Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Four Swans (1976)

by Winston Graham

Series: Poldark Saga (6)

The sixth book in the legendary Poldark saga Cornwall, 1795: Although Ross Poldark - now something of a war hero - seems secure in his hard-won prosperity, a new dilemma faces him in the sudden infatuation of a young naval officer for his wide Demelza. All four women - the four swans - whose lives touch Ross' face a crisis in these years. For his wide Demelza, his old love Elizabeth, for his friend's new wife Caroline and for the unhappy Morwenna Chynoweth, these are times of stress and conflict.… (more)

What the hell, Demelza.

The best part of this is Ossie's problem.

Quotable: "Elizabeth almost asked Rowella and Arthur as well; but somehow one just couldn't bring oneself to invite a librarian, not to supper at least, and she knew it would have made George angry." ( )
  beautifulshell | Aug 27, 2020 |
This was a book about the four main women in the saga--although it got a bit off base off and on I thought. ( )
  lhaines56 | Aug 4, 2020 |
Struggling with the dark turn this series has taken. All the reviews I'm reading with women gushing how "romantic" it is - seriously?? You're okay with the main character being a rapist and now the local vicar not only being a rapist but a pervert and child molester?? Huh. I suspect you also gobbled up the Fifty Shades trilogy as 'literature' and went in droves to see the smutty film adaptation 🤦‍♀️ ( )
  knp4597 | Mar 19, 2018 |
The focus of this Poldark entry is on the four women in Ross's life, Demelza, Elizabeth, Caroline, and Morwenna. Morwenna has been married off to the despicable Osbourne Whitworth despite her love for Demelza's brother Drake, and the marriage is even more unhappy than we could have anticipated. Demelza acquires a young admirer, Hugh, a young naval officer, much to Ross's dismay. Caroline and Dwight are working through issues in their marriage resulting from his need for serious work and her need for leisure. Elizabeth continues to blind herself to the machinations of George Warleggan, as he nurtures his suspicions about Valentine's parentage.

4 stars ( )
  arubabookwoman | Dec 18, 2017 |
Excellent story! Kept me up late night turning pages. ( )
  meacoleman | Dec 4, 2017 |
To Fred and Gladys
'Whitworth,' Ross said. 'Do you find him an agreeable fellow?'

'He's seldom about when I call.'
'I have always wanted to throw him in some stinking pond.'
Caroline said: 'I admire you for your subtlety, Ross. What has the poor man done to deserve such dislike?'
'Except that he used at one time to come sniffing round Demelza, very little to me personally, but--'
'Well, I trust you don't dislike every man who takes a fancy to Demelza, or you would be hard pressed to find a friend!'
'Sniffing,' said Demelza. 'I don't recollect him sniffing. It was the way his tail wagged I didn't greatly care for.'

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,310,947 books! | Top bar: Always visible