I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It…

I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was: How to Discover What You… (original 1994; edition 1995)

by Barbara Sher

If you suspect there could be more to life than what you're getting...if you always knew you could do anything if you only knew what it was, this extraordinary book is about to prove you right! A life without direction is a life without passion.nbsp;nbsp;The dynamic follow-up to the phenomenal best-seller Wishcraft, I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was (the New York Times Bestseller) guides you, not to another unsatisfying job, but to a richly rewarding career rooted in your heart's desire.nbsp;nbsp;And in a work of true emancipation, this life-changing sourcebook reveals how you can recapture "long lost" goals, overcome the blocks that inhibit your success, decide what you want to be, and live your dreams forever! You will learn: *nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp; What to do if you never chose to be what you are. *nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp; How to get off the fast track--and on to the right track. *nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp; First aid techniques for paralyzing chronic negativity. *nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp; How to regroup when you've lost your big dream. *nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp; To stop waiting for luck--and start creating it.… (more)
Member:msluisa
Title:I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was: How to Discover What You Really Want and How to Get It
Authors:Barbara Sher
Info:Dell (1995), Edition: 1, Paperback, 336 pages

Work Information

I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was: How to Discover What You Really Want and How to Get It by Barbara Sher (1994)

Another book is promising career & professional guidance. However, it's the same parachute; cheese methodology reworded to sound new and different- not! ( )
  Huba.Library | Aug 11, 2022 |
I thought that this was a good take on being stuck. There were exercises in it I hadn’t done before and I’m excited to out the lessons to practice. I borrowed this book from the library, but I may need to buy my own copy in case I need a refresher. ( )
  pmichaud | Dec 21, 2020 |
Amazon.com Review:

"A life without direction is a life without passion," says motivational specialist, therapist, and career counselor Barbara Sher. In I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was, a sort of broader, less dense, and less intimidating version of What Color Is Your Parachute?, she reveals how to "recapture long lost goals, overcome the blocks that inhibit your success, decide what you want to be, and live your dreams."
This is a perfect book for new college graduates or anyone sick and tired of languishing in a dead-end job or relationship--yet reluctant to make drastic life changes due to uncertainty about what would actually inspire them. I Could Do Anything combines the I'm-not-buying your-excuses inspiration of Dr. Laura Schlessinger with the soothing, analytic encouragement of Dr. Martin Seligman in his classic Learned Optimism. In other words, Sher will pick you up off your butt and get you moving. She's included enough self-analytical exercises in here to save you hundreds of dollars in therapy.

Whether you're looking to make improvements in your job or personal life, Sher will teach you how to determine what your goals are, and how to successfully reach them--even if right now the only thing you know is that you're vaguely to very unhappy and haven't the foggiest idea what to do with yourself.

Therapist Sher's guide to discovering and attaining personal and career goals was a PW bestseller for five weeks.
  Saraswati_Library | Jul 10, 2010 |
While the ideas here are sometimes simplistic, there is enough for any seeker on any level. From the beginning, the author points out that the reader should feel to either read it from beginning to end or pick and choose. The idea is that we bring our childhood programming with us to the work place and all of our relationships, even at work, are predicated on these behaviors. Some behaviors are effective, some are not. If you are a seeker, then you are looking to change something about your life at work: sometimes it's a small change, sometimes it's a wholescale change.

Has it worked for me? Well, I haven't yet been offered the job of my dreams, but it has helped clarify what I'm feeling while on this cusp of a major change. I've been with the same boss for 18 years and in the same profession for 21 years. I'm feeling unsatisfied with my current path, but my attempts at change have produced nothing but despair, lowered self esteem, and confusion.

What I've learned with this book is that life is a process; nothing is overnight. ( )
  reika33 | Jul 8, 2008 |
I recommend this to anyone, even if you are content with your job. ( )
  jjsreads | Apr 8, 2007 |

Barbara Sherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Smith, Barbarasecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my beloved dad, Sam Sher. He lit up our lives.
Not knowing what you want to do with your life is no joke.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,585,350 books! | Top bar: Always visible