The Feminine Mystique (50th Anniversary…

The Feminine Mystique (50th Anniversary Edition) (original 1963; edition 2013)

by Betty Friedan (Author), Gail Collins (Introduction), Anna Quindlen (Afterword)

A fiftieth anniversary edition of the trailblazing women's reference shares anecdotes and interviews that were originally collected in the early 1960s to inspire women to develop their intellectual capabilities and reclaim lives beyond period conventions.
Member:untraveller
Title:The Feminine Mystique (50th Anniversary Edition)
Authors:Betty Friedan (Author)
Other authors:Gail Collins (Introduction), Anna Quindlen (Afterword)
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (2013), Edition: 50th Anniversary, 592 pages
Collections:2020
Rating:***

The Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan (1963)

English (31)  French (1)  All languages (32)
I would like to give this book a high grade, but no can do. Numerous issues with the book: redundancy, issues of class in which Friedan advocates almost without fail only for the top ‘x’ % of the social sphere, she is thoroughly homocentric in her views (everything in her sphere of influence is human driven). She spoke of her own experiences, which were limited. ( )
  untraveller | Jan 14, 2020 |
Among other issues, the "Progressive Dehumanization" chapter is so incredibly offensive and anti Semitic I cannot in good conscience give this book more than one star. ( )
  korahl | Dec 16, 2019 |
Excerpts from [The Feminine Mystique] - powerful, though reflects the time it was written. ( )
  brakketh | Dec 8, 2019 |
To make a complicated idea simple, if still abstract: the feminine mystique (which is like a pseudo-feminism, the followers of which usually feel themselves to be very benevolent and practical, or simply ‘like folks’ if nothing else) is the idea that women should be, not liberated, but compensated.

‘You must not be free, for you must not not please me. However, you may for your service be rewarded.’ It’s not the most base possible slavery—not the kind that simply takes, without any compensation at all— but it is promotion only to a sort of serfdom: you must obey, and in return you will be compensated by membership in a sort of secular church, you along with the master; you must have no rights—you must have no rights— but you may have many special privileges. You will not be free, but you will have power, even arbitrary power. And, if you know what’s good for you, you will be flattered.

That is the feminine mystique; to oppose it you need not raise your voice, though you must *understand* what it is to be in a luxury jailhouse. ( )
  smallself | Jul 16, 2019 |
"I expected to revisit this book as I would a period piece, interesting, worthy of notice and of homage, yet a little dated and obvious as well...and I expected to be properly grateful. Which is to say, slightly condescending." - Afterword by Anna Quindlen

Although Quindlen instead found herself enrapt, this quote is exactly how I felt about the majority of this book. It gave me a lot of insight into a time period in American history, but did not resonate with my modern ideas of equality. I feel grateful for the changes that built on this book and its incredible importance, but I cannot ignore the tunnel-like focus on middle class white women and instances of explicit homophobia.

There are certainly a lot of pieces that made me think about what exactly my expectations are from an equal society and how an inability to pursue a passion stagnates and frustrates a person.

Happy to have read about where we were as a society 50-60 years ago and reflect on where we are now - both the good and the bad. ( )
1 vote eraderneely | Feb 14, 2019 |

Friedan, Bettyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hardenberg, JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Melior, EvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quindlen, AnnaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shriver, LionelIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wagenaar, StannekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all the new women, and the new men
to Carl Friedan
and to our children—
Daniel, Jonathan, and Emily
—1970 Dell Paperback edition
Preface:  Gradually, without seeing it clearly for quite a while, I came to realize that something is very wrong with the way American women are trying to live their lives today.
The problem lay buried, unspoken, for many years in the minds of American women.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,622,821 books! | Top bar: Always visible