Donde viven los monstruos by Maurice Sendak

Donde viven los monstruos (original 1963; edition 1996)

by Maurice Sendak

A naughty little boy, sent to bed without his supper, sails to the land of the wild things where he becomes their king.
Member:GreenBranch
Title:Donde viven los monstruos
Authors:Maurice Sendak
Info:HarperCollins Publishers (1996), Paperback
Tags:bilingual, Miscellaneous, Spanish, monsters

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak (1963)

The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka (bethielouwho)
    There's a Nightmare in My Closet by Mercer Mayer (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both deal with fantasy and imagination and both are from the genius of Sendack
    A Werewolf Named Oliver James by Nicholas John Frith (VaterOlsen)
    Miranda's umbrella by Val Biro (bookel)
    Dear Mili by Wilhelm Grimm (Hibou8)
    The Wild Things by Dave Eggers (sweetandsyko)
    sweetandsyko: where the wild things are is such a good childrens picture book. I recommend the wild things for adults to read! certain copies even have furry covers like the monsters from the story!
    Where the Mild Things Are: A Very Meek Parody by Maurice Send-up (bookel)
    Goodnight Opus by Berkeley Breathed (wosret)

English (1,290)  Spanish (4)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  German (1)  English (Middle) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  French (1)  All languages (1,300)
I loved this book and always have since I was young. One thing I love about this book is the quality of the drawings and that the drawing aid the story. This is shown in the few pages of the story that have no words but only pictures. The story really relies on the pictures to convey the story for those few pages. Another thing that I like about this story is that the writing is very short, clear and easy to read. The sentences are simple and broken apart over pages. This helps to show how short of a time that has passed through out the story. The main message of this story is that no matter how much of a monster someone is being, you don't stay mad at the people you love. ( )
  Mcolea1 | Feb 18, 2020 |
I first encountered this book as a child at my best friend Eric's house. I remember thinking of it more as a 'boy' book. He had all of the character dolls and we used to make the monsters walk tightropes and act out the story. When I read it to my own son, now 15, I marvelled at the spirit of Max and pondered upon the subject of the subjugation of children and the ethics therein. The entire message, however, is not about breaking the spirits of children, but about unconditional love and children's need for freedom within safe boundaries. ( )
  rrednour | Feb 13, 2020 |
This book has always been a favorite of mine. It shows that it is okay to accept that you are wrong sometimes. The message is important for people of every age. I feel that sometimes people of all ages need to be reminded of that. It shows and allows for everyone to be able to embrace their imagination and take a break from reality as sometimes it can be the best reality check you can have in a day. The overarching theme in this novel is imagination. Imagination can take us to so many places and help to solve so many of our problems in real life. ( )
  sbland1 | Feb 13, 2020 |
I really enjoyed this book because I loved how the reader is transported to the child's imaginary world. I believe that it is very normal and healthy for a child to experiment with creating a fictional place where they are in charge and have control over what occurs. I enjoyed how the language was simple and the whole book only contained 10 sentences overall. The breakup of the sentences throughout all of the pages built suspense of the story and brought us into the childhood mindset on how short moments can feel very drawn out. An example is when Max arrives at the island and he is describing the wild things: “..and rolled their terrible eyes and showed their terrible claws..” because we become curious as to what will happen when Max walks onto the island. The character is very relatable to most people because we all have moments when we felt frustrated as a child and as if we were transformed into some sort of wild beast with anger. I enjoyed the mother's subtle role in the book and how it was evident of her affection towards her son when she brought his dinner to his room. I liked how all the wild things looked different because it could have a subtle hint to the reader that even our monsters are different just like how people vary. I would say the big idea of the message is that sometimes we need to take ourselves out of an anger inducing situation in order to calm down and come back to a typical state of mind. ( )
  hgottl1 | Feb 12, 2020 |
The night Max wore his wolf suit and made mischief of one kind and another, his mother called him wild thing. And so he said, "I'll eat you UP!" And so he was sent to bed without eating anything.
...Max said, "BE STILL!" and tamed them with the magic trick of staring into all their yellow eyes without blinking once and they were frightened and called him the most wild thing of all and made him king of all wild things.
"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
This book uses the same ISBN as a Disney Counting book.

Plot Summary: Max, a bit of a troublemaker, is sent to bed by his mother without any dinner. Dressed in his wolf suite, Max falls asleep in his room where it then transforms into a forest where "wild things" live. This is where Max's adventure begins.

Extensions: positive/negative reinforcement, universal social problems, creativity
Sent to bed hungry?
Let the wild rumpus begin!
Master of my world.

(QuestingforaQuest)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,545,852 books! | Top bar: Always visible