Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

Where the Wild Things Are (original 1963; edition 1984)

by Maurice Sendak (Author), Maurice Sendak (Illustrator)

17,1831206151 (4.35)200
Member:KayMilshell21
Title:Where the Wild Things Are
Authors:Maurice Sendak (Author)
Other authors:Maurice Sendak (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Edition: First, 48 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Caldecott, fiction, creative, imagination

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak (1963)

The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka (bethielouwho)
    There's a Nightmare in My Closet by Mercer Mayer (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both deal with fantasy and imagination and both are from the genius of Sendack
    Miranda's umbrella by Val Biro (bookel)
    Dear Mili by Wilhelm Grimm (Hibou8)
    The Wild Things by Dave Eggers (sweetandsyko)
    sweetandsyko: where the wild things are is such a good childrens picture book. I recommend the wild things for adults to read! certain copies even have furry covers like the monsters from the story!
    Where the Mild Things Are: A Very Meek Parody by Maurice Send-up (bookel)
    Goodnight Opus by Berkeley Breathed (wosret)

English (1,196)  Spanish (4)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  German (1)  English (Middle) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  French (1)  All languages (1,206)
I chose to read Where The Wild Things Are this week because Maurice Sendak's book has been on the banned books list at some libraries for children. The story follows a little boy named Max who is rambunctious and curious about the world around him. After being sent to his room without dinner, he uses his imagination to create a world "where the wild things are". After adventures with the beasts in his new world, he gets homesick and decides to return home to reality. I think this book is a great read for younger children because it allows them to explore their creativity. It encourages children broadening their horizons and imagination while also instilling the value that there is no place like home. I think the main character is very relatable to a younger audience, therefore children tend to enjoy this book. ( )
  MargaretStrahan | Sep 25, 2018 |
I really liked this book. I remember reading this book as i was a child and back then I don't think I realized the meaning of the story as much as i do now. Although I wasn't a fan of the illustrations because of their dark feel I felt like they still helped provide the bigger picture to the story. This book is about Max, a young boy was waiting for dinner when he started dreaming. Max dreamt of monsters that wanted to eat him because they were so hungry. The story goes on about the monsters and max interacting, eventually Max wakes up and realizes he was hungry and that was why he had that dream. This story shows how children can have a crazy imagination. It also shows that although it was a dream, Max loved going on an adventure. I would recommend this book to children at the school age level. ( )
  Bcleme4 | Sep 25, 2018 |
A childhood memory, I read this book aloud with my dad when younger and it was an all-time favorite of mine. When finding out this was a banned book I wondered how all I remembered this book for was the illustrations of monsters which I thought had a friendly relationship with the boy. When rereading I quickly realized it was a book of a child put to bed hungry. As a young child, my innocent mind seemed to skip over this detail and assume it was a figment of the little boy's imagination. The book goes on to show the monster's wanting to eat the little boy until he gets homesick and his "nightmare" is over and he goes back to his room to find his super in his room. This books ban was a shock to me and I quickly wondered why, as I googled I began to see it was a story of a young boy put to bed so starving hungry that these illustrations were representations of his hallucinations. This book as I reread I considered how this may seem to a child. ( )
  mprochnow | Sep 24, 2018 |
After acting up at home Max is sent to bed without dinner. Max imagines a world full of wild things. The wild things are big, scary monsters, but Max is able to tame them and become their king. Max parades around the jungle with his new friends the wild things. However, Max becomes homesick. Max says goodbye to the wild things and returns home, where he finds his dinner waiting for him.

I would use this book for grades Kindergarten through 3rd. This is a great tool to teach children about imagination. The teacher could add extension activities such as having the kids write about their own wild thing, or create one using art supplies. The children can use their imagination to create their own wild thing or narrative. ( )
  KaleyD | Sep 19, 2018 |
Classroom Extension ideas: 1. Have the kids make their very own wild thing/monsters. 2. Tell them to close their eyes and play some music and just let their imaginations run wild (be prepared with writing/drawing tools and supplies for them to use to capture their images) ( )
  Indiam16 | Sep 18, 2018 |
The night Max wore his wolf suit and made mischief of one kind and another, his mother called him wild thing. And so he said, "I'll eat you UP!" And so he was sent to bed without eating anything.
...Max said, "BE STILL!" and tamed them with the magic trick of staring into all their yellow eyes without blinking once and they were frightened and called him the most wild thing of all and made him king of all wild things.
"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
This book uses the same ISBN as a Disney Counting book.

Plot Summary: Max, a bit of a troublemaker, is sent to bed by his mother without any dinner. Dressed in his wolf suite, Max falls asleep in his room where it then transforms into a forest where "wild things" live. This is where Max's adventure begins.

Extensions: positive/negative reinforcement, universal social problems, creativity
Sent to bed hungry?
Let the wild rumpus begin!
Master of my world.

(QuestingforaQuest)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060254920, Hardcover)

Where the Wild Things Are is one of those truly rare books that can be enjoyed equally by a child and a grown-up. If you disagree, then it's been too long since you've attended a wild rumpus. Max dons his wolf suit in pursuit of some mischief and gets sent to bed without supper. Fortuitously, a forest grows in his room, allowing his wild rampage to continue unimpaired. Sendak's color illustrations (perhaps his finest) are beautiful, and each turn of the page brings the discovery of a new wonder.

The wild things--with their mismatched parts and giant eyes--manage somehow to be scary-looking without ever really being scary; at times they're downright hilarious. Sendak's defiantly run-on sentences--one of his trademarks--lend the perfect touch of stream of consciousness to the tale, which floats between the land of dreams and a child's imagination.

This Sendak classic is more fun than you've ever had in a wolf suit, and it manages to reaffirm the notion that there's no place like home.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:23 -0400)

A naughty little boy, sent to bed without his supper, sails to the land of the wild things where he becomes their king.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,034,050 books! | Top bar: Always visible