook. He's taking cooking classes (granted, at his vo-tech high school, where there are other guys who cook) and he's not ashamed of that, which is nice to see. I'd prefer if he had been a good, or even competent, cook, but it's a start. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 31, 2013 |
This was a really cute book! When I first started reading it, I wasn't really sure if I would like it - it seemed a bit too silly, even for a YA book, but as I got further into it, the main character won me over completely. Not only that, but the book actually deals with a complex issue, proving once again that you can't judge a book on the first couple of chapters. I'm glad I continued reading through to the end! ( )
  roxyrolla | Oct 1, 2012 |
Mack Daddy is used in some other senses parallel to extended senses of mack. One is "a good-looking man; a ladies' man; playboy." Another is "a person, especially a man, who is influential, intelligent, successful, etc."
--The Urban Dictionary
There is no man alive who is not partially jackass. When we detect some areas of jackassery within ourselves, we feel discontent. Our image suffers.
--Meyer to Travis McGee in A Tan and Sandy Silence by John D. MacDonald
For my brothers, Trevor, Aaron, and Scott
I was sitting on the old blue bleachers with Dini.

From the back of the book.... "Meet Sherman Mack. Short. Nerdy. An amateur P.I. who's prepared to do anything for Dini Trioli.... Nobody knows who began it, but every girl at Harewood Tech fears being D-listed, a ritual that would wipe her off the social map forever. When Sherman believes Dini is in danger of being D-listed, he launches a full-scale investigation to uncover who is responsible. One thing is for sure: Sherman Mack is on the case. And he's not giving up... Part comedy, part mystery, and with all of Juby's trademark tongue-in-cheek humore, GETTING THE GIRL takes on one of the cruelest aspects of high school--how easy it is for an entire school to turn on someone, and how hard it is being the only one to fight back.

Sunglasses. Check.
Binoculars. Check.
Notepad. Check.
Mom's pink bike. Check. Check?

Meet Sherman Mack. Short. Nerdy. Amateur P.I. and prepared to do anything for Dini Trioli.

Nobody knows who began it or when it became a tradition, but every girl at Harewood Tech fears being D-listed, a ritual that wipes her off the social map forever. When Sherman believes Dini is in danger of being D-listed, he snatches up his surveillance gear and launches a full-scale investigation to uncover who is responsible.

Could it be the captain of the lacrosse team?

The hottest girls in school, the Trophy Wives?

Or maybe their boyfriends?

One thing is for sure: Sherman Mack is on the case. And he's not giving up.

Part comedy, part mystery, and with all of Juby's trademark tongue-in-cheek humor, Getting the Girl takes on one of the cruelest aspects of high school: how easy it is for an entire school to turn on someone, and how hard it can be to be the only one willing to fight back.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:59 -0400)

Ninth-grader Sherman Mack investigates the "Defilers," a secret group at his British Columbia high school that marks certain female students as pariahs, at first because he is trying to protect the girl he has a crush on, but later as a matter of principle.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,655,167 books! | Top bar: Always visible