Charlie Wilcox by Sharon E. McKay

Charlie Wilcox (2000)

by Sharon E. McKay

Another book that grabs students' attention. I was introduced to this book in university by my YALit prof, who recommended it as a book for kids who have never read a book from beginning to end. There was a student in that class who admitted to never having read any book and doubting that this one would change that...he came back the next day having finished it. I use this book to teach about World War I in my grade 6 Social Studies class, since it covers topics like women's roles, the difference in health care and social norms then and now, the various battles in which the Newfoundlanders were involved, loyalty, love, bravery, physical limitations, true sacrifice....I think I'm going to try to get a class set of these. ( )
  dawndreger | Sep 24, 2008 |

Charlie Wilcox stows away on what he believes to be a sealing ship in St. John's harbor, but when he emerges, he is shocked to discover that he is aboard a boat full of soldiers heading for a World War I battle overseas.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,815,587 books! | Top bar: Always visible