dismiss

Bone crossed by Patricia Briggs

Bone crossed (edition 2009)

by Patricia Briggs

Car mechanic/shapeshifter Mercy Thompson must protect her friends from vampire queen Marsilia's revenge.
Member:daydreaming.antigone
Title:Bone crossed
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:New York : Ace Books, c2009.

Bone Crossed by Patricia Briggs

Recently added byprivate library, LaNegra574, Avonelle, AgentSong394, Tzza, FidsLady, PoppyM, jsemenza, tjglaser

English (145)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  All languages (148)
Please note spoilers from previous three books are discussed here. Also trigger warning: rape.

I read "Bone Crossed" years ago. I own all of the Mercy Thompson and Alpha & Omega books, but after finishing "Burn Bright" this year, I was reluctant to even revisit Mercy. I have to say, that this one was a tough read just because I just couldn't get into it. I already knew what was going to happen, and I knew what other crap is going to be thrown Mercy's way, so I just felt frustrated and annoyed while reading. That said, this is still a good book. We have Mercy still dealing with being raped in the last book. She wants to be with Adam, but doesn't know if she's ready for all that entails. If that isn't enough, Mercy is now "marked" by Marsilla the Queen of the Vampires seethe in her area. Mercy killed one of Marsilla's people so she leaves crossed bones above her place of business letting everyone know that her days are numbered. Stefan is left a husk (literally) with the other werewolves in the Pack stepping up to make sure that he lives. Things are not that simple though at first glance.

I do feel bad in this one that we finally have Mercy with an older female friend (Amber) who she hasn't seen in years. Amber comes for help with getting rid of a ghost that is bothering her family. We all know that Mercy can see ghosts and as she showed in Blood Bound, is able to get rid of them too. Too bad for Mercy that has walked into another trap dealing with vampires. I really do wish that Mercy had more human female friends. She's been all up in Pack business for the last 5 or 6 books and it's getting old. I think I called Mercy a Mary Sue in the later books, and she honestly is one. There's no situation she cannot win.

The strengthened relationship between Adam and Mercy is wonderful to see though. Now that she has made her choice between him and Samuel, you get to see them both just totally go all in for each other throughout the book. There is a little hiccup with Stefan though and us finding out what it really means when a vampire bites you.

Bran shows up in this one. Whatever to him. Used to be one of my favorites, now I just want to clobber him with something.

Mercy's mother shows up in this one too. I really wish that Mercy had let her mother stay and actually talk to her about what happened to her. I think that Briggs glossed over this a bit in the later books. We know that Mercy was raped and it's even discussed how gentle Adam is with her because of this, he also asks permission with her and gets her full consent. I just think that it would be great for Mercy to just talk to someone about it that is a female friend.

We do find out more about the vampires in this one and we get the first time that Mercy meets her faithful walking stick. That thing needs its own backstory.

The writing was good, crisp with new information not previously known. The flow was off though. We had Mercy going back and forth between the Tri-Cities and Amber's place in Spokane. I just thought that there was a bit too much going on in this one starting off. Things get revealed in the end and make sense, but at first I felt a little lost.

The world-building with the vampires are more fleshed out in this one. I didn't realize how much I needed a break from the Pack in this one until now.

The ending leaves Mercy with her walking stick and doing what she can to free/save some people that mean a lot to her. We get a lot of ghost action in this one too. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
Mercy is trying to get over being raped (and having the attack videotaped) and then killing her assailant. She is also trying to come to terms with her new mating bond with Adam who has taken her into his pack - something that she didn't think was possible given that she's a coyote and not a wolf.

Beyond that, the vampires are unhappy with her and Stefan. She's had a symbol painted on her garage indicating that she is a traitor to the vampires and which leaves her open to all sorts of attacks by other paranormals. She also learns that Stefan had been tortured and starved by Marsilia when his very dessicated body is dropped into her living room requiring feeding by a number of Adam's wolves.

And if that wasn't bad enough, Amber, an old frenemy from college, comes to urge her to visit her home in Spokane where her son is being haunted by a vengeful ghost. Adam and Stefan both urge her to go to Spokane to get her away from Marsilia's revenge. After all, there is only one vampire in Spokane. So Mercy should be safe.

What Mercy doesn't know is that the only vampire in Spokane has hired Amber's husband to be his lawyer. Mercy wakes up two mornings in a row with bite marks on her neck. She also bonds with Amber's deaf son Chad when she proves that he is being haunted by some sort of vengeful ghost and she manages to convince Chad's father that the ghost is real.

Mercy doesn't know how to get rid of the ghost and heads back to the Tri-Cities to get away from the vampire and try to find out how to get rid of the ghost. There she learns that the vampire in Spokane could have some power over her because he likely forced her to make a blood exchange even if she doesn't remember it. Stefan offers to break that bond but the only way to do it is to form a bond of his own. That seems like the lesser of two evils and Mercy agrees after being sure that the bond won't make the wolves in Adam's pack vulnerable.

Mercy has a bad reaction to the mating bond since her idiosyncratic magic isn't letting her control the bond. It is while she is burned out and unable to contact Adam that she is kidnapped by Amber's husband who is the vampire's unwilling minion and returned to Spokane. As a coyote, she could get away but goes along in the hopes of rescuing Chad.

This was an exciting and fast-paced story with all kinds of twists and turns. Mercy has a lot to deal with but manages all the issues with grace, courage, and humor. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jun 9, 2020 |
The fourth Mercy Thompson books starts right after the trauma of "Iron Kissed" and then kicks it up a notch by literally dropping a tortured, ravenous vampire into Mercy's arms.

What follows is clever, dual plot novel, focused on vampires and ghosts, that moves the whole series forward.

I was impressed at Patricia Briggs' ability to continue to be inventive in how she shapes the supernatural world. "Bone Crossed" gives me a kind of vampire I've never encountered before. It also succeeds at mixing werewolves, fae, vampires and ghosts in a way that feels credible and doesn't leave me feeling I need a field guide to supernatural beings to understand what's going on.

The main strength of the series is the strong focus on character-driven narrative, not just Mercy's character but for the secondary characters as well. Even the rather unpleasant leader of the local vampires gains some depth in this book. Everyone is granted some complexity that helps make them real.

I also admire the way humour, especially banter, is used to leaven the dark themes of the book without undermining or denying them.

What keeps things fantasy fretwork grounded is the willingness to take a realistic approach to the emotional impact of events. Patricia Briggs acknowledges that, even when you're a kiss-ass heroine coyote mechanic raised by wolves, the aftermath of rape is months of panic attacks that leave you vomiting and curling up into a ball.

She also allowed Mercy to make a choice between the two men who want her. I'm glad we avoided the Stephani Plumb Purgatory of never being allowed to choose one man because unresolved sexual tension sells. I also think she chose the right guy, so I'm smiling (who knew I'd care?). ( )
  MikeFinnFiction | May 16, 2020 |
Patricia Briggs is one of the best urban fantasy writers out there. Between her world-building and her characterization, she sucks you into every story. You feel the characters' insecurity, their pain, their hatred, and yes, their joy. Like Ilona Andrews, reading Patricia Briggs is like viewing a master class in writing. She's just great. ( )
  JordanSummers | Mar 31, 2020 |
I love this serise and still enjoyed the charicters alot, but it felt like a filler book with not much happening until the end. ( )
  Natix | Jun 3, 2019 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Enzweiler, MichaelCartographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jordan, whimsical, musical friend of critters furred, scaled, and feathered
I stared at my reflection in the mirror.
I could feel his willingness to participate in my trial pressed against my backside.
And like the wolf he (Adam) was, he laved the wound in my soul, bandaging it with his care - and moved on to the next. He explored thoroughly, found each mental wound - and a few I didn't know I had - and replaced them with other ... better things

There was I thinking being a shifter had its upsides. Looks like I was wrong.

Car mechanic and sometime shapeshifter Mercy Thompson has learned - the hard way - why her race was almost exterminated. When European vampires emigrated to North America, they found Mercy's people had a hidden talent for vampire slaying. Unfortunately for Mercy, the queen of the local vampire seethe has discovered her true identity.

The undead queen is also furious when she learns Mercy has crossed her and killed one of her own. Mercy may be protected from direct reprisals by the werewolf pack (and her interesting relationship with its Alpha), but that just means Marsilia will come after Mercy some other way. So Mercy had better prepare to watch her back.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,202,677 books! | Top bar: Always visible