Dog Eats Dog by Iain Levison

Dog Eats Dog (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Iain Levison

Member:bfister
Title:Dog Eats Dog
Authors:Iain Levison
Info:Bitter Lemon Press (2008), Edition: 1st Paperback Edition, Paperback, 282 pages
Tags:crime fiction

Dog Eats Dog by Iain Levison (2008)

English (3)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All (5)
For 4MA discussion. A hardened criminal meets his match when he takes a social-climbing dolt of a professor hostage, sort of a "Ransom of Red Chief" meets In Cold Blood. I have trouble suspending disbelief when a writer has professors making $100,000 to teach a course a year at a small liberal arts college. What else did he get wrong?
  bfister | Jan 8, 2011 |
Yes, it's a murder mystery, but also a character drama featuring some people with personalities that exemplify the darker, greedier, overly self involved sides of human nature . The characters who "get ahead" are those who take advantage of opportunities born of other people's misfortunes, greed or self interest sometimes with dark comedic results! ( )
  nkmunn | Nov 19, 2010 |
Phil Dixon, on the run after his latest bank robbery, desperately needs a place to stay. When he spots young college professor Elias White naked with his clearly underage neighbor, Dixon knows he’s in, and he really, really wants to be in. He’s determined to get out of his criminal lifestyle with this money, but he has to recover from his gun wound first. What Dixon doesn’t expect is just how well that lifestyle will click with Elias, and this unexpected encounter leads to some unlikely consequences for both parties, especially when FBI Agent Denise Lupo comes to town, hunting Dixon down.

I didn’t expect that this book would be hilarious, but it often is. It adds in little touches of sarcasm on nearly every page, sardonic commentary on the way we live. This is at its heart a critical look at our world - everyone is out for themselves, and the best men (or women) win no matter what it takes. I was expecting a mystery, but I got so much more out of this. It’s a great story with a message. I enjoyed it throughout and the plot consistently surprised me as I found I was misled and turned just slightly off track so that Levinson could really deliver his message. In Levinson’s world, you just have to be clever and wily to get by - not smart or hard-working. It’s a depressing theory, but he delivers it in such a way that you don’t mind. You’re too busy having fun, and only when the book ends do you ponder this deeper message. Or so it went for me.

This is a really entertaining book with a more fundamental level of meaning. I read it in a day. I’d recommend it to anyone seeking a quick, satirical read.

http://chikune.com/blog/?p=209 ( )
  littlebookworm | Aug 31, 2008 |

Philip Dixon is down on his luck. An escape from a lucrative but botched bank robbery lands him bleeding and on the verge of collapse in a college town in New Hampshire. How can he find a place to hide out in this innocent setting? Peering into the window of the nearest house, he sees a glimmer of hope: a man in his mid-thirties, obviously some kind of academic, is rolling around on the living room floor with an attractive high-school student. Professor Elias White is then blackmailed into harboring a dangerous fugitive, as Dixon - with a cool quarter-million in his bag and dreams of Canada in his head - gets ready for the last phase of his escape. But the last phase is always the hardest. Attractive and persistent FBI agent Denise Lupo is on his trail. As for Elias White, his surprising transition from respected academic to willing accomplice poses a ruthless threat that Dixon would be foolish to underestimate.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,838,117 books! | Top bar: Always visible