The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Cats Cat Breeds & Cat Care (1999)

by Alan Edwards

This encyclopedia brings together in one volume the latest veterinary-approved advice on cat care and up-to-date coverage of the world's cat breeds.

636.8
  OakGrove-KFA | Mar 28, 2020 |
So yeah, I adopted a kitten a few months ago, and somehow I've become one of those "cat people". I send random cat photos to friends, come running when kitty cries, and ensure that he is well-stocked on cat toys and healthy grain-free chow. Naturally, I couldn't allow neglecting to pick up a cat book hinder my aspirations to become a perfect father to the lovable beastie.

...anyhoo, this is *one* of the books that I picked up. It's something along the lines of a cat breed guide, with behavior and care tips thrown in. So what's inside?

Well, for starters there's the aforementioned breed guide. This is actually my favorite part of the book, even though I have a moggie cat. There are various cat breed guides on the internet, but this book's photos are high quality and it's nice to flip through the reasonably organized pages. There's even some breed history and trivia here. For example, how did exotic shorthair cats come into being? Did you know that the Siamese cat was described in a 15th century Thai manuscript? It's all in there.

There are also a lot of short chapters on useful and/or interesting cat-topics. One chapter outlines the domestication of the house cat, going back 8,000 years to ancient Cyprus. Another addresses behavior and intelligence, explaining kitty-cat emotions and instincts. There's also a chapter dedicated to grooming your cat, including cat-bathing tips for those inclined to live dangerously.

There's also first aid info, such as handling stings and bites. You know, I'm not an expert in veterinary care. Still, I'll try my best to be a one-person emergency crew should anything happen to my little precious. So the next time kitten belches after a huge meal, I'll keep a sharp eye on him and have this book handy…

Hm, what else is in here, let's see…well, there's tips on handling your cat, moving him/her, diet, using collars and leads (yeah, that's happy times), cat toys, cat safety, cat environment- a little bit of cat-this and cat-that.

How would I sum this book up? Well, it's glossy, and enjoyable to browse. In my opinion, the centerpiece is the breed guide, along with the very nice photos. The other chapters seem to be a brief but decent starter in cat care. Oh, and I'd also have to say that the trivia sprinkled throughout the book is a nice touch.

Anything in my quest to be a well-rounded caretaker for the little scamp.
  ancientworld | Aug 7, 2013 |
This is a good reference to have for any cat owner. It is fully colored and it has a brief overview of the major types of cat breeds out there. The guide itself guides the reader from choosing a cat to taking care of its basic needs to emergency situations. I think it's a handy guide to keep in your library. ( )
  Angelic55blonde | Apr 18, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,320,552 books! | Top bar: Always visible