Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

Where the Wild Things Are (original 1963; edition 1967)

by Maurice Sendak

A naughty little boy, sent to bed without his supper, sails to the land of the wild things where he becomes their king.
Member:leicsteenagefiction
Title:Where the Wild Things Are
Authors:Maurice Sendak
Info:Bodley Head Children's Books (1967), Edition: New Ed, Hardcover, 38 pages

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak (1963)

There's a Nightmare in My Closet by Mercer Mayer (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both deal with fantasy and imagination and both are from the genius of Sendack
    Miranda's umbrella by Val Biro (bookel)
    A Werewolf Named Oliver James by Nicholas John Frith (VaterOlsen)
    Dear Mili by Wilhelm Grimm (Hibou8)
    The Wild Things by Dave Eggers (sweetandsyko)
    sweetandsyko: where the wild things are is such a good childrens picture book. I recommend the wild things for adults to read! certain copies even have furry covers like the monsters from the story!
    Where the Mild Things Are: A Very Meek Parody by Maurice Send-up (bookel)
    Goodnight Opus by Berkeley Breathed (wosret)

English (1,340)  Spanish (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  English (Middle) (1)  German (1)  All languages (1,351)
I bought a classic book for the family. I did not read it while growing up. However, I have heard of it. It's called "Where Wild Things Are" by Maurice Sendak. I knew about this book and heard of it. Why I never read it is beyond me. I have not read it and reviewed it now.

It is adventurous and playful. Max travels to a faraway place that has Wild Things. I wonder if this book plot is imagination or something that lets the little boy discover what it is like to be lonely after a while. Also, learn that loved ones still care even if you have to wait. The food will still be hot when you return.

I am not sure. However, the pictures are well done. I do enjoy the images. I do not get the plot of this story; that might be me; it is a cute book nonetheless. Will Max have fun with the wild things, or will he return home to his bedroom?

Some children will enjoy these books, and parents will want to read and reread this classic book for their children. You may like this for your child's bookshelves as well. The images are superb and colorful, that is for sure. ( )
  Lindz2012 | Jun 15, 2021 |
Classic. Great to read on a rainy day. Might be familiar to many of the children. Ideal for 2nd grade and under. Kids can relate to Max, the main character and can guess what really happened. ( )
  smabile | Jun 8, 2021 |
Fabulous children's picture book, a timeless classic. On a night when Max ,makes mischief he is sent to bed without any supper- journey to the land of the wild things- king of the forest- misses home, returns and his supper is waiting for him and it is still hot! ( )
  LibraryWildThing | Jun 2, 2021 |
This was a book I read when it came out and it always stuck with me. I liked that he was sent to a world of monsters because growing up I was interested in that kind of stuff. This would be a good book to read to the class for 3rd grade and under. ( )
  Kym23 | Apr 30, 2021 |
I read this book at an unofficial story time at Barnes and Noble today, to my daughter and six My Little Ponies that she set up to flatter me with a larger audience. My daughter is well aquatinted with little boys' penchant for being wild and obstreperous, so Max's behavior and punishment did not come as a shock. What did capture her attention, however, was the transformation of Max's bedroom into a forest, an ocean, and an island inhabited by wild things--she said, "My room doesn't do that." (According to my daughter, these wild things freaked Pink Pie out!) What caught my attention was the clever bridging of Max's imaginative world and reality, with the smell of his hitherto forbidden dinner as an isthmus between worlds. In the end, my daughter pronounced the book to be "more for boys" and Rainbow Dash called it "Fashionable!" ( )
  chrisvia | Apr 29, 2021 |

Is contained in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

The night Max wore his wolf suit and made mischief of one kind and another his mother called him “WILD THING!” and Max said “I’LL EAT YOU UP!” so he was sent to bed without eating anything.
... and an ocean tumbled by with a private boat for Max and he sailed off through night and day and in and out of weeks and almost over a year to where the wild things are.
And when he came to the place where the wild things are they roared their terrible roars and gnashed their terrible teeth and rolled their terrible eyes and showed their terrible claws ...
... till Max said, “BE STILL!” and tamed them with the magic trick of staring into all their yellow eyes without blinking once and they were frightened and called him the most wild thing of all and made him king of all wild things.
“And now,” cried Max, “let the wild rumpus start!”
This book uses the same ISBN as a Disney Counting book.

Plot Summary: Max, a bit of a troublemaker, is sent to bed by his mother without any dinner. Dressed in his wolf suite, Max falls asleep in his room where it then transforms into a forest where "wild things" live. This is where Max's adventure begins.

Extensions: positive/negative reinforcement, universal social problems, creativity
Sent to bed hungry?
Let the wild rumpus begin!
Master of my world.

(QuestingforaQuest)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,983,427 books! | Top bar: Always visible