Eve of Darkness (Marked Series) by S. J. Day

Eve of Darkness (Marked Series) (edition 2013)

by S. J. Day (Author)

Series: Marked (1)

"Cursed by God, hunted by demons, desired by Cain and Abel... All in a day's work. For Evangeline Hollis, a long ago fling with a bad boy from the wrong side of the tracks just became a disaster of biblical proportions. One night with a leather-clad man of mystery has led to a divine punishment: the Mark of Cain. Thrust into a world where sinners are drafted into service to kill demons, Eve's learning curve is short. A longtime agnostic, she begrudgingly maneuvers through a celestial bureaucracy where she is a valuable but ill-treated pawn. She's also become the latest point of contention in the oldest case of sibling rivalry in history... But she'll worry about all that later. Right now she's more concerned with learning to kill while staying alive. And saving the soul she'd never believed she had." --Publisher's description.… (more)
Member:megansusedbooks
Title:Eve of Darkness (Marked Series)
Authors:S. J. Day (Author)
Info:Tor Books (2013), Edition: First, 368 pages

Eve of Darkness by S.J. Day

A twist on Cain and Abel, angels, indulgences and God. Discouraging to see those who should be angelic be unworthy.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
Opinião completa em: http://pepitamagica.blogspot.pt/2015/05/livro-eve-e-as-trevas-de-sylvia-day.html

Este livro, pela sua sinopse, deixou-me bastante entusiasmada. E talvez tenham sido as expectativas, mas não foi tão bom quanto eu esperava.

A história é interessante, mete arcanjos, anjos, demónios e quase tudo o que se possa imaginar. Começa com uma vida simples, de uma designer que quer apenas ter um bom trabalho, uma casa boa, com um marido atencioso e filhos. E isso vai-lhe ser arrancado sem qualquer escolha da sua parte.
(...)
Demorei um pouco a escrever esta (curta) review por uma simples razão: cada vez que pensava mais no livro, menos gostava dele e quis ver até onde ia. Vou ler os próximos mas não pela Eve – pelo Alec e pelo Reed, e porque quero saber o que os arcanjos vão fazer – além de que gostei bastante da panóplia de seres fantásticos que a autora conseguiu inserir no livro.

Uma luta eterna entre o bem e o mal, que me levou a querer ler este livro mas que, no final, por causa da protagonista e pela maneira como por vezes as personagens se relacionavam entre si, não atingiu todo o seu potencial. ( )
  Joana_v_v | Feb 9, 2016 |
Aimed for adults with a lot of sex, but written more simply as if for teens. ( )
  VicBT | Sep 21, 2014 |
Took me forever to get through, only finished because I started. Ugh. ( )
  newskepticx | Dec 18, 2013 |
2.5 stars.

Ten years ago, Evangelline Hollis had a hot passionate one-night stand with a misterious stranger; and now it has come back to haunt her. Turns out this was a big mistake and so Eve is Marked. The Mark of Cain makes you stronger, faster and thougher... but it also means that you have to hunt rogue demons. Thrown into a strange world against her will, Eve is forced to learn fast just to stay alive.

It really pisses me off when a book is marketed as being one thing and then you read it and it's another thing entirely.

I bought this, because I read about it as being a urban fantasy book about a woman who was forced into an unknown world of Magic and other supernatural stuff. Note that I said "urban fantasy" here. Eve of Darkness is paranormal romance; meaning the story doesn't really focus on the events I described above. Well, to be fair, it does focus on ONE aspect of the "mark": the fact that newly-marked people have a very healthy sexual appetite. Fortunately for Eve, the hunk Alec is there to satisfy her.
Oh, there is another story... but it takes very few pages compared to the parts where it's described how lusty Eve feels and how much she wants Alec and how much she is attracted to his brother Reed (Abel). This. Is. Paranormal. Romance. And not the best one I've read either.

The concept was cool, I just wished the author had done more with it. I found the world-building weak because, let's face it, the relationships were more important. Most of the characters didn't convince me either. I liked Evangelline, I thought she was a refreshing change from the more traditional contemporary fantasy heroines but the male characters were walking stereotypes (and were described as such; I mean "tall, dark and handsome"?). Just ugh.

Overall, there is not much to recommend this book. If you're looking for urban fantasy I wouldn't buy this. If you want paranormal romance... well, go for it. ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
The Devil is in the details.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

S.J. Day's book Eve of Darkness (Marked, Book 1) was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Sylvia Day is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,548,032 books! | Top bar: Always visible