The Forgotten Garden: A Novel by Kate Morton

The Forgotten Garden: A Novel (original 2008; edition 2010)

by Kate Morton

Cassandra is lost, alone and grieving. Her much loved grandmother, Nell, has just died and Cassandra, her life already shaken by a tragic accident ten years ago, feels like she has lost everything dear to her. But an unexpected and mysterious bequest from Nell turns Cassandra's life upside down and ends up challenging everything she thought she knew about herself and her family. Inheriting a book of dark and intriguing fairytales written by Eliza Makepeace - the Victorian authoress who disappeared mysteriously in the early twentieth century - Cassandra takes her courage in both hands to follow in the footsteps of Nell on a quest to find out the truth about their history, their family and their past; little knowing that in the process, she will also discover a new life for herself.… (more)
Member:NoImagination
Title:The Forgotten Garden: A Novel
Authors:Kate Morton
Info:Washington Square Press (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 560 pages

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (2008)

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (starfishian, Loriel143)
    Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier (DaraBrooke)
    The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (starfishian, Cecrow)
    The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (Anonymous user)
    Fingersmith by Sarah Waters (starfishian)
    The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Stedman (dara85)
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (bookworm12)
    The Savage Garden by Mark Mills (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In each of these atmospheric novels tinged with all the best aspects of gothic novels -- old estates, family secrets, suspicious deaths -- a garden holds the answers the protagonists seek.
    The Hand That First Held Mine by Maggie O'Farrell (tandah)
    Latitudes of Melt by Joan Clark (beyondthefourthwall)
    I Found You by Lisa Jewell (beyondthefourthwall)
    beyondthefourthwall: Old, multilayered family mysteries and puzzles of identity, set along the English seashore.
    The George McDonald Treasury: Princess and the Goblin, Princess and Curdie, Light Princess, Phantastes, Giant's Heart, At the Back of the North Wind, Golden Key, and Lilith by George MacDonald (charlie68)
    Wildflower Hill by Kimberley Freeman (KimarieBee)
    KimarieBee: Family secrets
    Possession: A Romance by A. S. Byatt (casvelyn)
    casvelyn: So many similarities: the use of fairy tales, the multiple storylines in different time periods, the research into the past and family secrets
    The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (tandah)
    The Dream House by Rachel Hore (eilidhm)

English (377)  Spanish (11)  German (6)  Dutch (5)  Finnish (3)  French (3)  Catalan (3)  Italian (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (414)
4.5*
This was an enchanting story that spanned a century. Kate Morton's writing is beautifully lyrical and descriptive. The characters were so well fleshed out that I couldn't help but love them fully or completely despise them. The author does so well showing what the characters are like that you can't help but feel in a certain way towards them - even those that are are not so clearly "good" or "bad". This made me want my own Secret Garden and makes me want to go watch that movie as well. The only thing I struggled with, and is the reason I couldn't give it a full 5 stars is that the timeline jumps can be extremely confusing since they aren't always following a pattern. And the root of the stories are so similar (girls who lose their mothers at a young age which I'm sure was purposeful), that it was difficult to remember which plot I was currently following. I loved hearing about each plot line though, so didn't necessarily find myself wanting to get back to any particular character's plot. There were so many great themes discussed as well! This would be a great book to read and discuss in a book club. Who knows, I may end up changing my mind on this rating if it ends up staying with me long enough. ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
Clearly I am in the minority thinking that this book is only "good." It is better then a lot of more recent books I have read which probably leads so many people to think it is wonderful. Again, as in many modern books, we have a set of characters who's behavior has to be pushed and manipulated by the author to make the plot work...a plot that is predicable which is fine if you can make characters work. I will end with just one more question...
Do all British/Australian women spend months and months and months lying around, not working, not eating and never getting up or leaving their apartment because of a tragedy in their lives? The last few months I have read a round of books by British women set in modern day and in every single book there is someone who has behaved this way? ( )
  mcsp | Jan 25, 2021 |
Everyone needs to read this book! The mystery and history unfolds in such a slow, surprising way. It’s a gem of a book, one that I can envision reading again and again and finding something I didn’t notice during earlier readings.

What an impressive story. Kudos to Kate Morton for creating such an impressive timeline and story. The book transports you into a time and family lineage that brings forth so many emotions.

Very much like the fairy tales in the book, there are morals and morsels in The Forgotten Garden that are so poignant and inspiring.

“You have to make a life out of what you have, not what you’re missing.” ~ Ruby, The Forgotten Garden ( )
  coffeefairy | Nov 21, 2020 |
Takes awhile to get going but riveting once it gets going. Four story lines gets confusing but towards the end sorts itself out and provides a satisfying solution to the mysteries ( )
  charlie68 | Aug 24, 2020 |
A very enjoyable book. An opportunity to escape into a good book. A little bit of a mystery, love story, historic, plus deep connection with the protagonist. ( )
  Jolene.M | Jul 30, 2020 |
All the pieces don’t quite mesh, but it’s a satisfying read overall, just the thing for readers who like multigenerational sagas with a touch of mystery.
added by Christa_Josh | editBooklist, Mary Ellen Quinn (Apr 15, 2009)

Kate Mortonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Middelthon, Elisabet W.Overs.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mock-Maniscalco, DavinaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schroeder, CarlosTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Oliver and Louis
More precious than all the spun gold in Fairyland
It was dark where she was crouched but the little girl did as she'd been told.

A lost child: On the eve of the First World War, a little girl is found abandoned on a ship to Australia. A mysterious woman called the Authoress had promised to look after her - but has disappeared without a trace. A terrible secret: On the night of her twenty-first birthday, Nell Andrews learns a secret that will change her life forever. Decades later, she embarks upon a search for the truth that leads her to the windswept Cornish coast and the strange and beautiful Blackhurst Manor, once owned by the aristocratic Mountrachet family.A mysterious inheritance: On Nell's death, her granddaughter, Cassandra, comes into an unexpected inheritance. Cliff Cottage and its forgotten garden are notorious amongst the Cornish locals for the secrets they hold - secrets about the doomed Mountrachet family and their ward Eliza Makepeace, a writer of dark Victorian fairytales. It is here that Cassandra will finally uncover the truth about the family, and solve the century-old mystery of a little girl lost.
The key to an old
Secret will be found in the
Forgotten garden.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,276,371 books! | Top bar: Always visible