Pastoralia by George Saunders

Pastoralia (original 2000; edition 2001)

by George Saunders

Member:pscindy
Title:Pastoralia
Authors:George Saunders
Info:Riverhead Trade (2001), Paperback, 208 pages
Tags:short stories

Pastoralia by George Saunders (2000)

A diverse collection of short stories, about people from very different walks of life. There's everything from neanderthals-on-display, to a revived corpse, to an autistic boy doing tricks on his bicycle. If you like strange, funny, neurotic, complicated characters with lots of self-conscious internal dialogue, then this is the collection for you. ( )
  BooksForYears | Apr 1, 2016 |
George Saunders is a great writer. He has written 3 short story collections and all are excellent. The main story is a novella in which the lead character is a caveman in a theme park that gets no business. Who creates that sort of story? Saunders has a great facility for creating long inner monologs that are very funny. His characters are people struggling on the edges of life, but he also creates rays of hope. If you are not familiar with him, then I suggest you pick up this book. It is not that long and this is someone who is very talented. ( )
  nivramkoorb | Mar 25, 2016 |
No one writes as painfully optimistically the sad dreams of ordinary people quite like Saunders. ( )
  reganrule | Mar 1, 2016 |
Pastoralia George Saunders
★★★
This is a collection of short stories set in America each one featuring someone who really needs to change their life and make a difference.
Unfortunately there were only 2 stories in the whole collection I actually liked Pastoralia and Sea Oak and even those didnt blow me away.
Of all the stories Pastoralia was the one that stuck with me and the one that made me chuckle most with the ridiculous messages from management to the cave people and the other show attractions.
All in all I could have lived without reading this. ( )
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |
Saunders can be brilliantly odd with his warped versions of the modern world ... but when the setting is more realistic, the stories become rather predictable. He's an unswerving optimist when it comes to human nature, so you always know the protagonist is going to choose the 'right' path. Nevertheless, when he's good, he's very, very good. ( )
  alexrichman | Jul 12, 2015 |
Here it is, revisited for our entertainment in George Saunders’ second collection of satirical short stories, the new-look land of the free: themed up, dumbed down and laid out ready for embalming. Saunders has been compared to Pynchon and Vonnegut, yet the disgust that fuels his world recalls Nathaniel West. He shares too West’s taste for grotesquery yet these stories are raised above the level of mordant masterpieces by an extra dimension: hope.

Saunders specialises in giving losers - the ugly, the weak, the self-absorbed - a flicker of appeal or delusional hope. We meet them in motivational seminars, drivers' education courses, walking home from dead-end jobs. We follow them to places like Sea Oak, with "no sea and no oak, just 100 subsidised apartments and a rear view of FedEx". Inside those apartments, the tenants are watching TV: "How My Child Died Violently is hosted by Matt Merton, a six-foot-five blond who's always giving the parents shoulder rubs and telling them they've been sainted by pain."

There are six stories in this collection. Four of them are very good, and the other two are at least good -- a success average that is highly unusual for a short-story collection. If, like your humble reviewer, you had to regularly review short-story collections, you would soon discover that they almost always suck -- tinseling suburban dullness with some distant derivative of the Joycean epiphany until you want to scream: Basta! That Saunders stories are on such a high level is close to miraculous.

Saunders's extraordinary talent is in top form in his second collection, in which his vision of a hellishly (and hopefully) exaggerated dystopia of late capitalist America is warmed and impassioned by his regular, irregular and flat-out wacky characters.
These characters may not have much, but they do possess the author's compassion, and so are enigmas of decency enshrouded in dark, TV-hobbled dumbness. Saunders, with a voice unlike any other writer's, makes these losers funny, plausible and absolutely winning.
added by steevohenderson | editPublishers Weekly (May 1, 2000)

The freakish, cowed characters filling Saunders's acclaimed debut, CivilWarLand in Bad Decline (1995), have spawned a new crop of unhappy, scabrously comic campers in these six stories, as the struggle among them to be happy and do the right thing continues.

Being inside the teeming heads of these folks is amusing and enlightening. So accurately are they rendered, in all their flawed glory, that they appear not only perfectly human but familiar.

added by steevohenderson | editKirkus Reviews (Apr 1, 2000)

For Paula
I have to admit I'm not feeling my best. Not that I'm doing so bad. Not that I really have anything to complain about. Not that I would actually verbally complain if I did have something to complain about. No. Because I'm Thinking Positive/ Saying Positive. I'm sitting back on my haunches, waiting for people to poke in their heads. Although it's been thirteen days since anyone poked in their head and Janet's speaking English to me more and more, which is partly why I feel so, you know, crummy.

Collects these stories:
"Pastoralia"
"Winky"
"Sea Oak"
"The End of FIRPO in the World"
"The Barber's Unhappines"
"The Falls"

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 074755000X, Paperback)

In both his acclaimed debut, CivilWarLand in Bad Decline, and his second collection, Pastoralia, George Saunders imagines a near future where capitalism has run amok. Consumption and the service economy rule the earth. The Haves are grotesque beings, mutilated by their crass desires and impossible wealth. The Have Nots are no less crippled, both emotionally and physically, by their inferior status. It's a kind of Westworld scenario, but instead of robots, the serving wenches, bellboys, and extras are real people, all of them mercilessly indentured by the free market.

Sounds like bleak stuff, doesn't it? Yet Saunders handles his characters with grace and humor. In the title story, for example, a couple occupies a squalid corner of a human zoo, where they act out a parody of caveman times, communicating in grunts and hand motions (speaking is instantly punishable by the Orwellian management) and conducting their lives during 15-minute smoke breaks. In "Winky," a born loser (really, all of Saunders's characters are born losers) visits a self-help seminar, where he's encouraged to rid himself of all those people who are "crapping in your oatmeal." Exhilarated at the prospect of dumping his simple, crazy-haired, religion-besotted sister, he returns home to the bleak discovery that he needs her as much as she needs him. The protagonist of "Sea Oak" works as a stripper in an aviation-themed restaurant and lives next to a crack house with his unemployed sisters, their babies, and a sweet old maid of an aunt. The aunt dies, and then returns from the grave--not so sweet, now, and still decomposing--with strange powers and a sobering message:

You ever been in the grave? It sucks so bad! You regret all the things you never did. You little bitches are going to have a very bad time in the grave unless you get on the stick, believe me!
The characters and situations in the rest of Pastoralia are equally wretched. But Saunders rescues them from utter despair with a loving belief in the triumph of the human spirit: yes, things can always get worse, but worse is better than the cold dirt of the grave. And in the small space between wretchedness and death there is plenty of room for laughter, and even love. --Tod Nelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:02 -0400)

From the publisher. Hailed by Thomas Pynchon as "graceful, dark, authentic, and funny," George Saunders now surpasses his New York Times Notable Book, CivilWarLand in Bad Decline, with this bestselling collection of stories set against a warped, hilarious, and terrifyingly recognizable American landscape.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,834,566 books! | Top bar: Always visible