Which Witch? by Eva Ibbotson

Which Witch? (original 1979; edition 2009)

by Eva Ibbotson

1,080None7,738 (3.84)53
Member:Firegem800
Title:Which Witch?
Authors:Eva Ibbotson
Info:MacMillan UK (2009), Paperback, 208 pages

Which Witch? by Eva Ibbotson (1979)

English (11)  French (1)  All languages (12)
I loved this book so much that I must have re-read it at least eight times. Eva Ibbotson's style was hilarious and attractive, and the story appealed to me at the age at which I read it. ( )
  RhiannonAgnes | Mar 9, 2014 |
Predictable and long winded. I got bored with it in a hurry but the kids enjoyed it. ( )
  Ginerbia | Feb 14, 2014 |
With the threat of another, more powerful wizard approaching, Arriman the Awful decides to secure his lineage by holding a contest to decide which of the Todcaster witches will be his wife. There are only a handful of eligible contestants, as Arriman wants a wife who practices black magic. He finds, after his announcement, that those tend to be the dirty old crones and one young witch who fails every time she tries to do something evil, until she befriends an orphan boy. Suddenly, insignificant Belladonna can turn flowers into eyeballs.

First published in 1979, this book feels a lot like the quirkier parts of the early Harry Potter books. The creepier and more horrible the actions, the more the admiration for the character. It's fun yet not childish. ( )
  mstrust | Sep 17, 2013 |
Although Eva Ibbotson's The Secret of Platform 13 is the more well-known novel, I've always felt it's completely overrated. This, in my opinion, is her real work of genius. I read it repeatedly as a child and loved it more each time, finding great new aspects I'd missed each time. Now, many years later, it's still as adorable and enjoyable, with a complex plot, highly unique characters that grow on you, and a mystical, fantastical tone that anyone will love. Ibbotson demonstrates her great talent at plot twists as well in this great book! My one minor complaint is that she does spend a little too much time directly describing each character (your typical paragraph blurb, giving a physical description), and that's something that always disturbs my reading and my imagination in general.

Rating: 5/5 ( )
2 vote Runa | Feb 27, 2009 |

Eva Ibbotsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heikkinen, EevaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Large, AnnabelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Alan
As soon as he was born, Mr. and Mrs. Canker knew that their baby was not like other people's children.

Arriman the Awful, feared Great Wizard of the North, has decided to marry, because he must sire a child to carry on his tradition of Loathing Light and Blighting the Beautiful. But his wife must be a witch of the darkest powers... A sorcery competition among the witches of Todcaster is held to discover which witch is the most potent and fiendish. The competition begins, and each witch it turn pulls out of the cauldron her especially wicked spell. But some go terribly, horribly wrong. Glamorous Madame Olympia conjures up a thousand plague-bearing rats! Belladonna, the white witch, desperately wants to be a wicked enchantress, but her magic produces flowers instead of snakes. How can she become more devilish than all the other witches?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141304278, Paperback)

Arriman the Awful, Loather of Light and Wizard of the North, needs a wife. How else can he have a wizard baby to carry on the family tradition of blighting and smiting, blasting and wuthering? The problem is, wizards can only marry one kind of person--a witch. Arriman dreads the thought. "A great black crone with warts and blisters in unmentionable places from crashing about on her broom! You want me to sit opposite one of those every morning eating my cornflakes?" But a witch it must be, so Arriman holds a contest to decide which witch. The local witches are all atwitter over what spell they'll perform for the contest--all except Belladonna, who is, to her great shame, a white witch. She looks rather like the girl on the Clairol Herbal Essence bottle, with a sweet face and flowing blonde hair. "There was usually something in Belladonna's hair: A fledgling blackbird parked there by its mother while she went to hunt for worms, a baby squirrel wanting somewhere safe to eat its hazel nuts, or a butterfly who thought she was a lily or a rose."

Black spells are cast, enchantments are woven, and even Belladonna manages to do a little damage in this wonderfully clever 1979 book by Eva Ibbotson (of The Secret of Platform 13). Young readers will delight in the way Ibbotson glories in the ghoulish and the gory--and in her engaging characters who are kindly and fiendish all at once. Which Witch (finally reissued in the United States) begs to be read aloud, with before-bed-length chapters and lots of opportunities for funny voices. (Ages 9 and older) --Claire Dederer

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:35 -0400)

Deciding that he must sire a child to carry on his tradition of Loathing Light and Blighting the Beautiful, the Great Wizard Arriman announces a competition among the witches of Todcaster, one of whom will marry him.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,476,332 books! | Top bar: Always visible