Aegypto (Spanish Edition) by John Crowley

Aegypto (Spanish Edition) (edition 1992)

by John Crowley (Author)

Series: Ægypt Cycle (1)

There is more than one history of the world. Before science defined the modern age, other powers, wondrous and magical, once governed the universe, their lore perfected within a lost capital of hieroglyphs, wizard-kings, and fabulous monuments. In the 1970s, a historian named Pierce Moffett moves to the New England countryside to write a book about Ægypt, driven by an idea he dare not believe: that the physical laws of the universe once changed and may change again. Yet the notion is not his alone. Something waits at the locked estate of Fellowes Kraft, author of romances about Will Shakespeare and Giordano Bruno and Dr. John Dee, something for which Pierce and those near him have long sought without knowing it: a key, perhaps, to Ægypt ... Shortlisted for the WORLD FANTASY and ARTHUR C. CLARKE AWARDs.… (more)
Member:figuerafabra
Title:Aegypto (Spanish Edition)
Authors:John Crowley (Author)
Info:Minotauro (1992), 456 pages

Aegypt by John Crowley

Possession: A Romance by A. S. Byatt (lottpoet)
    lottpoet: Possession reminded me quite strongly of the intellectual joys I experienced from page one of The Solitudes. I think both books deal with questions of knowledge (what is known, what can be known) and possibility.
    Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (LamontCranston)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (Crypto-Willobie)
    Doctor Mirabilis by James Blish (Crypto-Willobie)

UPDATE May 23th, 2015:
Just re-read this one, almost exactly a year since the first time. Still excellent. My favorite quote:
The last wish: the only wish, in fact. That things could be, not as they are, but in some way different instead. Not better, really, or not better in all ways; a little larger maybe, more full of this and that, but mostly just different. New. That I, Pierce Moffett, could know that it had once been as it was and is that way no longer, that I could know it to have once been remade and so able to be remade again, all new, all other. Then perhaps this grief would at last be lifted from my heart.
ORIGINAL REVIEW: May 18th, 2014:
Both a profound meditation on the nature of history and a moving personal story. A balance that is almost impossible to get right. Usually, you like the ideas enough that the crappy story doesn't matter, or vice versa. But Crowley delivers both in equal measure. A rare treat.

I wholeheartedly, unreservedly and (a little too) insistently recommend this book to any of my friends who are currently professors in subjects related to the history of ideas. There are one or two of you. ;) NB It's much more about the late medieval/early modern period than anything resembling the Egypt the title suggests. Regardless of your particular area of interest, you'll get a lot out of it. I pinky swear.

I'm going to post some choice quotes in my tumblr shortly: http://untravel.tumblr.com ( )
  ralphpalm | Nov 11, 2019 |
Pierce Moffett leaves his job as a history lecturer in New York and meeting up with a former student settles in a small town where he plans to write history from the viewpoint of Renaissance occultists and also to research a local novelist who included Dr Dee and Giordano Bruno in his works.

I had very mixed reactions to this book. There were parts which were intriguing and mind stretching, where I couldn't wait to see how the story would develop and there were lots of rabbitholes to go down and then there were parts where the ornate poeticism just made feel I couldn't take much more and want to give it up.

It did not help matters that I thought this was the complete series in an omnibus but turns out to be just the first volume. I bought the second volume in a burst of optimism but I'm not sure whether I want to continue or start something else. ( )
  Robertgreaves | May 19, 2017 |
I'm banking on this book grabbing me before too long. I'm nearly halfway though and it hasn't happened yet. It's the first of a 4-part series and I am so sure I'll like it that I've already bought the other three. I'm a big John Crowley fan, ever since reading his classic -- Little, Big -- and the reviews and descriptions of this series sound wonderful. Stay tuned... ( )
  Eye_Gee | May 8, 2017 |
I really wanted to like this one, but couldn't really get into it. Took it on vacation - maybe that's the problem - maybe it's not a vacation book. ( )
  GeetuM | Jun 3, 2016 |
Not any easy read as there are some rather dense sections chock full of enigmatic rambling, but otherwise I enjoyed this book by the author of _Little, Big_. Suffice to say it's not exactly linear or plot driven. "Once, the world was not as it has since become." When Crowley is good, he's great! ( )
1 vote dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |

John Crowleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Avon, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Horne, MatildeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lebailly, MoniqueTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Fantasy Masterworks (New design)
There were angels in the glass, two four six many of them, each one shuffling into his place in line like an alderman at the Lord Mayor's show.
This Work, originally published as Ægypt in 1987, was reissued by Overlook Press as The Solitudes (the author's preferred title) in 2007.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,586,621 books! | Top bar: Always visible